View Poll Results: Would you still take you child to playdate when sick?
Yes 0 0%
No 138 87.90%
Depends (please post) 19 12.10%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2007, 03:43 PM   #41
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: If your child was sick would you take them out to playdate??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Peas14mnsapart View Post
See that's what I thought.

I would also NEVER bring the kids out when they are even remotely sick.

But Public Health called today and apparently theres been a whooping cough outbreak in our neighborhood because of some parents who brought their son to the community center when he had it.

Now my DD has it too and I think Ephie is getting it.

I wondered where she could have picked it up from.

Why would people do that it's so irresponsible.

but did the parents know he had WC. Alot of dr's will not say it is WC because then people would start to think the vax is ineffective.

I had WC as a child & I was sent to school. I got it every couple of years after that.

If a child has WC the residual cough can last months.

If my kids have the flu I won't take them out, but anything else I do. Being exposed to germs can help kids build immunity without getting sick. We haven't had a flu here in over 4.5years and nothing worth going to the dr for antibiotics since at least 2004.

Advertisement

Old 04-03-2007, 03:47 PM   #42
jenmcfar
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope, no way. I hate it when other mamas do that. It's selfish.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:18 PM   #43
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No, I woulnd't. I wouldn't send them to school either. ITs very frustrating as a teacher - we'd have to actually send home letters and have meetings to tell parents that they need to keep their sick kids home. I'm amazed at how many kids come to school w/ fevers, obviously sick- but the parents dont' want to use thier own personal days if they're not sick themselves. Tough doody!
If my child wasn't contagious and otherwise wanting to play I might - but I'd let others know. Id hate to drag a non-contagious kid there if they're just not feeling up to it.

Last edited by Kelolsen-and-Padawan; 04-03-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Kelolsen-and-Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:20 PM   #44
christinewith4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well...there was a kid at church who VERY obviously had BAD Croup wed night..and by Friday by boys had it...

very frustrating..especially when my 6yr old always has the "backwards type croup" I forget the name, but its croup- where instead of having issues with breathing out(ie: coughing, etc), he has issues breathing IN...so every time he breathes out, he GASPS for air just to get in a breath- he doesn't have asthma or anything either...

Last time he got it, we had to call 911 and he was rushed to the ER by ambulance b/c he STOPPED breathing. I woke up hearing him gasping and by the time I got in there he couldn't breath- kind of like a severe asthma attack... what was weird and he hadn't even been sick to that point! No coughing or anything all day...It STARTED like that...talk about being freaked out...thank God for "Mommy senses"...
christinewith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:26 PM   #45
MCKH
Registered Users

Absolutely not - it's the number ONE rule of playgroup - NO SICK KIDS! Even though I get bummed out having to stay home for a week every time my dd gets a cold, it is just incredibly rude to pass on the illness. I guess some people think colds are "no biggie," but it means I have to cancel everything until my dd's nose stops running, she sleeps poorly, is grumpy - it's a nightmare! When I see someone's kid with a junky nose, a cough - I grab my child and RUN.
MCKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:27 PM   #46
cyncyn
Registered Users

No way. BUT I have seen plenty of sick kids at playgrounds, community centers , swimming lessons, etc. so some people think it is ok.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:44 PM   #47
kealoha
Registered Users

No way, no how! The reason my kids usually get sick in the first place is because someone sent their sick child to school/playdate/whatever. I'm not about to continue the circle of germs.
kealoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:46 PM   #48
milehighmonkeys
Registered Users
Formerly: ultconsumer

No. They need rest to recover.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:30 PM   #49
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I chose that it depends. If Kearnan is at the tail end of one of his allergy runs then yes, cause if I didn't the poor kid would be stuck at home for 6 months out of the year. But not if he was contagious or if he was really really sick with allergies. I don't want to get anyone elses kiddos sick, and I don't want to take a miserable kiddo out, that's not nice for anyone. I have also been known to take Tharen to Kearnan's therapy appts when he was sick with allergies. Kearnan has to make those appts, they are important and so as long as Tharen isn't contagious I have to drag him along unless dh can get the time off to watch him.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:45 PM   #50
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proverbs169 View Post
Nope. I prefer to keep my friends, LOL.
LOL...No I wouldnt becaue I wouldnt want others to get it and I dont think it would be fun for my DS if he was sick and acting sick being whiny, cranky and crying and that wouldnt be fun for me either....It would be a lose lose situtaion to take him