Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
nbert921
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
new mom Losing diaper confidence...help!

I'm a new mom and new to CDing. I'm really trying to make it work, but i just am losing my confidence that it' going to. I see so many mamas on here that are successful with it. I just want to know how you got started and any advice you'd give to moms wanting to CD. Diaper recommendations are always welcome...i really love a trim diaper. I have some BG AIO Smalls, GAD smalls, infant bummis organic prefolds with thirsties covers, FB OS, Grovia one size, Charlie Banana one size, knickernappies one size, and a couple flips. I'm really trying as you can see i've invested some money into this. Please please help!

Advertisement

nbert921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
ebandive
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: new mom Losing diaper confidence...help!

I started when my DS was 3 weeks old. I had no idea what to do with a baby at all, but really wanted to CD to save money. There is a tiny learning curve at the beginning, but within a couple days you get it down no problem. The same learning curve it took me to put on a sposie- I hadn't done it before- so everything new is scary! Modern CDs are so easy, and it sounds like you have a great stash! My advise is just to enjoy your baby!

Come SWAG with me! I'm earning $25 a month in amazon gift cards by searching and taking surveys!
ebandive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Why are you loosing confidence? Whats not working for you? Leaks? Washing? Etc
Old 07-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

how old is your baby and what is not working? : )
Old 07-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
MichelleSG
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just started myself and I found that while everyone else seems to do great with pf as an insert I can't get that to work for me. At all. So as a concession to my not on board with cd dh I bought Flip disposable inserts. Cut in half because nb don't need the length. I consider it a lesser of two evils, still sposie but biodegradable and none of the nasty chemicals. That being said ultimately so far I'm not doing full cloth diapers so it's kind of a half assed attempt.in the future this may change due to what fits/works well.
Moral of the story, you may not want to go full bore right out the gate. Maybe try some hybrid/modified version that works for you. And ultimately it may just not be for you. No biggie, at least you can say you gave it a good try!
Crazy semi-crunchy scientist mama to 1 DD almost 10 yrs old and DD 2 born July '11. CDing, extended vaxing, ERF, even been known to co-sleep (gasp!), and trying my best to baby wear a very persnickety diva.
MichelleSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
jacksmimi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh don't be frustrated yet....we can figure it out What are you having trouble with? What do you like/don't like about cd'ing or what you have/don't have. How old is the baby and size? What is your schedule like (work, daycare, etc.) and what diapers are you using on a regular basis?

Out of what you have I love the prefolds trifolded (in threes lengthwise) laid in the flip. Pretty trim option, and almost bulletproof if you're getting the right fit on the thighs. When you're out and about/vacation etc. you can get the gdiaper disposable insert that lays in the flip too, this is super trim and very absorbent. I use flip at night on my almost 1yr old, with an organic prefold trifolded. She never leaks. I also LOVE the GroVia AIO's. They are super absorbent and wash/wear pretty well.

I got started later with dd, she was 8 mos, but I wish I had started early on. I knew it would better for babies health wise, but I had never had trouble with sposies. (Now I do, my ds#2 has an issue with pullups) Most recenlty I wanted to stop throwing away money on disposables. I went to Costco in February and spent $120 on 2 cases of diapers for my 2yr old and the baby, and a case of wipes and I about choked. There had to be a way to save money? Being a SAHM I thought to myself "women used to do this all the time, without the amenities we have, I should be able to figure this out." I had wanted to CD ds#2 but worked full time and never did the research. I didn't realize there were AIO, pockets, covers, fitteds etc. Had I found DS then I would have converted 3 years ago The mamas on here have taught me all I know, and I'm still learning. The environment is a big factor for us too because we live in California where space is minimal, and we hated the idea of filling landfills with disposables. Now I love it and we have disposables in the house for emergencies only (yeast, bad rashes etc.)

So let us help you
Old 07-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
BoyCrazy
Registered Users
seller
seller

It will be OK mama! Everything is so new and scary when you are a new first time mom, add to it that being hormonal and sleep deprived and it's a wonder any of us survive. But we do!
We are all here to help and support each other. What exactly is not working out for you? Give us details so we can help you out. Sounds like you've got a nice variety to your stash, so hopefully with some good advice you can figure out something that works for you.
BoyCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

what things are making you lose confidence that it'll work?

aka, what do you need to hear success stories about?
Old 07-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #9
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

What's not working? What are the issues you need help with? For us we just jumped in and didn't overthink it. They're just diapers ultimately and we found a way to fit it into our lives and make it work. There are lots of smart ladies here who can probably help!

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
nbert921
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know what to do for good overnight protection. I'm still scared of that and using disposables overnight. I have terrible ammonia stench...all it takes is one wet diaper and the smell is unbearable. i've washed with RnG and soaked in dawn and i also tried using some bleech in a wash and nothing helps. They don't smell until she goes in them, and then it's terrible. i feel like the smell will never go away. also, i dont know if i am just putting the dipes too tight on her, but she gets terrible red marks on her back, mainly from the FB OS. I'm not sure if i'm folding the prefolds right. i have the bummis organic cotton sized infant and they just seem small on her but then i think i must be folding them wrong, but i watch you tube videos on how to do it. I'm not sure if flats are easier to use under a cover.

I think thats all the troubles i can think of at the moment. I'll post again if i come across something as i'm diapering my peanut.
nbert921 is offline   Reply With Quote