Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
Registered Users
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 30
no what???

backstory...i lost my job in june that we had coverage through until 9-1...we filed for bcbs (blue cross blue shield of texas) but i just recieved a letter today saying that we were denied due to "current expectant parent" and that our girls were denied i am now without insurance...and have NO clue where to look...since i am pretty sure that most reg.'normal insurance companies won't take us on with me being pg...does anyone know where we can get some insurance...i thought about looking into state aide type insurance...but i have NO idea where to start that process...i want the kids to at least have coverage but would really like to find something for the whole family...even if it means have seperate plans...

thanks for sharing any and all info for insurance ideas in TEXAS!


dreamingintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
breezy's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Marysville WA
Posts: 80
My Mood:
Maybe your doctors office might know which direction to point you in.
Breezy Momma to Preston 2/15/06 and Parker 11/1/07

breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
cowangel's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,190
My Mood:
Re: no what???

Check with your local health department. They will generally do a free appointment for you and have a pregnancy test to confirm pregnancy and then they will even apply or show you how to apply for state insurance once there's been proof of pregnancy. Generally you local DHS (Department of Human Services) will be where you can go online and fill out an application for state insurance for your kids or you can contact them on the phone or go by in person to find out how to apply for your kids to get state insurance. In the mean time you and the kids can go to the health dept. in anyone gets sick and if you declare your income when you check-in they will provide services to you and your family on an income based sliding scale...hope that helps!
cowangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
rainydaysunshine's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,941
Re: no what???

Yep, most states offer insurance to children and pregnant women. I googled it, and got this CHIPS

scroll down to the section labeled CHIPS and see if that can't point you In the right direction.
Thia, semi-crunchy wife to G (2005) and mama to Ashur (9/2006) and Julian (3/2010-birth story). Bfing, Dr. Bob vaxing, sling wearing, extended rear facing

Little girl, Seren Elise, born at home 11/18! Birth Story
rainydaysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #5
sasra_nu's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Downstate Illinois
Posts: 4,872
Re: no what???

Were you offered COBRA? If your insurance ended 9/1, you should still be eligible to enroll.

Otherwise, most states have fairly generous income limits for pregnant women and children. I know in IL it is around $3k/mo for a family of 3. Check your state's website for info on if you qualify.

If you can't find/don't qualify for anything at all, then you could always do a homebirth or birth center with a midwife for much cheaper than a traditional OB hospital birth. Or call around to drs/hospitals and find out what their rates are for a Self Pay patient/pregnancy/birth.

Good luck!
Sarah - BF, CD, & cosleeping graduate, SAHM turned WAHM to Violet Ruth - 10/07
My ebay - EUC & New Kids' and Adults' Clothes and Other Great Finds
Missing my 11-week angel baby 6/11, CP 2/12, and 10-week angel baby 1/13 "Too beautiful for earth" Still waiting and praying for our RAINBOW
sasra_nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
shortdrawbryant's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Newbern,TN
Posts: 2,005
My Mood:
Re: no what???

Apply for state insuranace for you and your children at the department of human services. also you will have to have a proof of pregnancy for them to enroll you and usually the health dpt will do that all for free plus give u a presumptive care form good for 30 days
Nichole, Wife to DH Billy and Mommy to DD Patience (01/10) and Robert (11/11).
shortdrawbryant is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC. All Rights Reserved.