Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2011, 06:26 AM   #1
Birdsmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
flat nipples... and really want to make nursing work!!

I am due with DD2 on Oct 2nd and I want to nurse so bad. I tried with DD1 and it was so hard. she was 5 weeks early and had such a hard time staying awake to eat and I have the flattest nipples I have ever seen. I tried the nipple shields but by that time it was just too late and we were both so frustrated. so I pumped and gave her a bottle. I am going to use the nipple shields from day one unless I get a super sucker who doesnt care if I have flat nipples.

Has anyone had experience with flat nipples that they can share. tips on getting them to "come out". I'd appreciate the help. thanks

Advertisement

Birdsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
SenoraE
Registered Users
seller

Re: flat nipples... and really want to make nursing work!!

Did pumping help draw them out? Can you pump a few minutes then offer to your little one? Can you pump a few minutes throughout the day now to help before LO is born?
Old 07-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
amazon_jane21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
You might want to try breast shells toward the end of pregnancy. I would highly recommend talking to a lactation consultant and attending your local La Leche League meeting. I had flat nipples before DS and ended up using a nipple shield for every feeding for 4 months, but he did eventually bf without it.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
amazon_jane21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon_jane21 View Post
You might want to try breast shells toward the end of pregnancy. I would highly recommend talking to a lactation consultant and attending your local La Leche League meeting. I had flat nipples before DS and ended up using a nipple shield for every feeding for 4 months, but he did eventually bf without it.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Yes, I think it's a good idea to start to prepare your nipples by loosening that attachment before your baby is born. Breast shells will do that. They are different from breast shields; they are not worn while nursing. Here's a link to an example: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000058DQJ/ref=nosim/chrisficti-20
Old 07-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
lisha622
Registered Users
seller

I have (had?) inverted nipples and DD was born in March. I was so nervous about BFing because I heard about how hard it is. I wore shells for about 5 weeks before (not all the time because they look goofy, but when I was just hanging around the house I would). I think they did help although it's hard to know how much. My nipples were still inverted when DD came. Then she latched OK when she came, but I could never do it on my own. LC could get her to latch, but I would try forever, and only occasionally could get her to latch and was usually frustrated... once my milk came in, there was no getting her to latch, so I got a nipple shield from the LC (DD was 4 days old). I was nervous I'd never get her to wean, but she weaned at 4 weeks, and I really only tried once a day to get her to latch without it... eventually she just got it. I did pump some too to try to get her to bring it out. I think just continual sucking eventually is what got one of them out. The other side is still inverted, but she draws it out just fine now without a shield because she's used to it, I suppose.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
kanga1622
Registered Users

I used breast shells between feedings for about a week and we used a nipple shield for 2 weeks. Then we went cold turkey and just let DS get things going on his own. He was eating a least once an hour so my nipples didn't really have a chance to flatten out completely between nursing sessions.

We are still nursing a ton at 16 months.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #7
Birdsmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had the shells last time after I had the baby. so maybe I'll try them before. Can using these put you into early labor? I had DD1 5 weeks early so I dont know when I should start messing with my nipples. I've just heard it can put you into early labor. but I dont know.
Birdsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
renee33019
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also had flat nipples and a tongue tied baby but we're still bfing at 22 months! To get them "ready" all I did was kinda pinch and roll them a bit to get them firm.. Then I'd pop her on and she was a happy camper. After about a month or so she didn't need me to do it, she just latched without any problem.. No I can say, I no longer have flat nipples, the breastfeeding fixed them.
renee33019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #9
mrstilly
Registered Users
seller

I have flat nipples too, and DS was tongue tied! We started with the nipple shields at day 3 and are still using them (at 3.5 mos), but are in the process of weaning. I haven't been diligent about getting him to wean, or I'm sure he could have weaned earlier. We also had his tongue tie cut at 6 weeks, and that helped a lot. My nipples are not flat anymore, but DS doesn't open wide and likes to 'play', so weaning hurts a bit while he learns to open his mouth more and stop biting down and turning away. I've heard some people say that the nipple shields caused issues, so just make sure your child keeps gaining weight and seems satisfied after each feeding. I had an oversupply, so we never had any issues with DS not getting enough to eat. You can totally do this! Is there a breastfeeding group or a LLL meeting near you? They have helped me a ton!
mrstilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

There is a new product by Lansinoh called Latch Assist. I have no personal experience with it, but you may want to look into it. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/B00112EIWW