Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Suggestions for hearing protection for a child with sensitive ears?

My youngest has always been very sensitive hearing wise. When he was a baby, every little thing woke him up or startled him. He has always disliked noise making toys or the like. We always just figured it was a quirk of his and he didn't like louder noises. Fine.
We recently switched pedis due to a difference of opinion on vaxs for our oldest(who is autistic).
While our new pedi was doing my 3yo's first exam with her, she commented that his ear canal was misshapen & did loud noises bother him? I said "Yes, always has." She said he has Eustachian Tube Dismorphia & that the normal canal is shaped like the back of a spoon(convex) but that my son's in shaped like the front of a spoon(concave), which amplifies the sound waves as the head into his ear drums. Sometimes the body rights itself and they pop back to the correct shape, but since his has probably always been like that(since he has always been sound sensitive), it will probably stay concave.

Since he's older now & we do more things like sporting events, zoos, movies, etc, his overly sensitive ears are really starting to be an issue. Covering them with hands only(as he's learned to do all by himself) doesn't cut it anymore.

Suggestions for ear protection are appreciated!!! I was thinking things like lawn workers wear, but those are adult sized.

Bye bye.
nakedbabytoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:53 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Suggestions for hearing protection for a child with sensitive ears?

We have Peltor Kids ear protectors. Love them! Fireworks, lawnmower running in the yard, baby crying , Big Truck Day - DS sports his blue "ear muffins". DD, on the other hand, will wear them while on the lawn mower and nowhere else!! Ripped them off her head everytime we put them on at the fireworks!
alexsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:58 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: Suggestions for hearing protection for a child with sensitive ears?

We have the baby/toddler hearing protection. Not these but similar. We've used them every once in a while since our son was itty bitty. We worried about the saws in the basement & 4th of July.
Mom to my wonderfully sweet toddler who is the joy of our lives. :
pcjs is offline   Reply With Quote