Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
lemurkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Need some info and advice :)

Hi Ladies, I need some info on nursing while pregnant and Tandem nursing!

We are are ttc #3 (fingers crossed for a sticky bean this month!) and DD is 2 and a half and we're still breastfeeding like crazy. I'm thinking we might be continuing to breastfeed for awhile yet. I breastfed DS through the first 3 months of my pregnancy with DD he weaned off just at a year but I think it was because my supply dropped when I hit the second trimester. So I'm needing some advice on how to sucessfully keep nursing or if I should expect her to wean herself off as my milk and supply changes and also some good resources on tandem nursing just incase we're still going then.

Advertisement

Old 07-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need some info and advice :)

If you don't already have LLL's book on tandem nursing, it is a great resource. It even helped me feel better about my feelings of disliking nursing my ds1 as a toddler while pregnant with ds2. I had initially wanted to tandem nurse but ended up encouraging my ds1 to wean which he did just fine with.
Anywho..... The book is called Adventures in Tandem Nursing, by Hilary Flower. Lots of great stories and advice.
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #3
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Adventures in Tandem Nursing is a great book!

My DD continued nursing through my pregnancy even though I'm pretty sure there wasn't any milk there. She was always a big comfort nurser, so I think that was why she continued. I think it's more likely that a comfort nurser will continue to nurse through mom's pregnancy, while a child who nurses for the milk only will more likely wean.

We got down to three nursing sessions a day because they were sometimes painful and uncomfortable for me, and three was about the max I could manage. If she asked to nurse at a time other than the designated nursing time (bedtime, naptime, first thing in the morning), I would just say she could have milkies later and try to redirect to some other activity. She wasn't always thrilled about it, but we made it work.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:32 PM   #4
lemurkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
Adventures in Tandem Nursing is a great book!

My DD continued nursing through my pregnancy even though I'm pretty sure there wasn't any milk there. She was always a big comfort nurser, so I think that was why she continued. I think it's more likely that a comfort nurser will continue to nurse through mom's pregnancy, while a child who nurses for the milk only will more likely wean.

We got down to three nursing sessions a day because they were sometimes painful and uncomfortable for me, and three was about the max I could manage. If she asked to nurse at a time other than the designated nursing time (bedtime, naptime, first thing in the morning), I would just say she could have milkies later and try to redirect to some other activity. She wasn't always thrilled about it, but we made it work.
Thanks! I will have to track down a copy of that book. I think DD is definately a comfort nurser, she's always asking for nunnies when she gets upset or hurt etc. We've been slowly working towards specific times a day because sometimes I can't handle her nursing all the time especially right before AF comes etc. So hopefully because we've already got a start on that, it will be easier.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

i am currant nursing my 11 month DD and 24 weeks pregnant i also nursed my DS my entire pregnancy with DD and than tandem nursed until DS self weaned at 18 months oatmeal is good for milk supply you can get or make lactation cookies made with oatmeal and other things that are good for milk supply i also know there is a supplement called More milk two that is supposed to increase supply and is safe while pregnant i would look at the kellymom website it had a lot of info on breastfeeding

link on more milk two
http://www.motherlove.com/product/32...ohol-Free.html

link for kellymom info on nursing while pregnant
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/tandem/index.html

Last edited by Truckerswife; 07-18-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Truckerswife is offline   Reply With Quote