Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2011, 07:30 AM   #1
GreysBumatomy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Evening out supply?

my son is 2 weeks old, and i nurse him on both sides for the same amount of time (20min each) and then pump empty afterwards. My left side produces 4.5-5oz but the right side produces closer to 3oz. The left side also has a much stronger flow - several strong shooting streams actually, and the right side i noticed only has maybe 1 or 2 weak ones and the rest kind of dribble.

Is there anyway to even this out? I've been pumping 5 min past flow on the right side to stimulate it to produce more and have been starting on that side. Is there anything else I can do?

Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 07:40 AM   #2
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thats alot of milk to get after nursing. How was babies 2 week weight check? It's common for the breasts to not be equal like that. Especially since u introduced the pump before u established a supply/demand with baby. Nothing to worry about! Although u may fight with over supply in a few weeks.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Evening out supply?

production from both sides will not be the same and is normal. Can I ask why you need to pump? Do you have a supply problem? The milk removed after nursing is higher in fat than the milk at the start of a feeding.

If you have a full term, healthy baby, the best thing you can do is nurse the first side until he's done. Don't worry if it's 15 min or 30 min. He knows what to do. Then offer the second side. He'll take what he wants. If you feel over-full when he's done, you can relieve some of the discomfort by pumping. For the next feeding, start on the side where you left off. Your body knows how to regulate things if he is latching and nursing well.
mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
GreysBumatomy
Registered Users
seller
seller

his 2 week check was yesterday and he was way above his birthweight. He was born 5lb 14oz, discharged 4 days later at 5lb 6oz, and at 2 week appt he was 6lb7oz. He is definitely getting well enough hindmilk judging from his weight gain and his poops.

Im pumping so DH can bottle feed and to have a stock up in case I want a glass of wine here and there. Also, I feel more comfortable emptying out after each feeding.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Pumping is great! But it's teaching ur breasts that u need ALOT of milk. Thus, NEEDING to pump or else feeling uncomfortable. I would suggest pumping a few times a day ( at the same time) but not after every feeding. Over supply can become a big problem if the breasts don't get 'empty' leading to mastitis and clogged ducts

Congrats on ur little guy. His weight is appropriate. Not crazy fast gain but good
Old 07-19-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a "robo-boob"--my left side produces more than my right and is always more full. Like PPs posted, it's very common and not really anything to worry about.

BTW, you can have a glass of wine and nurse without any concerns. Now, I wouldn't recommend getting drunk and nursing, but a drink here and there is completely fine.