Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
Sempergumbywife
Registered Users

My Mood:
Eczema on 3 year old- Help

So My DD who is 3 1/2 has been fighting eczema all her life. We have been using steriod cream-( not heavily as over prolonged use it can thin the skin-permenatley) but we did have to bump up the % to make the small amount more effective-and she also takes ,orally, zyrtec for the alleregy side of it. That combined with baking soda in her bath- every other night baths at most so as not to dry her out and daily steriod cream followed by heavy lotion/cream- to keep mositure in. Ok all this and it just barley contains it. When she has flare up- ie we skip lotion and s. cream one day or for no reason I can find just random flare ups - then she will scratch herself till she bleeds. She has woken herself up crying because she was scratching so much her feet were starting to bleed-horrible and totally heartbreaking!! Now that it is summer and she is in and out of the pool so much- bathing everyday to get chlorine off- even with all of this she is getting flare-ups. Doc says it is probably an allergy but she is "too small a three year old to test for allergies" we will have to wait till she is bigger.So last piece of puzzle I can offer- I have not noticed any difference in her diet to flare-up ratio.
So....anyone have any ideas?

Advertisement

Sempergumbywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
alybeth
Registered Users

Re: Eczema on 3 year old- Help

Have you ever tried the Disney Baby Eczema Cream? When my DS has flare ups this helps better than a steroid cream, and if used after baths keeps him from flare ups. http://www.target.com/Gentle-Natural.../dp/B000G62ESY
alybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
photocowgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Aw, hugs mama! My dd had eczema a little as a 2 year old on her cheeks, but now I hardly notice now even in the winter. Weird thing is I never had eczema until after I was prego with her... I use Eucerin and love it... but mine's not really that bad... Sorry I'm no help... I hope your dd gets some relief - poor baby!
photocowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
Sempergumbywife
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks Ladies- Should mention dd#1 had a little very little as baby went away after few months and dd#3 has none. Also have tried california baby and did nothing to help. Will give disney stuff a try and Eucerin is the heavy cream we use- has worked the best out of all the lotions/creams we have tried. Thanks
Sempergumbywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Do an elimination diet. And she's not too young for allergy tests -- I had one at that age and I'm 30, so it's not new. However, you could cut out the common food allergens/sensitivities and see if that makes a difference. In our house, eczema is tied to dairy.

Also, coconut oil works well and so does calendula.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
themaelane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm really tired, but remind me to add more tomorrow. Your LO isn't too young for testing. My DD is just getting over her ezcema now. There is hope.
ISO: NB covers/fitteds, flats, wool, 'big sister' stuff for a 4YO girl.
themaelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #7
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

I think it's the humidity and hot weather. My two boys are doing the same thing you do: the steroid creams, the baths, the medicine, the Zyrtec, etc. They've both recently flarred up horribly!!! There are 2 other kids at daycare that they go to that have the same thing. We don't go swimming, we don't do sunscreen (because we're not outside ) we haven't changed our diet either. So my thinking is the weather. They both flare up bad in the winter too. Eucerin is our friend!

Last edited by Crew&West; 07-19-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Crew&West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:02 PM   #8
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Is your daughter drinking dairy? We finally figured out that all of DD's issues with her eczema were due to dairy. It took taking her off the dairy when she returned from Korea to really see it. I was drinking almond milk at the time she came home because the baby was showing sensitivity to dairy and all of the eczema DD had, went away and she hasn't had it since. In fact, she hasn't had any skin dryness at all and it was a fight for the longest time to find soap that she didn't react to. Her eczema was the worst while she was in Korea because of the milk. Oh, and this was even when she was drinking raw milk when we were still in the US. She had had issues with eczema her whole life. So that's something to think about. I didn't think it was food related either but a soap allergy because my dad was very sensitive to soap (in fact, he rarely bathed because of it). But seeing what I saw with her changing to almond milk, I'm pretty sure that was the culprit. DH has issues with milk too, it bothers his sinuses so he also drinks the almond milk.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:39 AM   #9
mgl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Dairy is the main issue here as well. Dd2 still has small breakouts now and then, but we also aren't as strict on her diet as we should be. She gets no obvious dairy, and I try to limit hidden dairy, but we still go out to eat on occasion, and I let her eat stuff at family get togethers. We also use coconut oil and aquaphor as our main lotions.