Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

Please help me sort out these car seats.

What is so special about the Recaro seats? I'm looking at them on rightstart.com (which has them on sale for $219 right now), and trying to figure it out.

Also, what is the difference between the britax marathon and the boulevard? They both look like they RF to 40 lbs., and FF to 70 lbs. The only thing I can see is that the Boulevard has side impact "wings" (is there a proper term for that?). What am I missing?

I would like to have those "wings", but is it worth paying another $60+ for them?

How does the Safety 1st Complete Air 65 LX, and the Safety 1st Protect Air Onboard SE compare to the Britax Boulevard from a safety standpoint? I understand they all have to meet the basic standards.

One more question, how do the TrueFit seats compare to the Britax seats? There is such a big price difference, I'm trying to figure out why the Britax are so much more.

We have a 15 passenger van, so space isn't an issue.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my persistent questions, I do appreciate it!

Advertisement

dressagemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Britax seats are no better than a safety first seat. The blvd and marathon are the same exact seat except the marathon doesn't have the head wings. I had a marathon 70 and likes it but didn't live it. I want to rf as long as possible and they have short shells so my son would outgrow the seat before a lot of other seats on the market. The complete air is a good seat. Be aware dorel requires it to be installed at a 45 degree angle. It also has a strict 40 inch rf limit. The onside air is basically a fancy scenera. It also has a shorter shell and won't last as long ff. One seat you didn't mention was a graco Myride. This was my favorite seat. It's a perfect rf seat although it is known for being difficult to install ff. It will keep a child harnessed for a good about of time ff. It also has a decent shell for rfing room. It was easy to install and use. I currently have a radian xtsl. His is my favorite but its known to be difficul to install in different cars. Id take a trip to bru and try some seats out and see what you like.

Sent from my EVO using DS Forum
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please help me sort out these car seats.

Recaro is a known racing name. Their seats are nice, with nice covers. Britax is the same way. They are a well-known name with nice covers and some extras like lock-offs. None of them are any safer or less safe than any other seat.

My very favorite seat is the True Fit. It's "downside" is that is "only" rear-faces to 35lbs. That got my lead-boned DS to almost 3 and will get my lightweight DD well beyond 3- probably to 4. It has nice high top slots and a tall shell. It has lock-offs, too.

The MyRide mentioned above is probably my 2nd favorite seat, rear-facing anyway. It's so easy to install and use.

The Evenflo Triumph 65 and Momentum are also well-loved seats. They also rear=face to 40lbs, and have some nice features.

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:54 AM   #4
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Love my Marathon 70, I didn't bother paying extra for the head wings, the new gen Britax seats have really deep shells anyways so I wasn't really worried about side impact protection.

We also have a true fit and it's really nice, I like that it has a lower profile so I can get DS into my SUV without bonking him on the head repeatedly. He's 2 1/2 and 30 lbs so he will still be able to rear face in it for a while. they are excellent seats and usually you can find them on the "deal" sites like dealomite.com or nobetterdeal.com or even ebay for a little over $100. I got mine on ebay, it was new but the box was damaged.

As for the Recaro seats...I have a ProSport (harness/booster combo) for my DD who is 4. I don't think I would buy one of their convertible seats because I hear they aren't that great for extended rear facing, there are other seats that give the kids a little more leg room. I do love the ProSport and we also have one of their boosters although DD isn't old enough to use it yet. they are very well made!

I had a complete air and sold it after the 45 degree angle thing because I was using it rear facing anyways and there was no way I could install it at that kind of angle. I also found it annoying to get DS in and out of, but I have a small SUV and the head wings would kind of get in the way when I was lifting him into his seat.
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all the input! I am happy to see that some of the lower priced seats are getting good reviews. Although I would def. spend more money for a better seat to keep my DD safer, if I can spend less for the same level of safety, well now, that's icing on the cake!

I have DS2 in a SK Radian (65? can't remember right now). Although I do like that it is easy to install, has a high back so he can sit in it for a long time, is harnessed to 65 lbs (or whatever), it is so darned heavy! Plus, I really dislike how the buckles slide way to the back, and I have to dig them out every.single.time I buckle him in. I also have trouble with the shoulder straps twisting (not badly, just more than the Chicco keyfit we currently have DD3 in and britax we used have for DS2).

I've been checking out the Triumph65, Trufit, and Momentum seats. It looks like the momentum has shorter harness slots, so it may not work for an older child. Does anyone have experience with that?

The triumph looks like some people have trouble with the straps twisting. Either that one or the truefit look like some people have trouble adjusting the harness snugness in the RFing position. Again, anyone have experience with that?

My final question for the night: in the Britax, Chicco, and Radian seats I've had, there has been plenty of padding. Very cushy seats. How do the Triumph, Truefit, and Momentum compare? This is *very* important to me, as we do spend a fair amount of time traveling.

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

I am so conflicted. Part of me thinks I should just buy another Radian for DD, since I'm pretty sure that's the last seat I'll need for her, and just deal with the stuff I don't really like. The other part says that if I can find a seat that I like better (or even equally), for less money, I should buy it. I think I need to take another trip to BRU and check them out in person.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #7
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

The True Fit is cushy. What it comes down to with seats is that the more expensive seats are going to have more bells and whistles, nicer covers, more foam and padding and may be easier to install and use.

The best seat is the one that fits your child, fits your vehicle and that can be used correctly 100% of the time. It is not necessary to spend hundreds of dollars on a seat. If it is something that you want to do and you can afford it then great. A $39 Cosco Scenera is safer when used properly than a misused Britax or Recaro or Sunshine Kids seat.

BRU is starting to carry the True Fit under the Lamaze brand. I have found this seat to be very easy to install and use. It has very high "Ease of Use" ratings. This seat is awesome for long, lean kids.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

I'm planning a trip to BRU next week to do some field testing. I looked at several seats today in my local big box store, but didn't have time to try them out in my van. Plus they won't let me take it out to my van.

I do have another question: is the Britax Marathon cushier than the truefit and myride?
Old 07-20-2011, 09:41 PM   #9
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Britax Marathon is no cushier than the MyRide or TrueFit.

Of those seats, the True Fit is my favorite. I love the ease of adjustment, and that it is wide, so older kids don't feel cramped. DD is 4 and she is kind of cramped in her Boulevard/Marathon, but isn't cramped at all in her TrueFit.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:38 PM   #10
an_aurora
Registered Users

I don't know, I find the My Ride to be nice and cushy with the infant insert but without it it's not very cushy. The True Fit has padding in the cover like the Marathon.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote