Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
An Open Letter to All Ob/Gyns and Maternity Wards

I came across this letter tonight and thought it expressed the feelings of many on this board. I just had to share!

The original article is here: http://thestir.cafemom.com/pregnancy..._letter_to_all

Quote:
Dear American Maternity Ward Staff...

I know that to you, I am your job. I am one woman whose face you likely won't remember in a month, especially since many a time, you're focused on the monitors or my vagina and cervix, and not me as a person. I'm one bloody crotch among ten or more you may see in one day, one baby's birth among the many you'll attend. Some doctors might remember me down the road, and that's amazing. But if you aren't on call the day I go into labor, I'm afraid of the lack of relationship with the stranger who may be there for me.

I know you'll have done this many a time, but for me, this is a very unique day. This is as important, if not much more important, than my wedding. This is a day, an experience, I will remember for the rest of my entire life. Your actions, the things you say to me and how you treat me are things I will likely remember until the day I die, for better or worse. I'd never hire a wedding planner who told me that a wedding was just a means to an end, that my wishes didn't matter, or that since it might rain, we should forgo the beautiful lakeside setting. My opinion does matter.

Both my life and my baby's, our well-being, both physically and mentally, are in your hands. I know you have a family of your own to get to, but imagine if I were your wife on the table, birthing your child. Or your sister? Or what if it was you? You wouldn't rush that, would you? Would you tell me to stop being whiny? Or tell me I'm being childish or too loud? Or would you hold my hand and try to help me find the best way I can to manage? Would your movie tickets matter to you tonight if I were your wife? How would you want to be treated?

Machines are machines, and my body is my body. Machines aren't always right, and you know that. Trust your instincts, too. I can feel my contractions, even if your machine can't find them, and if you'd use your hand instead of the machines, you could feel them, too. Remember that sometimes labor can take days, and stress can stall labor, or it can stall at intervals to allow rest -- this doesn't mean my body is failing, or needs a push. Inductions can take days, or even fail to work, too. This doesn't mean I need a higher dose or to be cut open, unless my life or my baby's is really in danger.

So please, remember -- I am not just another job. I am woman, a person, a soon-to-be mother, going through one of the most important experiences of my entire life, and your choices can help shape my and my child's entire future.

Signed,

Expectant Mothers

Advertisement

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
CarolinaMama
Registered Users
seller

Re: An Open Letter to All Ob/Gyns and Maternity Wards

*LIKE*
Old 07-18-2011, 07:42 AM   #3
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love that!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
sundaesprinkles
Registered Users
seller

WONDERFUL!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Please know that this is not the case for all hospitals and medical professionals. I'm a maternity RN and have been blessed to work with, and learn from, some wonderful nurses, midwives and OB's. I see it as a privilege to be part of a birth, and the growing of a family. I work hard to put the needs of my patient and her family first. Machines are part of modern medicine. Standards of care determine the use of monitors. But every patient has the right to decline as well. I use my hands to assess and comfort, my voice to soothe, and my eyes and ears to observe the person, not just the monitor. I'm the type or RN who will push you to try a different position when I can see you are overwhelmed. I will teach your SO how to apply pressure, just so, to ease your pain. I cheer you on when you push, cry with you when your baby finally arrives, and am sure to grab your camera when I see a special moment. I am grateful and blessed to be a part of this.
mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:02 AM   #6
A&M'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaagain
Please know that this is not the case for all hospitals and medical professionals. I'm a maternity RN and have been blessed to work with, and learn from, some wonderful nurses, midwives and OB's. I see it as a privilege to be part of a birth, and the growing of a family. I work hard to put the needs of my patient and her family first. Machines are part of modern medicine. Standards of care determine the use of monitors. But every patient has the right to decline as well. I use my hands to assess and comfort, my voice to soothe, and my eyes and ears to observe the person, not just the monitor. I'm the type or RN who will push you to try a different position when I can see you are overwhelmed. I will teach your SO how to apply pressure, just so, to ease your pain. I cheer you on when you push, cry with you when your baby finally arrives, and am sure to grab your camera when I see a special moment. I am grateful and blessed to be a part of this.
Awe this is amazing! It made me tear up when I read that you actually feel like this! Mostly because I dream of getting to go back to school and being a labor and delivery nurse. And this is exactly the kind of thing I yearn for! I don't think there would be any greater experience. And secondly because this is the exact kind of nurse I would standing by me. And I think I could give this to someone else!

You sound like a blessing to your patients!
A&M'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
andyoly82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaagain
Thankfully this is the kind of nurse I had when I delivered DS by myself. So thank you!!!

On that note loved the letter!
Old 07-31-2011, 12:25 AM   #8
Lindsay12
Registered Users

My Mood:

Great article
Lindsay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:38 AM   #9
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

I've had some great nurses, and some horrible ones. The great nurses truly do make a difference!
Old 07-31-2011, 05:45 AM   #10
Ellasundies
Registered Users

^^^^Unfortunately the bad nurses/ob's make a difference too and sometimes they make more of one.

Great letter!
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote