Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
treehuggerheather
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
how much detergent should I use???

I just had to mega strip my diapers due to build up of liquid tide causing ammonia burns on my ds. I did a hot wash w/ a squirt of dawn followed by many rinses, this not working so I washed on HOT w/ liquid planet 1/2 way to the 0 line w/ a capful of bleach, followed by about 10 HOT washes w/o anything. Diapers are ok now. I use prefolds/covers and pockets stuffed w/ hemp prefolds and microfiber insert for nighttime.
I am never again going to use the tide he liquid on my diapers, I felt so bad for my ds. I bought the tide ultra he powder, but I am afraid of using too much again and it causing build up again. I used original tide he for about 7 months w/o issue before I tried the liquid. I have been searching on here for 2 days now and I know it varies but on average how much detergent do you use? I have hard water but we have a water softener, and I have a small FL he machine. 2-3 Tbsp enough detergent to try? When I used the tide original, I think I did about 1/2 way to the first line in the scoop? Any advice?

Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
treehuggerheather
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: how much detergent should I use???

anyone?
Old 07-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ammonia isn't caused by too much detergent, its caused by bacteria from urine in the diaper. I agree switching from tide. My ds got burns as well using it, but I believe it was from the detergent itself, not ammona. I use country save and love it. I use piwder- it washes out much easier. Depending on the detergent and if u have hard or soft water is how much detergent to use.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, I use Tide Free and Gentle Liquid in an HE washer I fill the cup about 1/2-way. Every 2nd or 3rd wash I add a cap of bleach or a scoop of OxiClean. My DS is 25 months old and his nighttime hemp gets stinky ammonia if I don't bleachy or Oxi the diapers regularly.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
treehuggerheather
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I switched to liquid because we have a septic system and my dh said we're not supposed to use powder.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
eaglewife126
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

if you had AMMONIA, then the diapers were not coming clean enough. IME diapers with buildup smell fishy after the are peed in. or just plain stinky.
i use tide powder, 3 or 4 tablespoons depending on how many diapers. and i always run a 2nd hot wash with no soap to prevent buildup.
i have never heard of not being able to use powder soap with a septic system. the soap disolves so i don't know how it's any different?? of course, i don't know much about septic systems, but we always used powder when we had one...never heard different.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #7
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by treehuggerheather
I switched to liquid because we have a septic system and my dh said we're not supposed to use powder.
I have never heard that bf. Whats the reasoning behind it?
Old 07-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
treehuggerheather
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both my sis who has a septic system and my dh have said this, I do not know the reasoning behind it and my dh is not home atm. I'm pretty sure it was ammonia, because my ds would pee in the diaper once and start crying and pulling on the diaper in the crotch, his parts would be bright red and the smell was ammonia stingy like to me, and then he got small blisters on his penis from the diapers and I put him in sposies and he cleared right up. After doing the hot water wash stripping, he's back in his cloth and ok for 2 days now.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:41 PM   #9
KingsDaughter76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds to me like the diapers were not getting clean enough...you need to use more detergent not less. Ammonia build up is from not getting clean enough- now that you have washed and washed them they are finally really clean and bacteria free. I would really recommend more detergent from now on.
Kellina ~Wife to a Cowboy & Christian Homeschooling Mama to 9 kids and YES we would love to have more! Baby #9 is here!! IT'S A GIRL!! Born Oct 1st 2014!!
Forever missing my 7 m/c babies now safe in the arms of Jesus EARN Amazon giftcards for FREE!! Click to sign up for SWAGBUCKS!!
KingsDaughter76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:38 AM   #10
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

We are on septic and I use the Tide Ultra He powder, and have been suing Tide powder for years. I have never heard that. I use 1/3 cup for a load in my toploader machine. I used the liquid before and hated it because it left my diapers smelly, then went back to powder and have not looked back.
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote