Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
sorry...gotta ask a couple poop ??

So, one for me and one for ds!

I was horribly constipated during pregnancy, which I know is common as my body is using everything to nourish the baby. I ate plenty of fruits and veggies, drank water, but still would have to take MOM sometimes to "help" when I got uncomfortable. Is this also common for EBF mamas? I just joined WW and fruits and veggies are pretty much all 0 points now, so I have been eating TONS of fruits and veggies, way more than I did before and I am still...well...."sluggish". I am trying to walk and get exercise when I can but DS is quite a demanding little stinker so he makes it pretty hard! And with 2 others at home, too, it's just hard to fit it in. Anyway, just wondering if anybody else has the same problem and what you do about it?

I know it's common for EBF babies to go days without a BM, but today, DS had one, but it was small for him and it was thick and pasty. He usually has the runny yellow stuff. Is he starting to get constipated? What should I do to help him? I don't want him to get uncomfortable. Do you think it's from my new eating habits? I just started on Thursday or Friday.

Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
iluvmyortiz1122
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: sorry...gotta ask a couple poop ??

For you, I'm not much help. I don't get constipated during pregnancy and I haven't been while we're BF'ing. In the past I've used Miralax with success, and no gassy side effects.

For your baby, maybe something in your diet changed it up? Is it still yellow like before?

iluvmyortiz1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yes, still yellow, but it was just thicker. Usually it's REALLY runny. The only thing that has changed in my diet is more fruits and veggies the last 5 days or so.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was constipated for a while when my DS was first born--I think I just wasn't drinking enough water to keep up with nursing two. As soon as I started to really drink a lot, I was fine again. (I am never, ever constipated normally, so it was very strange.) With the heat and EBFing, you are using more water than normal.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'll try to up my water intake. I have a 34oz jug that I usually fill and drink twice a day. Sadly, I am in the one part of the country that isn't hot. We're at 68* today!
Old 07-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
SenoraE
Registered Users
seller

you definitely need 3 of those a day, not 2. that should fix the issue!
Old 07-19-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenoraE
you definitely need 3 of those a day, not 2. that should fix the issue!
Oh wow! I thought I was drinking plenty! I'm going to float away! I drink 1-2 cups of coffee in the am and that's it. No other sodas or anything except a rare occasion if we're out or that's all that's available.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:04 AM   #8
ChicanaCoqueta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolineb View Post
Oh wow! I thought I was drinking plenty! I'm going to float away! I drink 1-2 cups of coffee in the am and that's it. No other sodas or anything except a rare occasion if we're out or that's all that's available.
coffee is a diuretic, so adding even a little more water wouldn't hurt

apart from drinking water and eating extra roughage you can eat more flaxseed, sprinkle it on stuff like cereals, yogurt, etc
also, I started taking probiotics during pregnancy for the same issue. I think they helped tremendously. I used Garden of Life, primal defense ultra
I still take them now, they're awesome
Old 07-20-2011, 12:15 AM   #9
ollie_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I remember when DDs poop changed to more of a peanut butter consistency. Her Dr said it was okay and it wouldn't be constipation unless she wasn't pooping at all or it came out like hard pellets
ollie_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #10
SenoraE
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolineb View Post
64 oz is the recommended normal everyday person amount. Nursing Mamas = super women, so we need more to make fuel for our little ones.