Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
Lacemonster
Registered Users
seller

Question Am i a crazy person?

I'm assuming I am a crazy person for even asking this, since I'm not even pregnant or anything, but whatev.

So is this nuts? When we have another baby I would like to try out the world of cloth diapers. But the price of a lot of stuff is freaking me out. I had planned on trying prefolds and covers when the babe is tiny, then moving on to sunbabies when they fit. But even that seems expensive (I know disposables are super expensive too, but when it's a little here and a little there I can trick myself into thinking it's not too bad. I'm easily delusioned.)

So, new plan. Flats. But not just any flats, home made stuff. I'm talking receiving blankets that I allready have and cut up t-shirts and stuff like that. I have 4 yds of cotton jersey just sittin around. I plan on just cutting stuff that doesn't need to be hemmed as I don't have a machine and suck at sewing anyhow. That way I really only have to spend money on covers at first. I can totally stomach that.

I've been practicing different flat folds on a very cooperative penguin and I think I can handle doing it. Especially since I found a few folds that I can partially fold before putting away. I think that would work for me.

Does this seem dumb? Am I just going to get totally frustrated right off because I'm not using the appropriate materials? What do you think?

I plan on buying a dozen or so prefolds to have on hand too. And some sort of doublers. Not too sure on that stuff yet though.

So, opinions?

Advertisement

Lacemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
mummy2lolo
Registered Users
Formerly: cay***ali

Re: Am i a crazy person?

I don't think it's dumb at all. Really with NBs you just have to change them as often as you can....a lot of dipes really and buying enough prefolds for this stage can even add up. I think it's pretty smart really, dipes don't have to be fancy right? Just about any absorbent cloth will do, heck t-shirts would work fine. Save your cash up for those sunbabies, they seem like a real good deal to me. The stage before your NB will fit into an AIO is really short. I went crazy and bought a ton of doublers to use for the NB stage and oh my it was such a waste as it wasn't long before I was into the reg sized inserts. Those NBs grow faaaaaast!
mummy2lolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
Vie.en.Rose
Registered Users
Formerly: **le3*
seller
seller

lol, you're not crazy! I can't give you any advice on flats because I've never used them, but they are a time-tested and affordable option.

The upfront investment in cloth diapers definitely can seem scary, I remember breaking the news to DH two years ago when we were expecting our daughter... he wasn't impressed! lol But he trusted me and I bought an AI2 system and spent about $500. I did the math once and figured out that they paid for themselves in 6 months, in comparison to disposable diapers.

The penguin... real of plush? I'd love to see pictures of a real penguin in diapers! lol

Like Swagbucks? Give Gifthulk a try!
Vie.en.Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
GreysBumatomy
Registered Users
seller
seller

The upfront cost is a bit daunting, BUT in the long run, you end up saving! ***
Also, my little peanut was born 5lb14oz, and by a week and a half he was big enough to fit into the sunbabies. So for us it was $9 for a pack of preemie sposies and now onto the Sunbabies.

Also, we are going through diapers like crazy .... since my son has an affinity for pooping as soon as i put on a fresh diaper .... and then again once that one is changed as well. They are definitely earning their keep thats for sure.

*** Saving if you arent like me and are a shopaholic and bought 5 dozen diapers in different brands for one baby.

Last edited by GreysBumatomy; 07-19-2011 at 04:15 PM.
GreysBumatomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
ebandive
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacemonster View Post
I've been practicing different flat folds on a very cooperative penguin and I think I can handle doing it.

I think you are really smart! Flats are really absorbent and easy to clean. As long as you have a good quality cover, you should be fine with that!

You can order 1 sunbaby at a time for $5 each without an insert- just email her. And don't pay for the insert, just use what you are already using at home. If you can afford $5 a month, order one each month and by the time you need them you'll be set.

Come SWAG with me! I'm earning $25 a month in amazon gift cards by searching and taking surveys!
ebandive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
Lacemonster
Registered Users
seller

Allright. So I'm not completely batty to think this might work. I just know that i can dig up some old shirts to use (free) I have that fabric that would probably make 6 or so flats (free) I can hit the thrift store for some shirts (super cheap) Maybe get some flour sack towells (what $6?) And then all I have to buy is some covers, doublers, pins, and wet bags.

I'll be completely honest here, one big reason I'm not wanting to shell out tons of money is that I'm totally not sure if I'll stick with it. My hubby doesn't think I will (sort of gives me the urge to do it just to show him.) He says he'll have nothing to do with cloth diapers, but I think once we move on to something he can put on just like a disposable he'll be on board. Especially when he sees that we don't have to run to the store and spend money all the darned time (he's a total tight wad, once he realizes that this will means we get to keep more of our money he'll use whatever diaper we have.)
Old 07-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #7
Lacemonster
Registered Users
seller

Oh yeah, the penguin..stuffed I don't know how any sort of diaper would fit on a real one. That would be super fun.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
ahenson
Registered Users
seller

No, that makes total sense! It is easy to get discouraged even just trying to find a good fit for your LO, but covers and flats are pretty easy.

If I were REALLY wanting to have some fun at the same time, I would do is see how much disposables would cost and find out how many sposies per week you would use on average. Then take that $$$ every week (or even half) and put into a cloth savings account until your next pregnancy! That way you will have lots of money saved up, and you can shop around, get good deals, and get what you want without having to feel like you are spending a chunk of change all at once. GL!
Old 07-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
ahenson
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Allright. So I'm not completely batty to think this might work. I just know that i can dig up some old shirts to use (free) I have that fabric that would probably make 6 or so flats (free) I can hit the thrift store for some shirts (super cheap) Maybe get some flour sack towells (what $6?) And then all I have to buy is some covers, doublers, pins, and wet bags.

I'll be completely honest here, one big reason I'm not wanting to shell out tons of money is that I'm totally not sure if I'll stick with it. My hubby doesn't think I will (sort of gives me the urge to do it just to show him.) He says he'll have nothing to do with cloth diapers, but I think once we move on to something he can put on just like a disposable he'll be on board. Especially when he sees that we don't have to run to the store and spend money all the darned time (he's a total tight wad, once he realizes that this will means we get to keep more of our money he'll use whatever diaper we have.)
AIOs or pockets might be the way to go then instead of flats and covers. You can always sell them if you decide it isn't going to work out! My DH doesn't like to do prefolds and covers, although he will now, but he was totally on board when he saw how easy the AIOs were that we used with DS1.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #10
Vie.en.Rose
Registered Users
Formerly: **le3*
seller
seller

Quote:
I'll be completely honest here, one big reason I'm not wanting to shell out tons of money is that I'm totally not sure if I'll stick with it. My hubby doesn't think I will
I knew going in I'd have no trouble sticking with it, but DH didn't have an ounce of faith. Now he raves to anyone who'll listen how great cloth diapers are!

Honestly, I've used both cloth diapers and disposables (but very occasionally). The cloth aren't much more work - flushing the poop and doing one more load of laundry a week. That little bit of extra work is outweighed by all the benefits - less smell, less cost, less mess, less waste.

If you really aren't sure you'll stick with it, there's no reason why you can't build a small supply of cloth diapers now to try out. If you like it, invest in more at that point.

Like Swagbucks? Give Gifthulk a try!
Vie.en.Rose is offline   Reply With Quote