Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #1
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
BC while BFing - Mini-Pill or Mirena?

I was basically told yesterday I have two options for birth control after #3 is born, since I will be nursing... the Mini-Pill or the Mirena. I've already spent a good amount of time researching the two options, and I'm completely torn. The Mini-Pill sounds more appealing to me, because the Mirena comes with some horror stories!

Which (if any) did you choose, and why? Why did you like it/not like it? Did it affect your milk supply at all?

ETA - we normally use NFP, but I'm a bit paranoid about an unplanned pregnancy. We can't afford baby #4 until 2012 (we plan our finances painstakingly, LOL!).

Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Re: BC while BFing - Mini-Pill or Mirena?

We just use NFP and condoms as back-up. I like using hormone bc and while some will say they are BF compatible, I've heard of people having trouble with every hormonal type out there. Sorry I'm not more help!

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
4littlevikings
Registered Users

I have taken the mini pill after each of my 4 LO's. I never had any suppy issues. Amazingly enough I can remember to take that one. Once I go back on regular pill I have trouble.

I wish there was a nuvaring verson of the mini pill.
4littlevikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
Sempergumbywife
Registered Users

My Mood:

I tried the mini pill, or pop pill (Progestin-only-pill), after my second baby and found that they messed with my mood. I found myself getting angry, emotionally very angry even though I was able to see there was no need or reason to be angry I still would be. Took me about a week to realize it was the pop pill. About 30-45 minutes after I took the pill each morning I would feel the switch, it was into the evening each day before I would feel calmer. I never found that as a listed side affect just one for me. Needless to say I stopped taking that shortly after. This time I have waited to start any pills (baby#3 is 2 months old) I am BF and was told (will have to wait and see if true for me) that going back on my normal low dose hormone pill will not affect my BF because I already have established milk. Good luck with #3. It has been fun so far. Feel like I have a way better handle on it this time. Overall way more fun and way less overwhelming!
Sempergumbywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
sanddimarie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was put on the mini pill. I'm not totally sure what happened but... I broke out under my chin/neck area really bad. HUGE pimples. And Sylas screamed almost day and night. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the pill, but when I stopped, I ended up clearing up and Sylas calmed down. So yeah, I'm avoiding those.

Sanddi
Single mommy to my Sylasarus

sanddimarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas! I wish I felt comfortable enough to continue with NFP after this baby is born... I'm just terrified we'll get pregnant sooner than we could actually afford it, LOL. I'm leaning more towards the pill, though. I keep getting freaked out, imagining an IUD in me, KWIM?

On a side note, does anyone know how much the mini-pill is? We don't have insurance, and we're paying for everything OOP. I know the Mirena is around $1000, but it lasts five years.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I had Mirena after each of my last two. Cost was $500 and my insurance covered it completely. After my first, I had no side effects and loved it. After my second, it tanked my milk supply and made me realy anxious and moody. I think with anything hormonal, I think how your body processes things affects your side effects. Even for me, it wasn't the same twice.

That said, we are going to use NFP and condoms this time around. We can't afford #4 now either, and all three of our kids were...well...surprises. We just figure if it's going to happen, we can't totally stop it so we want to avoid side effects as much as possible.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
ambieone
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was on the mini pill after both of my lo's and I didn't have any supply issues either time, I actually produced enough to be able to pump and freeze. I had a huge milk stash in the freezer. I BF'd both kids until 1yr. I too am afraid to get an IUD. I stayed on the mini pill for a year and then switched over to the regular pill after that.
ambieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have the Mirena and have no problems. I have a number of friends that have it and love it also. I think the horror stories are rare but of course you don't want to be a rare one! This is my 2nd iud and it hasnt messed with my supply either time. I occasionally got some headaches before starting af last time. I got pg quickly after having the last one removed. I'm talking less than 6 weeks from removal to bfp! Insurance covered it completely and I would recommend it.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #10
A&M'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had a Mirena after dd1 and I started getting ovarian cysts. I had it removed after 9 months. I would get them while ovulating which my dr thought was normal? But they hurt like hell and I just figured this wasn't for my body. I don't know what I'll do this time! Maybe mini pill but I'm worried it won't be enough protection? My midwife mentioned that if my baby is sleeping through the night and not nursing every 2 hours then I could get pregnant on it?
A&M'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote