Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-15-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
mummy2lolo
Registered Users
Formerly: cay***ali

I think LO has a plastic allergy

So I have been battling really bad rashes & hives on my LO for weeks now. I thought it was her introductions to solids, but now I am pretty sure she is reacting to the plastic spoon itself. I found that letting her feed herself solids by hand=no rash but soon as I give her a loaded spoon presto she breaks out in really bad hives. She has gone red too after playing with some cheapy plastic toys, but not as bad as this. Truthfully we don't have that many plastic toys, most of her toys are wood or soft cloth..so that is pretty avoidable there and maybe why I didn't find this out until now. I will have to tell the Grandmas though not to give her anymore plastic toys.

Anyone have any info on plastic allergies? Does it tend to be most plastics or are there certain types which are usually the culprit? Should I have her allergy tested? Is this common and do they grow out of it?

Are there any online resources to check out? Also any online stores which sell natural baby products for feeding & food storage? I'd love to make some purees for the nanny to have on hand in the freezer, but I can't think of what would be safe to freeze them in? I guess glass? We are doing BLW, I managed to find some wooded spoons and would like to find more wooden or bamboo items, such as cups. Also wooden and bamboo toys would be great too. I am just looking around at all our baby stuff right now and it's literally all plasticky...it's sort of daunting thinking it may all have to go.

Advertisement

mummy2lolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:13 AM   #2
amberdawn723
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I think LO has a plastic allergy

Hmmmm...never heard of a plastic allergy before, but I'm sure it's possible. Just be sure you do trial her foods again without the plasticware to be sure that it isn't the food that is causing the hives. One way to kinda test for a food allergy (if it's an ige allergy) is to put some of the baby food on her skin (in a non-typical place like her arm or leg) and let it sit for awhile (x number of minutes) and then wipe it away. Watch that area of her skin for any reactions within the next hour. If she ends up with a rash or hives especially in that area, then you'll know it's probably the food. If not, then maybe it is the plastic or something in the plastic.
Gwendolyn (due 7-6-15)
amberdawn723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:00 AM   #3
mummy2lolo
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberdawn723 View Post
Hmmmm...never heard of a plastic allergy before, but I'm sure it's possible. Just be sure you do trial her foods again without the plasticware to be sure that it isn't the food that is causing the hives. One way to kinda test for a food allergy (if it's an ige allergy) is to put some of the baby food on her skin (in a non-typical place like her arm or leg) and let it sit for awhile (x number of minutes) and then wipe it away. Watch that area of her skin for any reactions within the next hour. If she ends up with a rash or hives especially in that area, then you'll know it's probably the food. If not, then maybe it is the plastic or something in the plastic.
We have done a food sensitivity test and had no reaction, that is why I was so confused why she kept having reactions. I am pretty sure it's the spoon. I can't see why she wouldn't react to a solid when eating it with her hands and then react when it's pureed and given to her on a spoon.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:32 AM   #4
holl_ie
Registered Users
seller

This companies sells baby spoons,bowls,and toys all made from corn.I've never used them just saw them locally once.
http://www.dandelionforbaby.com/Page...n_Feeding.html

Good Luck! I hope you can find a lot more resources.

You should definitely call her doctor and get something documented just in case.The last thing you would want is her to need hospital care and have a really bad reaction during treatment.

Last edited by holl_ie; 07-16-2011 at 03:39 AM.
holl_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:59 AM   #5
LadyofReason
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I looked up "plastic allergy" and found a decent number of sites about it. It would be worth looking up. Two of them mentioned were acrylic allergy and epoxy (sp) allergy.
I didn't look any further or go into any of the links.
I have seen the dishes and flat ware made from corn at the local cloth diaper store and online. That would be a great alternative.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:02 AM   #6
mummy2lolo
Registered Users

thanks ladies!
Old 07-16-2011, 07:10 AM   #7
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

i have a few stainless steel baby spoons i know Gerber sells them you can get them engraved with babies name and birthday
Old 07-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
mummy2lolo
Registered Users

I'm not sure what to think now....I have been reading up a ton on allergies and I now think maybe LO has a latex-fruit allergy. She had a really bad reaction to a banana and now today reacted to pear. So maybe the spoon is not to blame as the latex-fruit allergen list is quite lengthy and basically all the first foods are on there. I am going to try offering foods not on the list and see how it goes. I will also see if I can get her on another bottle, we are using platex dropins with the natural latex nipple...I don't think she is reacting to it, but I am not sure. It's such a pain though as it is the only nipple & bottle she has accepted. I am hoping to find the silicone nipples for drop ins, but no one here carries the system.

I am going to speak with the doctor monday about allergies and see if we should get LO tested and possibly hold off on solids for a little while longer.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #9
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ds has a latex allergy & we use the Playtex drop ins bottles. He had this horrible rash on his face for ages that I couldn't figure out. He reacted to band-aids & a few other things when he was in the hospital & it all clicked.

We switched to the silicone nipples for the Playtex bottles & the rash went away completely. He's reacted to bananas as well & I make a point to point out the latex issue when ever he has blood work or is in the hospital (he has other medical problems).

I'm allergic to acrylic & I have to make sure all my clothing is acrylic free. Even 1% makes me so itchy & rashy. The big offenders are winter accessories (scarves, hats, etc), sweaters & wintry clothing in general but I always check fabric content before I buy anything.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
SylvieP
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have tons of silicone nipples for those bottles that I do not use anymore. If you want to pay the shipping I can send them to you. You could just sterilize them before using. I probably have at least a dozen.

Just an idea.....may take a few weeks to get to you tough since I am in Canuck Land....let me know!