Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #11
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pumping at work beyond 1 year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmom10 View Post
No, DD is in a daycare center. They have no problems giving breastmilk for kids over 1. They supply whole milk to kids over 1, but if parents want/need to send alternate milks then that's totally fine by them. Once DD is on cow's milk at daycare we'll be sending organic since we've chosen that route for our family. Our daycare is very breastfeeding-friendly but I don't see why a daycare would have a problem with you sending in milk as long as a refrigerator is available (and it should be).

Sorry to be blunt, but you're the parent and IMO if you want your child getting EBM then that's what they need to do. I would not ask them, I would just politely tell them that your baby will be continuing to get breastmilk in a cup until he weans. I would go into it matter-of-factly and point out that it's no different from a parent sending cow's milk in every day.

If they participate in the USDA food program you might have more difficulty. Speak with the director if necessary - I would be tempted to claim a dairy sensitivity if they take a hard line and say he can't have breast milk. Since you're a dairy-free family that shouldn't be too tough to pull off.
I agree. It is no different than a parent who chooses to send any other alternate milk, such as soy milk or whatever. I don't see why they would have a problem with it, and if they did, I would make a stink! My daycare provided cow's milk, but if you wanted something else you just had to send it from home every day.

Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #12
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by melilo View Post
As my son approaches his first birthday, I have a few questions for veterans out there who have kept pumping beyond the first year.

1. Do you still pump as much, or have you cut back the number of times you pump? I am currently pumping twice per 8 hour shift. When I went back to work at 9 weeks old I pumped 3 times in 8 hours. I quit my job when he was 7 months old but was pumping 3 times still. I have only pumped a few times since then and just gave a way my freezer stash bc is was getting 'old'. I plan to return to work in a few weeks pending I get this job and plan to pump 1 time in 9 hours. Basically to keep up my supply. I really don't know how I will give it too ds he's 14 months.

2. Do you still give them milk in a bottle, or would you start to put it in a sippy or other cup? He still gets milk in bottles, but he does drink juice and water from a sippy. DS HATES drinking anything other than water from a sippy. We tried bm, cows milk, and a little cranberry juice and the answer was no. He spits out cows milk so I stopped even trying and he has only had juice 2 times and don't plan on giving him any again. So I am not sure how we will give him the bm I pump at the babysitter-who has a home care. I really don't want to reintroduce a bottle since he hasn't used a bottle since January, but wonder if it will also help him take a nap for the babysitter, since he isn't on a schedule and doesn't sleep in a playpin like he will there! Right now he nurses in the morning, before naps, nighttime, and during the night. He has really cut down on nursing during the day and I offer it probably 6 times a day and he usually just isn't interested. So I am trying to think of ways to use the bm in the food he will eat at the babysitter...any ideas?
[/COLOR]
3. How long did you pump at work, and did you get any flack for doing it longer than 1 year? I don't expect any, but I will be armed with witty responses just in case. And, I know technically the law only protects the right to pump for the first 12 months. I am unsure about how my potential job will react but they know I nurse him now. I figured I will cross that bridge if I get there plus I plan on doing it during my lunch or breaks so they really have nothing to say about that. I just hope I will be given the opportunity to use a office because my job would mostly be outdoor. Otherwise I plan on pumping in my car and storing the milk in a cooler or staff refrigerater in a cooler. I will probably buy the medela clean wipes to make it a little easier.
Thanks. =)

Congrats to everyone for being dedicated to breastfeeding after 1!!!!

Update-So I have been pumping for a few days and OMG I am only getting 1/2 oz combined breast! Starting to freak a little bc I wanted to have a few days worth frozen. I just bought the Motherlove supplements from babysteals so hopefully it will help. But I did decide to pump 2 times in 9 hours after talking with my lactation consultant.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524

Last edited by NappyChappy; 08-03-2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: updated
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #13
mamayogibear
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for all the information on this thread mamas! Since my son has been out of daycare while I have been fortunate enough to be a WAHM since May I was worried about pumping for him when he returns to daycare as a one year old next month. I started pumping once a day earlier this week to build up a 'stash'. I hope to get positive reactions from the daycare when he starts there in September.

Oh and congratulations to those of you who have made it this far and have been an inspiration to other mothers like me
Old 08-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

updated my post

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:05 PM   #15
somegirl99
Registered Users

1. Do you still pump as much, or have you cut back the number of times you pump? I am currently pumping twice per 8 hour shift.

I am still pumping as much (usually 3 times in a day) but DS is still not eating much solids and not drinking anything besides BM (I have tried water in all sorts of different cups but he doesn't want it).

2. Do you still give them milk in a bottle, or would you start to put it in a sippy or other cup? He still gets milk in bottles, but he does drink juice and water from a sippy.

Currently still getting it in a bottle, the last few times we tried a cup he got frustrated. As mentioned above, he is not yet taking a cup for anything else though. I'm going to get the nanny to work more on cups.

3. How long did you pump at work, and did you get any flack for doing it longer than 1 year? I don't expect any, but I will be armed with witty responses just in case. And, I know technically the law only protects the right to pump for the first 12 months.

I'm at 12.5 months now, haven't gotten any flak for it yet, even though the other moms around seem to all stop BFing before a year. My manager (who has no kids) is very supportive, helped me get out of an international trip partly because I had no idea how I'd safely travel with the milk.
somegirl99 is offline   Reply With Quote