Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
yomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
A Louse in the House :(

It seems we have picked up head lice -uuuuurrrrrrghhhh! My kids have been itchy but we thought it was due to us having a different type of chemical in our hot tub, as the onset of their itchiness seemed to coincide with the time we started using bromide.
Today I went through my ds's hair and finally saw something crawling...poor fella! Now I doubt he is alone in this and we are all due for some major delousing...

Any of you have gone through this? What do I need to do?

I was thinking of buying some sort of treatment, a lice comb, sanitize all our pillows, maybe sheets, sanitize all hair brushes etc. Any advice on this? Anything I am forgetting?

Ohhhh, I am so not happy...

Advertisement

yomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Re: A Louse in the House :(

You are on the right track for sure. But be forewarned....those suckers are hearty and dont give up easily.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
loving my family
Registered Users

BUY some louse spray for your carpet in your house too & I would wash-bleach sheets daily along with all pillows for a week plus don't forget your couches for spraying.
& your cars seat's adults too in all cars that you have been in. Good luck!!
loving my family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We bought the full Rid kit when my oldest picked it up from my nephew who got it at school. Everyone else in the house had hair to short to get it but just to be safe we treated the youngest and dh and I as well. Then dh and I shaved our heads again and the youngest too. We stripped the beds down the the mattresses, washed everything that could be washed (sheets, pillows and blankets) anything that couldn't be washed went into bags for two weeks (stuffed animals except for a few special ones that were washed). I sprayed each room carpets and mattresses with the spray stuff included and I bought a new mattress cover for our bed (the old one needed replaced anyway). I even washed the dog beds to be safe because my kids like to cuddle the dogs in them. Dogs cannot get lice. It took 3 full treatments to rid Kearnan of lice and I got really good at seeing lice and nits in his super long hair. I told him if the third treatment didn't take he was getting a shave because it was just too much to keep re-sterilizing the house each week. The rest of us never showed signs but with Tharen and I each having an Oi and dh wearing his hair super short and conservative it isn't surprising. I did get Kearnan to grudgingly agree to a short mohawk if the lice ever come back. My brother said if his son ever shows up with lice again he will buzz him to the skin because his ex didn't do a good job of treating it at her house so it took forever to get rid of it.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
Dsunny1
Registered Users

There is an awesome pesticide free spray at the pharmacy (we got ours at Walmart and rite aide) called Lice Free. It basically dehydrates the nits and kills them that way, you can use it over and over without it harming your child. We have lice 2 seperate times last year and this worked wonderfully. Spray it on dry hair at night, let your hair completly dry. We would keep it on overnight and then wash it out in the morning. I keep some in the house now, to have on hand if needed. Lice do not die when you wash your sheets/clothing (water and soap do not kill them), they die when they are in high heat, so putting everything you want to "sterlize" in the dryer does the trick. I just kept the dryer going repeatedly when we were dealing with it to kill anything that might be on our sheets/blankets. Vacume things you can't put in dryer such as your couch, vehicle seats and carpet. Comb the hair everyday with a nit comb. We found it helpful to put conditioner lightly in the hair during a shower and comb through then. I combed everyday for at least a week.
My kids had it last summer, and gave it to me. I had just given birth to our last child, my husband was deployed and I was a wreck. The first few days until I could figure out what worked and what didn't were horrible. Once I found that spray and used it, it was like majic. Good luck and post again if you have additional questions.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
pepsichic9115
Registered Users

My Mood:
U have been there so many times. I hate those silly little pests!!

Don't bother with the spray. They aren't effective. Just vacuum everything. Wash all bedding and vacuum the mattresses. Vacuum your couch, chairs, etc and of course carpet. Bag up anything that can't be washed/vacuumed. And comb hair with a good metal lice comb everyday for a week. That should take care of it!!!
Old 07-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
Winter
Registered Users
seller

I dealt with my niece last week and she had a head FULL of it. It took me 3 hours to get all of the nits & bugs out. If you haven't treated your affected family members yet, our pharmacist suggested a 20 minute pre-soak in vinegar because it loosens the "glue" that fastens the eggs to the hair shafts. It makes removal a bit easier. Then, remove everything and THEN do the lice treatment. Follow up with a second treatment in a week.

When my DD had it years ago, I put heavy mineral oil in her hair and then kept it up in french ponytails so it didn't look too greasy, just wet. The mineral oil keeps the bugs from getting comfortable enough to reinfest. It washes out after about 5 washes.
HTH!

Last edited by Winter; 07-12-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
ChelseaGirl7
Registered Users

Yeah, my biggest advice is to make sure you buy a METAL lice comb, the plastic ones that come in the kits are crap. And it does help to comb the hair when it is wet.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
pepsichic9115
Registered Users

My Mood:
I not u. Ugh. I really do love my phone. Really I do
Old 07-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #10
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD had it last year, like an advanced stage, how-did-I-not-notice before stage.

We bought one of those kits (not Rid, but something like it). I tend to prefer less toxic things, but I was NOT going to mess around with natural methods until I found one that worked. I wanted those suckers GONE.

The kit came with a shampoo and a crappy comb. The shampoo kills the actual lice, but not the eggs, so you have to comb through and pull off eggs. I could not find a metal lice comb, so I used a regular comb and my fingers.

We used regular shampoo and scrubbed like MAD to wash out some of the bigger lice. We did this a couple of times, then did an application with the lice shampoo, which has to sit on their heads for a certain amount of time.

Then we went through and picked out eggs. Lots of them. And then the next day we (excuse me, I - hubby wasn't helpful at all during this ordeal) went through and picked out more eggs and teeny, tiny little lice that had hatched. Less this time. And so on and so on for a whole week, less every time.

At first I did it in the living room, but found that both of us sitting in the bathtub worked a lot better. TMI alert, but I did a full shave in the nether regions to prevent them from moving in on me. I loaded her hair with conditioner and re-wet or added more conditioner as needed.

After a week, I did a second application of the lice shampoo to take care of anything that might have hatched, and I think just 2 more comb throughs after that.

It was HELL. Sorry, but it was. Trying to get a 2 year old with long-ish hair to sit still for a 45+ minute comb-through was HELL. Sometimes we'd be able to distract her with books or flashcards with fun pictures or just talking....but it was HELL. She'd cry or try to pull away and I'd have to hold tight to the section of hair I was working through because I didn't want to start over. And of course it had to happen to a child who hates having her hair washed or combed in the first place. Did I mention it was hell?

Besides that, we did a full furniture and carpet vacuum top to bottom when we first found the lice and then again a week later. Perhaps we should have done more, I don't know. We vacuumed car seats, too. All stuffed animals got bagged up for a month (I think 2 weeks is sufficient, but I forgot about them) and bedding got washed and dried on HOT every day for 9-ish days.

Miraculously, I never got them despite the fact that she regularly slept with us. We made her sleep in her own bed while she had "bugs in her hair," and she was okay with that.

I learned a lot about lice that week (ish). Yeah, they are bugs but they aren't as gross as I imagined them to be. I certainly stopped having the "ewwww" reaction when others told about their encounters with it. lol