Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
Karen Dyer
Registered Users
seller

Formula alternatives???

So I started supplementing recently bc my LO was losing weight. I am using Enfamil infant formula, but I heard there are other alternatives. For example raw goat's milk or even making your own formula. Has anyone tried this or have any suggestions? TIA.

Advertisement

Karen Dyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
linz2491
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Please get nourishing traditions book. They have a couple of very healthy raw milk formulas recipes in it. I have to believe that real whole food is better then the commercial stuff.
You may be able to look up recipes as well. Go to the weston a. Price website and they may have it there. Good luck!
Lindsay, mom to intact boys Aidan 12 Roan 7 and Gabby Rose 5 :no longer breastfeeding, or cloth diapering, sometimes co sleeping, had 2 unassisted home births, but still non vaxing, unassisted home birthing and home schooling
linz2491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:
Re: Formula alternatives???

It depends partly on the age of the baby.

Goat's milk, by itself, is not adequate for a baby human. Please read here (it's from Kellymom, a very pro-BF site, so it's absolutely not formula company propaganda). If you are talking about a young baby, you needs something more appropriate for a human baby, either by nature (breastmilk) or made that way (formula). Goat's milk is natural -- but it's natural for a baby goat.

If you're talking about a 10-month old baby who is eating solid food, but your supply is dipping and you want to supplement, that's a different story.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

http://www.westonaprice.org/children...a-testimonials This should help you with homemade formula. It also includes videos on how to make the 2 types.

Good luck!
Old 07-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
iamthesmilingone
Registered Users
seller

Would you be comfortable asking a doctor? I have not checked out the links in here but some of the other ones I have seen have been a little scary- as in not enough nutritional value or unsafe for an infant. I feel silly saying it since it is pretty obvious that not all is valid on the web. (my kids roll their eyes at me when I tell them to be careful crossing the street, like they were planning to play in traffic lol')
iamthesmilingone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
charscreations
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Earth's Best Organic Formula is AWESOME!
charscreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
charscreations
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

and so is Baby's Only Formula! It is very very natural and has all great ingredients!
charscreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:34 AM   #8
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd say try Organic formula first. I'm so wary of homemade formula and raw goats milk etc for babies. If they are toddlers that's a bit different since they are heading into food and all and have better developed digestive systems. With babies you just have to be so careful what you give them otherwise they may not get necessary nutrition and so on.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #9
Farmer's Wife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son loved pasteurized Goat milk! It's the closest thing to human breast milk. Be aware that it contains 0% Iron so your LO MUST have 5 Tbsp of iron-fortified cereal per day which is 100% of a baby's daily needs for iron. My son had an eating disorder, had a feeding tube up his nose for over 3 months and then we weaned him off the tube. This is what he wanted at first. Now that he is finally eating well, we use the Kirkland Brand w/Omegas (Costco) standard dilution with half water and half goat milk as the liquid. We tried just water and he ate less so we still use half Goat milk
Old 08-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #10
momtothebrothersOZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have heard of using goats milk for babies with formula allergies. I have a friend who did it with her oldest son.
Domestically challenged SAHM to my preemie Goobah (6/2/09) and perfectly "Average" Boba-Lou (12/18/10). One and only to my co-parent, Mike Crazy crunchy, CDing, EBFing, ERFing, Non-circing, Delayed Vaxing, co-sleeping, toddler-wearing, monster hunting, non-traditional family
momtothebrothersOZ is offline   Reply With Quote