Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2016, 10:23 AM   #1
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Tinkle Traps Review - Prefold Converted Customizable Fitteds (pic heavy)

Overall A! If you are looking for a less expensive fitted - especially if GMD WH or sandys isn't exactly what you are looking I would check Tinkle Traps out.

The base model fitteds are converted prefolds with a quick dry doubler and a topper (usually velour is standard I think) and no closures. Adding Closures adds a little extra, but changing the topper appears to be free. I got suedecloth. Now the topper is just on the doubler so it covers a little more than half the inside, but that works for us. She had offered to do the entire inside in suedecloth for a little extra as well.

I like them. I would recommend getting it with an extra doubler for anyone over say 6m or more than a standard to light wetter. Otherwise through the wet zone is basically the center panel of a prefold, plus one side panel, so even less than an angel wing folded prefold. The extra doubler I got on the second one is hemp. I like the absorbancy of this one and use a doubler on the other one. With the enclosures and the extra soaker the price compares with a sandy, but with more fabric, and I believe more absorbancy, in the wetzone.

I have a just 2 year old whom I would call a heavy side of normal wetter. She is about 24lbs, with a long skinny rise.

I would say they run small. I got the premium size which is rated 15-30+ lbs. They fit but without a lot of room to spare. That the rise is close doesn't shock me much, but I feel like around the waist is close to. I got side snaps and there are 4 rows. DD is one in from the last and its almost too tight. If I were to get more I'd try the Toddler size rated 25+lbs.
Update: The owner said that Toddler size is wider by doesn't have more rise.

Overall if I needed to size up the sandys I have (and the toddler fit right) I would get more. We use sandys fitteds today I like the additional absorbency in the wet zone, especially since we use fitteds with wool. DD also needs the suedecloth through the wetzone and it saves me from having to sew it on myself or laying it in (which I don't like to do). I got them because I was thinking about getting diaper bag fitteds, but I decided not to spend the money at the moment.

Customer Service is great. Maybe a bit slow, we had a lot of back and forth determining what I wanted and she only replied once a day. But when I emailed with a sewing issue in one of the fitteds I got, she actually responded very fast inluding return shipping credited to paypal. She fixed it, added a doubler to it for free (we had been discussing before I found the defect about getting more with an extra doubler) and shipped it back fixed.

So if you need/want a stay dry fitted made of natural fiber I'd recommend. And if just looking for a natural fiber WHAM fitted as well. Tinkle Traps.

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool and my Tinkle Traps Review. DESTASHING HERE!

Last edited by Pixi6s; 01-06-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:56 PM   #2
abemom2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tinkle Traps Review - Prefold Converted Customizable Fitteds

Thanks for posting! I wanted to,try them a year ago, and she was closed. I got some now, and like them.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:50 PM   #3
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

Nice review. Very trim. Do you use for days only? How long did they work for you? And bye that color way on the wool is gorgeous.
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:49 PM   #4
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I only have the 2 and I use them for days. I asked her about making a pocket fitted with suedecloth for night and she quoted a very reasonable price but since I can't order them with more rise I am hesitant. I wish I had found/tried them a while ago, it would have been nice to find day fitteds with suedecloth added.

They are very trim. How long? you mean before changing? I would probably say one pee which is about 2 hours for us. I try to change whenever I know she pees and with wool I know a bit more often. We are at the edge of PL so we can go dry for a good chunk of the day if I can get her to potty every 2-3 hours. But also remember she is 2 and has always been an avg+ wetter.

The wool is the first successful pair I made for her! I actually made (and has been wearing) them about a year ago but the rise was pretty big then. I have increased the inseam once and added, then extended the ruffles at the hem to keep using them. They are just about outgrown now, mostly the waist though the rise isn't too bad. They actually don't have a crotch gusset so the crochets on the bum are a bit stretched out too. It's actually just Patons Wool called Kimono I believe. Thanks! I'm proud of them.

I couldn't find great pics but these are cuffed in 2014

And more recent

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool and my Tinkle Traps Review. DESTASHING HERE!

Last edited by Pixi6s; 01-16-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:36 PM   #5
abemom2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The first one I ordered is the regular premium size. The next 5, she shortened the rise, and made it a bit narrower as well, and it fits so much better. Quite a soft diaper, and I prefer it over the Diaper Junction one.