Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
Stefibeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Cradle cap at 16mo?

DS had cradle cap as a baby. It was pretty bad in that it pretty much covered his entire scalp. It never seemed to bother him and our pedi just advised us to ignore it and it would go away, so we did. Fast-forward to now, DS is 16mo and still has some cradle cap on his head. It's not all over like it used to be, but he still has a small patch on the top of his head towards his forehead.

What causes this? And what can we do to get rid of it? Or is it even worth worrying about getting rid of? Like I said, it doesn't seem to bother him, but he had blonde hair that isn't very thick yet so people can see it. If there is an easy fix to get it off of there, I'd like to. If it's involved or requires something harsh I'm planning to not worry about it.

Any advice or experience with this?

Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Cradle cap at 16mo?

DD had cradle cap past her first birthday. I asked my pediatrician about it and she said that you can do the olive oil thing, or use dandruff shampoo, although for some kids it will just come back. But she mostly suggested to just leave it be. She said her daughter had it until she was 4 and eventually it just went away on its own.

ETA: With her other kids, their cradle cap went away much earlier. Every kid is a little different.

Last edited by Janine; 07-14-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
blane,j,&morgansmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I actually bought the special shampoo for cradle cap. My 2 yo had it a few months ago to the point he was losing hair! That stuff is pricey for the size, but it works really well.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
travelmama24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our DD had cradle cap well into being 2 yrs old. The pedi said let it be or that we could use baby oil before a bath. We opted to get this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

and it worked really well! We'd massage DD's scalp with the sponge side & then the brush side.
travelmama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
chello
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD1 had cradle cap on the top of her head until just recently, and she's almost 4. She still has a little patch behind each earlobe, which is annoying because if her hair is up you can see it and it looks like she's dirty :P but what's on her scalp went away. DS still has some on his scalp and he's 2. I've done the olive oil thing, and it helped, but they hate getting their hair washed so I'm glad it just went away.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

my DS still gets some cradle cap i rub it with coconut oil let it sit a hour or two than comb or brush out the loose flakes and than wash with baby shampoo
Old 07-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Both of my boys still have it, they are 10 and 5.5. It must run in our family because my uncle had it well into his teens. My grandmother said that his doctor told him that it came from having such thick hair? Anyway he got a perm as a teen to try to cure it. I do not recommend that. LOL The only thing I have found that works 100% is shaving Tharen's head. When his head is shaved super short the cradle cap goes away. When the hair starts to grow back the cradle cap comes back. I've heard that the more natural shampoos will work but I haven't tried any. I also haven't tried dandruff shampoos because I am allergic to several so I am afraid to try them on either of the boys, especially Tharen who is highly sensitive to soaps and lotions. If Kearnan scrubs his scalp really well when washing his hair it keeps the cradle cap down anyway.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:34 PM   #8
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:

I just noticed the other day that my 5yo has some on his scalp still. Wierd.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #9
Stefibeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, good to know it's not out of the ordinary anyway!

What does the olive/coconut/baby oil do? If I wanted to try something like that, what would I do exactly?

I'd be willing to try something like that to see if it comes back. If it does, I won't worry about it, but maybe it's worth getting it off just to see what happens.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #10
nalazimbala
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefibeth View Post
Well, good to know it's not out of the ordinary anyway!

What does the olive/coconut/baby oil do? If I wanted to try something like that, what would I do exactly?

I'd be willing to try something like that to see if it comes back. If it does, I won't worry about it, but maybe it's worth getting it off just to see what happens.
the oils just loosen up the scales so that they are easier to get off the scalp. I've used it and then a comb or my fingernails to get it all off. If I can get most of it off, it will stay gone a while, but it always seems to come back. Both DS(20m) and to a lesser extent DD(4yo), both still have it.