Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2007, 07:38 AM   #1
BlushingEwe
Registered Users
Formerly: blueblueMummy
seller

My Mood:
Travel with cloth?

Hello all.
I just need some advise and wanted to hear what you all do in similar situations. We are traveling to UK from US June 1st for 3 week holiday. We have never done this with a diapered child before.
My Dd will be 2yrs then and is still not potty learned although we thought she was going that way. But now I am back to washing every other day again. Sigh.
First I have the problem of the 14+ hour journey, I think I may have to use sposies, but we have never used them before, I dont know what to buy and I worry it will give her a rash. I know there are some that are supposed to be enviromentally friendly but I have read that they are really not that much better then pampers. ideas?

We are staying with my mother in law and will have access to her laundry, but in the past I have had difficulty because her washer is much slower then mine. And they line dry everything. Which means I can't use the AIO's my DH loves because they take days to dry if you dont use a dryer. I can use prefolds and covers, but noone else will change Dd becasue they say they are these are too hard to use?
My Dh does not see the issue, he says "just wash more often".
Yeah, I feel like spedning my whole holiday washing diapers. Grr!

I am losing sleep over this. Can you help me?

Thanks

Advertisement

Old 04-03-2007, 09:11 AM   #2
aran_knitter
Registered Users

Re: Travel with cloth?

I was just considering this sort of thing this morning, because we will be traveling quite a bit this summer. And I decided to go with disposables. I really don't want to have to worry about washing and drying, plus - why take up needed luggage space?... and (I hope this doesn't happen) what if you get stuck somewhere? It would certainly be easier to have a stash of disposables with, than deal with a bunch of dirty diapers and no way to wash them.

Yes I would rather have her in cloth, but, as long as I change her frequently, she will stay "dry" most of the time, and we should be able to avoid diaper rash. I cringe when friends tell me they can get away with only 4 disposables a day - yuck!

Sooo... my vote is go disposable, but that's just my .

http://bruisedreed.wordpress.com/
aran_knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:13 PM   #3
BlushingEwe
Registered Users
Formerly: blueblueMummy
seller

My Mood:

I bought some sposises to try and Dd hates them, she says they are scratchy and Owwee, and hates the way they crinkle.
And it dosent help that her 4yr old brother laughed at her and asked me why I made her paper pants.
I think we might make it work just on the plane. I got idea from a mama to try flats.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would do cloth, but that's me. DD gets a rash even in the non-chloring "good" sposies from the crunchy store, so I won't go that route. Pockets w/ microfiber towels are very fast-washing and, as long as you use the right detergent, should wash well - just watch out for build-up, maybe pre-soak in a wet pail before washing.

We're leaving for South Carolina thursday (driving 11 hrs each way *shudder*) and dd will be in cloth the entire time.

Good luck!
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:21 PM   #5
christi2705
Registered Users
seller

Our last few vacations (all in the US), we used sposies on for the trip and then cloth once we got there. They did take up alot of luggage space though.

I would have to say that I would be very tempted to just use sposies if laundry was going to be a issue.

My dd never had a problem with rashes and sposies...I used Pampers Crusiers. If you are worried about it though you could always make some cheap fleece liners that you could toss with the sposies if needed. That way the diaper wouldn't be touching her.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:27 PM   #6
joycemama_6
Registered Users
seller

I just spent a total of twenty four hours on the road during spring break and I brought my cloth diapers with me. It wasn't bad at all! I didn't use a fancy diaper pail, I just brought along a garbage bag and lots of prefolds and trifold soakers. I was worried that there would be stink issues, but there wasn't at all. We stayed with my husband's family and I just washed every other day. I threw a dry towel in with the diapers and they dried in one cycle. It really was no trouble at all. I think you should go for it and bring the cloth along!

joycemama_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:35 PM   #7
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Okay, normally I don't give out this kind of advice but here you are: I have traveled to the UK many times and have stayed for extended periods. I know what you mean about the washers being quite different and slower. I have not traveled with my DD over there yet, nor do I intend to while she or my other baby are in diapers, but this is what I suggest. Huggies Supream are not the best sposies in the world but they are a little softer. See if she can tolerate those, if she can't then I would suggest another alternative of using pockets with inserts because you can line dry them, even when the weather is balmy and they will not take all that long to dry, (maybe two hours tops in yucky weather, takes about an hour in CA for mine to dry). I wouldn't bring any more than a dozen because of the space it takes up (but maybe since you have to purchase a ticket for your DD already it doesn't matter much but you have to fit all that into a vehicle on the way to the airport and on the way back.
Pockets are still soft after being line dried and your DD will not get that crunchy feeling. If she does not like the paper diapers, she will not like the line dried AIO's or prefolds. Depending on where you are traveling there might be a diaper store there. You could probably pick up some FB or HH real cheap on FSOT and sell them for just as cheap as soon as you get back. You are also going to have to worry about security searching your wetback, and they probably will.
Good luck
Old 04-04-2007, 07:03 AM   #8
Legendadry Perc
Registered Users

Yes, I perfer flats when traveling. Yesterday I heard of a mama that put cloth inside her disposables. Not sure what this would acomplish, but I'd never thought of it, and it might help if you want to do sposies, with how they feal (and keeping chemicals in less contact with her skin).
Personally, I guess I like a challenge, and have come to like doing cloth on trips. I second the pockets idea as well. For fast drying, I use one layer of flannel, or even get some cheap flannel recieving blankets.
Legendadry Perc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:48 AM   #9
e_mom_e
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oooh what about the g-diapers that would be an inbetween thing...not quite like sposies but not quite the bulk and hassle of cloth while traveling...and maybe you could still take a few cloth to do when you are there, like you mentioned about the flats. (and also if like a pp mentioned and you line dry just throw them in the dryer to fluff with a wet wash cloth. that will soften them right up)