Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
CLoveGo
Registered Users

Unhappy EC Strike?!

So, we've been part time EC-ing my little 14 month old boy for the last 3 months. In the beginning he would pee even the tiniest bit when I held him over the toilet, but for the last 2 days he has refused to pee/poop and instead lets out a tiny stream after I take him away from the toilet. Is this normal? Will it last? Did he only like to pee because he could play with the stream and now he's bored of it? Oh, some help and insight would be nice!

Advertisement

CLoveGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
dumaine
Registered Users

Re: EC Strike?!

From my experience and many, many others I have read about strikes are very normal. What worked best for us was trying to make potty time exciting again. We continuously racked our brains to find new, exciting solutions and eventually the strike would be over-until the next one came around!

In your case he could be feeling a little under the weather, so things may go back to normal in a few days. Otherwise, you may want to try some other things to jumpstart it.

Here's a list of some of the things we and others have tried:
-try a new potty (small seat on top of toilet, kid urinal, bblp, old school wooden potty, etc.)
-try new positions
-put potty in a new location-even outside if possible or him let pee outside with no potty-in my experience they *love* that!
-during playtime make one of his toys use the potty
-read him potty books and/or watch potty videos
-have him help clean up messes if possible
-have a special toy or toys he can only use on the potty
-sing silly songs while he is pottying
-let him turn the light on and off in the bathroom

There are many other things we did too, but hopefully this list will help and maybe others will chime in.

Good luck!

ecaPants are patent pending
dumaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
CLoveGo
Registered Users

Thanks for the post that it happens..it just cracks me up that pottying in the bathroom has become...boring...LOL, I never thought of it that way. I'm hoping it won't last long...
CLoveGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #4
lvnurs9
Registered Users
seller

We did part time EC from 5-9ish months, until DS got sick. I've never been able to get back into it He's 14 mo now and is showing interest in his bblp, so I am hoping to get him going again! I think this age is just difficult haha.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
jessicah
Registered Users
seller

I have a friend with 6 children. Every single one wore diapers like a typical usa baby until their first birthday. Then, not long after that she puts them in trainers and undies full time (except at night).

It takes a few weeks of lots of accidents and staying home as much as possible, but it always worked really well for her.

So I think 14 months is a great age to start- the sooner the better. A generation or two ago 14 months would have been the NORMAL potty training age anyway.

My mom who is 54 pottytrained my sisters before they were 1 b/c she had both a year apart, no washer or dryer and wash handwashing diapers.

Her mom (83) put all her kids in undies right around their first birthday full time.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:14 AM   #6
lvnurs9
Registered Users
seller

Huh... so just put DS in undies and cue him that way? Interesting lol. I might try that!