Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:
when to introduce spoons/forks/plates?

DD is 13 months. She eats finger foods right now. When do you introduce a spoon? I have tried to give her food to her on a plate and she will just play with the plate and I am afraid she will just dump it all over the side of her chair. When do you start using these things?

Advertisement

Old 07-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Spoons and forks were always a part of mealtime. I'm pretty sure bowls/plates were too, at least by toddler age. You can always just give it a shot- worst that happens is you have a mess! But no reason to stress over it- if you don't feel ready for plates, don't use them. It's ok to feed them off the high chair tray.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
crunch!910
Registered Users

Re: when to introduce spoons/forks/plates?

We started giving spoon around 12 months I think????? wasn't very good with it, but he could play with it. We never put a plate on his high chair. Everything was placed directly on the tray.

He's 22 months old and has been wanting to sit at the table. We've made hiim aware rules are different at the table. Food is not to be played with. It is to stay on his place. He's encouraged to use utensils (but not forced, since sometimes utensils are sloppier than just picking it up with hands) and he's allowed to have both fork and spoon. He knows if he wants to be a 'big boy', that means more responsibility and higher standards.

According to my friends, we're introducing this really early. DS has a friend 3 months older that still eats with spoon only and out of high chair, not at table.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
crazylife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We did BLW starting when DD was just shy of 7 months and then she started used a spoon/bowl regularly about 9-10 months and she just got better and better using it. Now at almost 18 months she eats pretty much everything with her spoon...of course shoveling with fingers/hands is still popular/faster!
crazylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 17 MO eats everything with forks and spoons now (she actually gets upset, stops eating and says "help, help" when eating foods that she can't quite poke like peas or blueberries ). We introduced utensils at the dinner table to amuse her while we ate. We would give them to her when she was done and playing with her food (aka. feeding the dog), and DH and I weren't finished yet. I guess she just learned by watching us and playing. At first we started with the plastic Take N Toss utensils and now we use the metal Gerber ones. They make plates and bowls that suction cup to the highchair tray if she is a dumper. Now if you figure out a way to get my DD to stop feeding the dog that would be great!
Old 07-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We introduced a spoon very early, when ds was about 10 month. When he was able to feed himself he got spoon or fork depending on what we ate. We allways used china, he has the wedgewood peter rabbit set and we allways used cutlery, from wmf in stainless steel for children. He is now 3.5 years and also has a knife (children cutlery), it is important to us that he knows how to eat with all the tools
Old 07-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just introduce them when we start solids. I get a spoon & they get a spoon. I don't require them to use them like intended, they just watch & learn.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #8
mommyfrog
Registered Users

I usually gave them a little spoon when I started solids so they wouldn't grab the one I was feeding them with. Then when they started self feeding , they would get a little fork or spoon and a bowl or plate, so 9 months or so. With my 2nd kiddo, he just picked up his fork and started eating spaghetti at 9 months, like he'd been doing it all along. It was so cute I took pictures!!
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote