Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
doodlebugs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
sharing a room...

we are getting ready to move dd(1)in a room with ds(3) until we get our room built on..so how does it work..do you put them in the bed at the same time..what if dd wakes up ds or vise versa..will they play all night..not sure what to do about bedtime and also naps..please share what you do if your kids share a room..thanks

Advertisement

doodlebugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
wooly_wonderful
Registered Users
Formerly: lxl***ca
seller

My Mood:
Last month we put our 1 year old ds in the same room as our 3 year old ds. The both go to sleep at 8:30. My 3 year old was having a very hard time falling asleep. Now that his brother is in there, he only comes out about 2 times when we lay him down. I think he likes having someone in there with him. Occasionally they do wake each other up, but they both go back to sleep in a matter of minutes. If my 3 year old wakes up in the middle of the night, he comes to our bed to sleep. If my 1 year olds crys for more than a couple minutes, we get him and lay him with us. For us it has worked out great.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
wooly_wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: sharing a room...

VERY interested in the responses. We need to do the same for a 15mo and a 28mo...
Old 07-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS1 (4 years old) and DS2 (21 months) started sharing a room a couple weeks ago. Naptime is pretty easy for us... DS1 doesn't nap, but he does take quiet time. DS2 still naps, though. So we put DS1 in our room, with a movie and he gets his rest time, while DS2 naps in their room.

Bedtime is a little more difficult. They go to bed at the same time, and DS2 fights sleep so bad. He keeps DS1 awake, by climbing on his bed or throwing toys at him. Their bedtime is 8pm, and there have been a few nights where they're up fighting/playing until 10-11pm. I'm exhausted, so I usually break down and put DS1 in our room, leaving DS2 alone in their room. They both fall asleep fairly quickly after that, and then I move DS1 back into his bed. It's probably not the best way to deal with the issues, but I'm 38+ weeks pregnant, and it's the easist thing to do right now .

We haven't had any problems with either of them waking the other during the night. DS1 gets up a few times to use the bathroom, but it's never bothered DS2.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
purna079
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Im prolly going to do this in a few more month...fora 6 mo. old and a 21 mo. old

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
OoBeeSoap.com
purna079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Our girls share a room! They are 3 1/2 and almost 1 and have been sharing for about 9 months.

We have their routines somewhat staggered. They do NOT go to bed at the same time. They bathe together, then I take younger DD and get her dressed while older DD finishes up in the tub I get older DD's pajamas/diaper/blankets out of their room. About the time I sit down to rock younger DD for a bit, older DD is getting out of the tub and gets dressed in the living room. If hubby isn't home, they both get out of the tub at the same time and older DD has to sit quietly with milk or a snack while I rock younger DD.

Then I put younger DD in bed. I am able to lay her down fully awake and she will put herself to sleep. I help older DD finish getting ready for bed. We read 3 books and usually have milkk or a snack. We finish up with teeth brushing, potty, then diapering and hubby or I takes her into bed after younger DD is asleep. If the younger is not asleep when the older is ready for bed, I might stretch it out and read one more book or do a puzzle or play flashcards with her.

This has worked amazingly well for us.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
MommaTooters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My boys share a room...again. We tried it when they were younger but it just didn't work out well. My oldest needed his alone time and having his own room worked well for quite some time. We just recently put them back in the same room with bunk beds and blue walls, a blue that the oldest picked out!!

For the most part they do well. Sometimes for naps I have to seperate them but not all the time. At night time we read a couple books, say our prayers and I turn their tv on (Yep, sure do!) and they watch a movie to fall asleep. We leave it playing all night long otherwise they wake up because it's too quiet. We live within the city limits and have very close neighbors so sometimes the noise outside can be bothersome.

Some nights are easier than others, I think when school starts this fall we may let the older one stay up a little later like a previous poster does, for some quality time and time to let little brother fall asleep. Maybe!
MommaTooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
ArmyMommyTo3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 2 year old and 5 year old girls share a room. The boys do too, but we don't have my stepson all the time...
Honestly, I have a heck of a time getting them to go to sleep, but that is because my ODD is a butt and doesn't ever want to sleep. Always been a problem and she would sneak in the other kids' rooms and wake them even when they DIDN'T share. Only my YDD naps (well and her bro), so I don't have to worry about it at that time. Just have to keep ODD occupied and away from the bedrooms. I think she gets lonely... Back when both girls napped, I laid them down at the same time. At bedtime, they still do to sleep together. I found it was harder for YDD to get sleep if she went to bed before her sister. She would get woken up all.the.time.
My YDD still wakes up in the middle of the night for a diaper change. She has a derm. condition and it burns her "area" when she gets too much moisture down there. And since she doesn't want to PL anytime soon... ODD hardly ever is woken up my her sister yelling for a change.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:03 AM   #9
sixteen
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmisterkitty View Post
Our girls share a room! They are 3 1/2 and almost 1 and have been sharing for about 9 months.

We have their routines somewhat staggered. They do NOT go to bed at the same time. They bathe together, then I take younger DD and get her dressed while older DD finishes up in the tub I get older DD's pajamas/diaper/blankets out of their room. About the time I sit down to rock younger DD for a bit, older DD is getting out of the tub and gets dressed in the living room. If hubby isn't home, they both get out of the tub at the same time and older DD has to sit quietly with milk or a snack while I rock younger DD.

Then I put younger DD in bed. I am able to lay her down fully awake and she will put herself to sleep. I help older DD finish getting ready for bed. We read 3 books and usually have milkk or a snack. We finish up with teeth brushing, potty, then diapering and hubby or I takes her into bed after younger DD is asleep. If the younger is not asleep when the older is ready for bed, I might stretch it out and read one more book or do a puzzle or play flashcards with her.

this sounds great---soon we will have two girls sharing a room at 6 and 28m. thanks for sharing!
sixteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #10
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmisterkitty View Post

This is our routine exactly (except no bedtime snack). Unfortunately, DS (1) doesn't even almost sleep through the night. Their bedroom is upstairs, ours is downstairs, so eventually he ends up in a pack n' play in our room. But his night waking rarely bothers DD. If it does she goes right back to sleep.

Occasionally when we put DS down for bedtime he won't go to sleep right away. If DD goes in when he's still awake they will sometimes fuss/play a bit and it might take longer for them both to fall asleep, but nothing that really becomes a problem.
CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote