Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-31-2011, 07:00 AM   #1
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

Talk to me about Induction

My Dr and I both thought that based on the progress I have made that baby would come on her own before 39 weeks but I have 3 days left and no baby. . Granted lots of pre labor and I'm 4/5ish cm and 75% effaced so it could happen yet.
But I have signs of pre -e and have struggled to keep my blood pressure down the last 2 weeks so therefore my Dr wont let me go past 39 weeks. .(tuesday). I have a induction scheduled for tuesday. Anyways, DD was a homebirth with a midwife and totally natural so this whole induction thing is a whole new thing for me. Of course my ultimate goal is I go into labor over the weekend on my own yet but if not I'm at peace with the induction.

My questions would be whats should I expect? My Dr said she could break my water but Im GBS positive so I didnt want her to break it this week yet since I wasnt progressed quite as much as I would like to be. But Im seriously thinking of asking her to start my induction tuesday by breaking my water. I know it would be harder labor but it has to be easier then the Pitocin. . . . THen if labor doesnt jump start with that, she can start pitiocin correct?
With Pitocin I have to be hooked up to monitors and catheter and everything the whole time right? Im trying to go as natural as possible and Im afraid with being stuck to the hospital bed I will cave to epidural.
With being induced your body doesnt do its natural "clean out" pooping at the beginning of labor so do you do a clean out or something the night before?? What do you use- enema, laxative?? My Induction starts at 7:15am can I eat before I go in?

Im sure that since Im 75% effaced and 4/5ish cm (well that was thursday evening when I went into the hospital with contractions and high blood pressure. . I might have progressed more since then) but I assume since Im pretty far progressed with starting a induction that it would be a fast induction????

Advertisement

mrscompgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pit requires the IV to get it into your body but you don't necessarily have to be tied to the bed or have a catheter.

I had pit after my labor started but have never heard of an enema needing to be done prior to an induction (maybe decades ago).
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Talk to me about Induction

I would ask your provider what their policy is for each thing as it may differ. For me when I had Pit it was through an IV in my hand. I didn't have to stay in bed and could labor as I pleased. My OB really really wanted to break my water but the policy for them was if it was broken I had to stay in bed, and I know that I cannot labor that way. ( Water was broken with my first when I was 8cm and my labor stalled so I personally wouldn't go with that route to start an induction)

Honestly pitocin isn't bad. It starts slow and I would communicate to your Dr that once contractions have been consistent you want it turned off. As long as your water is intact you are not under the clock to deliver.

I didn't do anything to clean out before, I totally pooped while pushing. That was a big sign for me that baby way getting ready to crown.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacasey1981 View Post
Pit requires the IV to get it into your body but you don't necessarily have to be tied to the bed or have a catheter.

I had pit after my labor started but have never heard of an enema needing to be done prior to an induction (maybe decades ago).
I know enemas arent needed but I was just asking if anyone does one or something to clean you out before starting induction. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkaK View Post
I would ask your provider what their policy is for each thing as it may differ. For me when I had Pit it was through an IV in my hand. I didn't have to stay in bed and could labor as I pleased. My OB really really wanted to break my water but the policy for them was if it was broken I had to stay in bed, and I know that I cannot labor that way. ( Water was broken with my first when I was 8cm and my labor stalled so I personally wouldn't go with that route to start an induction)

Honestly pitocin isn't bad. It starts slow and I would communicate to your Dr that once contractions have been consistent you want it turned off. As long as your water is intact you are not under the clock to deliver.

I didn't do anything to clean out before, I totally pooped while pushing. That was a big sign for me that baby way getting ready to crown.
Hm, my Hospital said if i do pit they want to monitor me and baby the whole time so I have to be in bed the whole time??? That would require a catheter I assumed?
Old 12-31-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
crunch!910
Registered Users

If you are GBS positive, do not allow them to break your waters at the beginning of induction. It sets you on a time limit and puts your baby more at risk. Wait until waters rupture naturally or until you are progressed and much further into labor so that your water will be broken for the least amount of time possible.

