Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
taximom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Imagine Prefolds.....standard infant vs. infant

What would be the best to buy for a NB? I see that one is a little more absorbant, would that be the best option? Why would someone buy the standard infant that is less absorbant. I don't have a whole lot of experience with prefolds and have never diapered a newborn. Any advice would be great.

Advertisement

taximom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Imagine Prefolds.....standard infant vs. infant

i recommend the sized imagines over the standards - they will fit much better. with the standard or infant size they will be very long and narrow.http://nickisdiapers.com/catalog.php?category=1937. if you want to go with those i would do the infant size. the bigger the prefold the bulkier it will be on your baby, and harder to fit under an xs cover.

here is something about prefold sizing: http://www.the-cloth-diaper-connecti...lddiapers.html
Old 07-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

to everything Beth said!

I love the sized Imagine prefolds (the "smart fit") and have both the newborn (orange edge) & smalls (green edge) for our baby that should be here any day. I think both sizes are really helpful to have, but if you are on a very tight budget, don't mind bulk and/or are having a big baby then you could probably get away with just the green edge smalls. I personally don't like very bulky diapers on newborns which is why I specifically got some of the orange edges which are very useful as doublers later anyway.

If you really want traditional sizing, not the smart fit...I'd go with the lighter weight infants personally. When folded down to fit a young baby a standard 4x8x4 infant prefold is really bulky. I used the thinner 4x6x4 on my first child before there was sized prefolds and they were much better in terms of fitting in a cover and under clothes. I think we had a few of the thicker ones that we used for naps, etc. Just be aware that with traditional sizing they are really best for folding down to pin (or snappi when on the smaller end of the size range) under a cover, not trifolding.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
taximom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you mean the "Smart Fit" prefolds that they have on Nicki's diapers?
Old 07-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taximom View Post
Do you mean the "Smart Fit" prefolds that they have on Nicki's diapers?
Yep, the smart fit are "sized" prefolds, meaning they are wider & shorter so they fit easily for snappis and trifolding. They come in XS, S, M, L vs the traditional sizing of infant + premium.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
taximom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great, thanks