Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
Ellasundies
Registered Users

Talk to me about the arms reach cosleeper

I'm wondering how the arms reach cosleeper attaches to your bed?

I have a beautiful antique bed that was my great grandmothers. Because it's older (1936) it's not built to the standards of today the mattress didn't fit quite right. I want to know how the ARC connects so I can determine if it will work before I get one.

I looked on their website for directions and didn't find any explanation that makes any sense. Can someone please explain this to me. I don't want to buy it and find out it won't work.

Also how long did you find it worked for you? Neither of my kids were ever very heavy. Heck my 2 year old could still use the ARC according to weight. But they were both born at 21". About how long do you think it would work?

Are there any other cosleeping options out there that may be cheaper?

Advertisement

Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Talk to me about the arms reach cosleeper

It "attaches" like the newer little safety rails - the canvas/mesh ones - that you can attach to a regular bed when your toddler moves up from a toddler bed/crib.

Basically, there is a long strap with a heavy plastic plate in the middle of it. You lay the straps on top of your box spring, with the plate on the opposite side of where you want the co-sleeper. (In our case, the co-sleeper was going on Mommy's side of the bed, so the plate was on Daddy's side.) Spread the straps out so they reach all the way across the box spring. Now, turn the plate vertical, and put your mattress back on the bed. the plate should be firmly against the side of the bed, with the bottom half against the side of the box spring and the top half against the mattress. Go around to the other side of the bed and buckle the cosleeper to the ends of the straps. They clip on like typical stroller or high chair seatbelt buckles. When you tighten the straps, they pull the cosleeper tight against the edge of the mattress.

If your bed has the type of frame where the headboard and footboard are connected with a solid wood rail - a sleigh-bed, for example - it will be very hard to get the cosleeper to attach without a gap. We were able to, but just barely.

We had the mini cosleeper, which is about the same size as a standard bassinet. Regardless, it has the same danger as a basinett. The sides are not high, so when baby starts rolling over, and definitely when they start sitting up, they can fall out. Also, you kind of have to lift the baby up out of the cosleeper - they aren't on the same level as the main bed. And, if your mattress is much higher or lower than a standard bed, you may need to buy extension legs to raise the co-sleeper.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
Esmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can turn your crib into a cosleeper
http://www.drmomma.org/2010/01/turn-...cosleeper.html

Last edited by Esmommy; 06-28-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Esmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
CarolinaMama
Registered Users
seller

like the pp said, it attaches firmly enough but there ay be a gap depending on your bed frame. My dd was a tiny lump and did not start rolling till 6 months so she was in it for a while. We shall see how long my future ds will be in there. My mom bought me the super pretty one that looks like a mini sleigh bed and i LOVE IT! It is going to be passed down to my kids, it is so solid and beautiful. I am sure by then it will be illegal though.

I loved having my dd next to me but not in bed with me. I can not cosleep because I do not sleep if I do. It was a joy to use at night because I nursed. She would fuss, I'd pick her up and pop her on the boob. The only thing was that I was so half asleep I would not support my back properly and get a back ache.

I would check out craigslist or a local consignment store if you wanted to save a bit if you are unsure if you would like it.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Ellasundies
Registered Users

Thank you Sha-nanagins for that great explanation. It would definitely work then. My bed does have side rails (don't most beds?) so I'm worried about a gap but even if there is one it can't be by that much.

Esmommy I'm very familiar with sidecarring a crib. I just don't have room in my bedroom.

CarolinaMomma-those little sleigh style beds are gorgeous. I'm jealous
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love love love my mini cosleeper. DD is still using it at 3.5 months, and has about 4-5 inches of growing room in it. It is deeper than the traditional PNPs, so I would feel comfortable with a baby in it until the kiddo could sit up.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
LittleABC
Registered Users
Formerly: greenfamily9200
seller
seller

My Mood:

I LOVE my ARC. I love that I can make it a co sleeper, bassinet, or a playpen. I have used mine with all three of my LO's. My youngest is still in it. I don't know what I would have done without it.

I know it has saved money having three beds in one. We take it everywhere. Just a little FYI- If you get one. You don't have to buy the extra sheets from them. The playpen sheets at walmart fit in mine.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:39 PM   #8
mkrisel
Registered Users

We have the full version and loved it. Dd slept in it as a cosleeper until about 5 months when it and cosleeping oolong became options (not my choice). But she became mobile soon after anyways. We still use it as a pack and play at 17 months with lots of room to go. It is heavier than the other pack and play we own, but served it's purpose incredibly well.
mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
jcgreenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have the full-sized version, and we had a slight gap b/c of the bedrail issue but it wasn't a big problem. I usually put a pillow down in there so that on the teeny chance I dropped DS in that small crack area he would land on something soft. Of course my stubborn little man didn't want much to do with it. He wouldn't sleep in it for any extended period of time (and honestly the mattress is kind of hard so I don't really blame him) so we ended up with him in the bed and I used the AR to hold my water, a book, a couple diapers etc... so I didn't have to trudge down the hall in the middle of the night. We kept it though and have used it as a pack-n-play for out of town guests, so it was still helpful. If you can find a gently used one I would recommend it I'm glad I found ours that way since we didn't get the full use out of it.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #10
MyKylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had one. I didn't care for it, but I think it was better than a bassinet. We did the sidecar thing with the crib and love it.

K R M
MyKylie is offline   Reply With Quote