If you are on pitocin, you will need IV in your hand, as that is how the drug is administered. They will likely require constant monitoring(belly belts) to keep an eye on baby. Pitocin produces stronger contractions than natural ones and is more likely to put a baby into distress. However, that doesn't mean they should force you in bed and not to move. They did with me through my pit induction, but I should have gotten up and labored the way *I* needed to no matter what they said. Even when I had to have a bowel movement, the nurse didn't want me to get up. I did as soon as she left anyway, but got scolded. I HATED that nurse. In fact, I like to joke and say I should have crapped all over the bed, smeared it and told HER to come clean it up, considering she thought I shouldn't go to the bathroom. They made me labor straight on my back in extreme pain, when sitting and walking helped so much with the pain.

there's no reason you should be made to stay on a bed. You should be allowed to labor as you please with monitoring, use the restroom as you wish. 5 minutes of peeing on the toilet will not hurt anyone.

Last edited by crunch!910; 12-31-2011 at 11:01 AM.
crunch!910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch!910 View Post
If you are GBS positive, do not allow them to break your waters at the beginning of dilation. It sets you on a time limit and puts your baby more at risk. Wait until waters rupture naturally or until you are progressed and much further into labor so that your water will be broken for the least amount of time possible.

If you are on pitocin, you will need IV in your hand, as that is how the drug is administered. They will likely require constant monitoring(belly belts) to keep an eye on baby. Pitocin produces stronger contractions than natural ones and is more likely to put a baby into distress. However, that doesn't mean they should force you in bed and not to move. They did with me through my pit induction, but I should have gotten up and labored the way *I* needed to no matter what they said. Even when I had to have a bowel movement, the nurse didn't want me to get up. I did as soon as she left anyway, but got scolded. I HATED that nurse. In fact, I like to joke and say I should have crapped all over the bed, smeared it and told HER to come clean it up, considering she thought I shouldn't go to the bathroom. They made me labor straight on my back in extreme pain, when sitting and walking helped so much with the pain.

there's no reason you should be made to stay on a bed. You should be allowed to labor as you please with monitoring, use the restroom as you wish. 5 minutes of peeing on the toilet will not hurt anyone.
I know my clock will start ticking when the water is broken since Im GBS+ but I thought maybe it would be less invasive then Pit right away. Besides my labor with DD was 6 hours start to finish and since I'm already 4/5ish cm and 75% effaced I dont think it will take long at all once it was broken. . But yes that is the one thing holding me back right now from breaking the water is that if for some reason it wouldnt progress me anymore that they would be watching me really close.

My Dr is super awesome and has already said I can do pretty much what I want in labor, she knows I had a homebirth with DD so she is aware I am very much for a natural birth. I dont think she would have a problem with me walking in labor/going to the bathroom. . . My problem would be the nurses. I went in thursday evening to the Hospital with strong contractions and since I have signs of pre-e my blood pressure went up and so we went in. Well when we got there my contractions stopped. . But the nurse still insisted she keep me hooked up to the monitor the whole time i was there. . So yeah, I think the nurses are going to be hard to convince. . My Dr wont be the issue.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

I was induced 15 hours after my water broke and was allowed to walk around, use a ball, ect... I should also note that I was on a heart monitor (one for baby and one for me) because of a prex - I would really double check their reasoning before not letting you walk around...
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #8
crunch!910
Registered Users

If your doctor is ok with it, just get it in words, and any time a nurse tries to bother you, shove that paper in her face. Also remember, YOU are in control. If a certain nurse is being disrespectful of your DOCTOR's orders, you can always politely ask that she be removed from your care and to get another nurse.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:26 AM   #9
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch!910 View Post
If your doctor is ok with it, just get it in words, and any time a nurse tries to bother you, shove that paper in her face. Also remember, YOU are in control. If a certain nurse is being disrespectful of your DOCTOR's orders, you can always politely ask that she be removed from your care and to get another nurse.
I do have a signed copy of the birth plan that my Dr signed. . . BUT I didnt not have on it anything about induction. So I dont know if the nurses will use that as a excuse or not. BUT the plan does say that I want intermittent monitoring NOT constant, want to use the bathroom and walk, use the shower for pain relief. . .etc. . and my Dr signed it. So THat should help me some.

Thanks so much ladies for the info. I am totally lost with the induction stuff.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My only actual induction was absolutely horrible, so I won't offer any advice on that, but I do want to say using a birth ball really did help open things up and get labor rolling. Try sitting on one as much as possible this weekend and roll in little circles (check spinningbabies.com). Hopefully you can go into labor on your own before Tuesday.

Using my DS app, please excuse the lack of proofreading.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote