Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-15-2011, 08:12 AM   #11
twinmomma07
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: BC while BFing - Mini-Pill or Mirena?

I had no problems using the mini pill while nursing my twins--it didn't impact milk supply at all. I ebfed and made more than enough for both babies. I wasn't moody either and the pill usually has this effect on me (okay maybe I was a tad hormonal, but my boys didn't sttn until they were around ten months old, lol). I also was never told that the mini-pill becomes less reliable after your lo starts sttn or begins eating solids. I guess nursing two babies helped me not to ovulate and get pregnant again because I relied on the mini-pill for 18 months.

I did switch to the Nuva Ring after I finished nursing and it worked beautifully for over 3 years and then I discovered I was pregnant. Dh and I were shocked because Nuva Ring pregnancies are said to be quite rare

Advertisement

Old 07-15-2011, 08:30 AM   #12
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

I used mirena after ds3 for 4.5 years and thought i didn't have any side effects. I didn't bf him, but I did realize that I was a bit hormonal with it. dd is 9 months and we don't "plan" on anymore but I don't think I'd get it again. I couldn't remember to take a pill to save my life so we are just using condoms. Not the most ideal, but since AF came back we have to use precautions now. I say, if you can remember the pill, do that. Good luck in your decision!
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I, very recently, was juggling this same decision. I found that, no matter what type of birth control you are considering.. from NFP to BCP, to the IUD, someone, somewhere, is ALWAYS going to have a horror story to unleash on you

I finally went in last week to get on some form of BC (18 months later ) and my doctor and I both discussed the options and decided together that the mini pill is the best option, for me, at the moment. I start this Sunday.

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #14
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Since you asked for experiences... I went from having an oversupply to having no supply when I started the minipill at 8 weeks PP. Stopped and had my supply back within a week. SO SO scary, especially since DD had weight gain issues and I was already stressing about making sure she was eating well enough.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:27 AM   #15
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm terrified of the supply issues I keep hearing about with the Mirena and the Mini-Pill. I had an oversupply with DS1 and DS2 (even with EPing), so I'm wondering how my supply will be this time, too. I have a feeling my mind won't be made up by my 6-week PP visit.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #16
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had the Mirena inserted just after 6 weeks, but my body expelled it about 8 weeks later. Boo. I started the mini pill instead, just about a week ago. I am terrible about remembering to take it, even with an alarm set on my phone.

I am tandem nursing, plus I pump to donate. I have no supply problems.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #17
GreenDahlia
Registered
seller
seller

My Mood:

What about the Paraguard? It's a copper IUD and I believe it lasts up to 10 years. I can't do anything hormonal so that's the reason I chose it. I had absolutely zero side effects.
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
~Mae West
GreenDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #18
mommajenn13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I've had the mirena twice and never had any problems. My supply is just fine and I still have a ton of milk at 14 months PP. My friend had it though and she thinks it caused her not to be able to lose any weight after she had her DD.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:04 PM   #19
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My OB said that if you have a good supply at 6 months then you can start a hormonal pill - like Ortho TriCycling Low. I do not agree with how the Mini Pill protects against conception so I am hoping BF will get us to 6 months and will try a hormonal pill. If you have a good record with hormonal pills you could try that option - they are cheap too!
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:37 PM   #20
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have Mirena, and the first 6 wees I had spotting, but it wasn't too bad and wasn't annoying enough to have it removed. I have had it for 2 months now, and I really like it! I am not responsible enough for mini pill. Our schedule is really varied, so I would miss too much.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote