Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
bnwhitaker
Registered Users
seller

Why??????????

Why would a person use a flat or prefold over just putting an incert in a cover? Wouldnt a joey bunz insert be just the same? Is it simply price? Im also trying to understand why i would do a fitted instead in an insert? Doesnt a fitted just add layers to the sides of the hips? I'm confused! But trying to learn

I'm a newbie cant ya tell

Advertisement

bnwhitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
vittoriosmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why??????????

Flats can be folded to fit your baby's needs (shape and size), they can be shaped to do whatever you need it to do (catch poo in the back or a lot of pee in the front), a prefold that is folded will fit a child much better than a simple insert in a cover. A prefold won't move around and insert will go all over the place... A fitted diaper has elastic around the legs so you have a better chance that it won't leak out the legs... That's why you would use a fitted (they are used around here for nights).

Last edited by vittoriosmom; 07-19-2011 at 04:55 PM.
vittoriosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Some people like to put fitteds on baby with no cover for maximum breathability, you can't really do that with just an insert.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Fitteds are the most absorbent diapers- plus they can be used coverless and are super cute. Prefolds and flats are very versatile and cheap, which makes them a great alternative.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
bnwhitaker
Registered Users
seller

What brands are your favorites?
Old 07-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
thejuel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Inserts aren't NEARLY absorbent as fitteds or prefolds. We don't even use pockets because with the amount of absorbency we need, the diaper would be HUGE.
thejuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
bnwhitaker
Registered Users
seller

What brands do you suggest to try?

I used kissaluvs with my NB and I almost wanted to be done CD because of the super bulk. I also used some orange trimmed prefolds with a snappi, they were less bulky but seemed to get so super wet. I changed him alot too. Now he is 12 lbs and Im just begining to use some other types of CD (pockets, AIO, AI2) and Im looking for trim. I keep hearing that people love to use fitteds or flats and that combo is trim. But Im wondering now which brands??
Old 07-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
thejuel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We use Bumgenius Elementals and Imagine prefolds. They are both trim and absorbent options which is perfect for us. Imagine prefolds are sold by Nicki's Diapers. Green Mountain Diapers also have great prefolds. We use Sbish fitteds at night. They are a little more bulky but super absorbent and never leak.

Sometimes I will use a fleece liner since we use natural fibers which don't have a stay dry feel. Prefolds and fitteds are natural fibers so they are going to always feel wet.
thejuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #9
bnwhitaker
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejuel View Post
Inserts aren't NEARLY absorbent as fitteds or prefolds. We don't even use pockets because with the amount of absorbency we need, the diaper would be HUGE.
Okay so what do you use for brands? I tryed to use prefolds I bought from Greenmountiandiapers and they got soaked so fast. I was actaully blown away when I first took the cover off at how wet they got, if that makes sense. I had only used kissaluv fitteds before that and they didnt seem to get as soaked. But they are were super bulky too.

Also with the kissaluv fitteds it seemed to keep the wet more in the area of where it came out instead of all over like the prefolds I had. I did change him every hour almost never over 2 hrs. He is now 12 lbs.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #10
bnwhitaker
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittoriosmom View Post
Flats can be folded to fit your baby's needs (shape and size), they can be shaped to do whatever you need it to do (catch poo in the back or a lot of pee in the front), a prefold that is folded will fit a child much better than a simple insert in a cover. A prefold won't move around and insert will go all over the place... A fitted diaper has elastic around the legs so you have a better chance that it won't leak out the legs... That's why you would use a fitted (they are used around here for nights).
What brands do you suggest to try?

I used kissaluvs with my NB and I almost wanted to be done CD because of the super bulk. I also used some orange trimmed prefolds with a snappi, they were less bulky but seemed to get so super wet. I changed him alot too. Now he is 12 lbs and Im just begining to use some other types of CD (pockets, AIO, AI2) and Im looking for trim. I keep hearing that people love to use fitteds or flats and that combo is trim. But Im wondering now which brands??