Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #21
hippiemama86
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: Water birth- Why you did/Why you won't

Oh my gosh, I LOVED the water! I'd never birth without it. I use a LaBassine inflatable birthing pool. I do wish the water would have been higher, but I will arrange for that next time, before my contractions get so bad. I did get out of the water once to go pee after I'd gotten in the pool... after that you couldn't get me out! On of my midwives actually wanted me to get out and labor on the toilet for a bit. I stood up, and sat right back down. It was light the weight of gravity added to the contractions was to much. I didn't feel out of control at all.
I actually have a post in my blog about my birth experience, with lots of pics too... if you're interested in reading it.
http://alifeofpeaceloveanddiapers.bl...s-of-pics.html

Advertisement

Proud mama to 1 ds (11-9-09) Married to my best friend ever!
hippiemama86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #22
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My hospital has huge jetted tubs and I loved laboring in it, but it got too hot in there and I got sick. I won't birth in a tub, though, because I have issues with yucky water, so once baby is here and there is blood, etc, in the tub, I would freak and have to get out right.this.second. I am sure actually pushing would be fine and dandy, it's the after that I cannot handle. I can't even handle stepping in puddles for fear of dirty water touching me.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #23
IslaRose
Registered Users

I planned a waterbirth in my garden tub. When it came down to it, I just couldn't get comfortable in there. The water provided some pain relief, but my labor went quickly and the ultimate pain control/relief was getting that baby out of me! lol

So I told my midwife that it just wasn't working, and she and my husband helped me out. I delivered on my hands and knees on my bed. Looking back, I wonder if the water would have made the pushing stage less painful. I alternated from hands and knees to standing/leaning on my husband, and both were VERY effective pushing positions, but also very painful!
IslaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #24
IslaRose
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl08 View Post
My hospital has huge jetted tubs and I loved laboring in it, but it got too hot in there and I got sick. I won't birth in a tub, though, because I have issues with yucky water, so once baby is here and there is blood, etc, in the tub, I would freak and have to get out right.this.second. I am sure actually pushing would be fine and dandy, it's the after that I cannot handle. I can't even handle stepping in puddles for fear of dirty water touching me.
I got hot/sick in the water too! I only labored in the tub for maybe 20 minutes or so, but it just wasn't comfortable for me. The hot water offered minimal pain relief compared to the other discomforts I encountered in the water.
IslaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #25
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:

My first was a hospital birth and I labored in the water, but they had me get out when I was checked and found to be 9.5 cm. Everything went downhill with that birth after that. The short version is she wasn't born for another 6 hours, a swollen cervix, an epidural, and labial tearing. Grrrr....

My second was a home waterbirth. It was amazing. I labored in the water on and off and then delivered in the water. My DD had some positioning problems so my midwife helped her get lined up better with me on a crazy looking birthing chair and then she and my DH plopped me in the water to push. I liked that I didn't have a lot of pushing leverage. I really let my body do what it wanted while I gently pushed. She came out really easily with not even the slightest of tears.

If you want to read the full stories, they are here and here.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #26
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I labored in the water with DD1 but delivered on dry land--hospital didn't allow birthing in the tub, and I got to the point where I felt like I needed my feet under me. Totally wasn't even considering waterbirth with DD2--figured I'd be in the tub and then get out when it came time to push. I wanted to use the hammock in the ceiling to get me in a squat for pushing. In the end, I got in the tub when we got to the BC at 5cm, it felt so good that I didn't want to get out again, I spent the entire time on my knees leaning against the side and resting my head between contractions, and after going from 5 to complete in an hour, decided that getting out of the tub was too much work, and pushed her out in a full squat pulled up on the side of the tub. I literally didn't even have any "road rash" and ended up being able to ditch the peri bottle the next day. If I ever do this again, I'm staying IN the water--SUCH a great experience!
Old 07-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #27
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had a great water birth and DH even got to catch DS2. I don't think I would do it any other way. We only got to the birth center 20 minutes before he was born. So I was just in the tub for pushing. It felt great. I was on all fours.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #28
crazylife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Laboured and birthed in our bathtub. Loved the water and would birth in water again but I was sooo kicking myself for not renting an actual birthing tub! Our tub is/was so small and i couldn't move around/stretch out, plus our bathroom is small so it wasn't enjoyable in that aspect (doula and my mom stood in the doorway so the two midwives could squish into the bathroom)
crazylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #29
YiddleDoppers
Registered Users
Formerly: mama2lumpynoodles
seller

I labour "on dry land" and go about my day and when I get to the point that I feel I need pain relief or I will go crazy, I get into the tub ... for me, THE WATER IS THE BEST PAIN RELIEF I've ever experienced. I wouldn't even consider labour without a tub. Just my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspnut82 View Post
Ya I've heard of women having an "oopsie" in the tubs. I'd totally do it but then I'd be afraid that they wouldn't know what the heck to do and the baby would suffer because of it somehow.
Many hospitals cannot advertise that they do waterbirth, for a whole slew legal reasons. Either their insurance carrier won't cover the added liability, or the added cost of being "water-birth approved" and the required paperwork, inspections, increased staff, etc ... is too great. The nurses/doctors/midwives know what to do (we were taught in college/med school), they just cannot legally say "we do waterbirths". But if it happens it's no big deal and everyone knows what to do. Often you'll just have to say, "I'd rather stay in the tub" or simply shake your head when they ask if you'd like to get out. The fact that it's your decision to stay in the tub releases the hospital from a certain amount of liability (in the eyes of their insurance carrier/ legislative bodies)... I hope I explained that without going overboard
* It can't hurt to educate yourself so you or your partner have a plan in case the staff fall apart ... but it's pretty unlikely.

ETA: stating that you plan to birth in the tub BEFORE actually getting in puts the hospital/staff at an increased liability and may actually cause you to not be allowed into the tub. If your intent is to birth in the water, it's best not to mention it until you've progessed quite far or are asked if you'd like to get out.
"Mandie" wife to one awesome dude and Mama to a brood of active boys. Also the heart and hands behind Yiddle Doppers™ on HC and Y.Woman™ on Etsy. Looking for OOAK, rare and HTF items? Stalk us on Stalkerazzi Congo

Last edited by YiddleDoppers; 07-14-2011 at 08:07 PM.
YiddleDoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #30
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes it's a birthing center with midwives so you'd think they'd have experience or at least have done some research jik.
mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote