Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2007, 08:17 PM   #1
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

What size prefolds and covers?

I think I want to buy a few prefolds and cute covers but I am totally lost on where to start, where to get them and what size to buy. My son is 18 pounds, 10 months old and rather thin. He wears FB in size M on the tightest setting still.

What size prefolds do I need?

Where can I buy cute covers? Would I need a size Medium in those like FBs?

What size fitteds would I need if I wanted to try a few of those? I need a cover with those rights?

I am so confused. Any help would be awesome ladies!

Advertisement

Old 04-03-2007, 08:31 PM   #2
DEmomof2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What size prefolds and covers?

I only recently found the prefold love. My DD is 23 lbs and 19 months old. The rainbow shorts from Green Mountain Diapers are perfect! ( link to rainbow shorts) There's no extra to fold down in the front or back so they are very trim under clothing. I use a bikini twist or jelly roll and you'd never even know she had a diaper on under jeans!

For covers I just use BSWW or bummis pull on cover. I dyed the pull-on using kool-aid. For cute covers you could check out Starbunz. I've never used them but have seen pics and they are cute. I like using wool best though.

I find that every brand of diaper is different so you should go by measurements. My DD wears a medium-long very baby but a large swaddlebees. Any fitteds would work under the covers (yes, all fitteds need covers). Although you can go coverless at home if you want. I added a strip of cute flannel or velour to my prefolds so we go coverless at home.

Good Luck! I'm sure others can give you more info (especially about cute covers!).
Old 04-04-2007, 06:05 AM   #3
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thank you for your help Jen. I love the look of the wool covers but I know nothing about them. I would love to buy one....they are the cutest!
Old 04-04-2007, 06:47 AM   #4
melissalaurel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 10 (almost 11 month old) is about the same size as your ds.

We're using both Premium size prefolds and rainbow shorts (linked above) and both fit him well. The longer premium size ones I fold down at the waist and snappi but the rainbow ones I don't need to fold down. The larger Premiums seem to be absorbent to me but my rainbow ones are still new and possibly not "fluffed" up enough yet.

We're using BSWW covers in size medium and I can pull them as tight as they will Velcro. We have not tried a fitted diaper yet just a kissaluvs contour. It looks adorable on him, but it is not very absorbent. I'd like the try the swaddlebees fitteds, they look very soft.

Good luck!

mom to 5 boys and expecting a GIRL in January.
Melissa Laurel Fiber Artist
Ravelry profile: melissalaurel
melissalaurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:52 AM   #5
momtophr
Banned
seller

my almost 9 month old is 18lbs. We love prefolds/flats and wool. And for PUL covers I am loving www.wigglewormbottoms.com

As for prefolds we use bamboo flats mostly from Bear Bottom Britches on HC. I have a dozen rainbow prefolds from Greenmountaindiapers.com and a dozen premiums on the way. The premiums have to be snappied to fit him. Infants will fit trifolded in a cover and then just put on . HTH
momtophr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:53 AM   #6
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thank you...I am a bit overwhelmed because there are so many things to choose from. My son only wears FBs and they work perfectly but for some reason I have this urge to try something cuter.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:02 AM   #7
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Kelley~ we were posting at the same time. I do have some infant prefolds...green stitching, right? Do you think I could just buy a cover and try those inside of it to see if I like it?
Old 04-04-2007, 07:05 AM   #8
momtophr
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by napua View Post
Kelley~ we were posting at the same time. I do have some infant prefolds...green stitching, right? Do you think I could just buy a cover and try those inside of it to see if I like it?
yes the green stitching is infant and i use medium WWB covers and trifold those in there. YOu can always add a doubler for a boost in absorbancy
momtophr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:12 AM   #9
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm just starting w/ prefolds too and I think the rainbow shorts everyone is talking about would be perfect for you. I have one right now and I ordered more. I also love my dyed thirsties in my avatar. They are sooo soft that its easy to fold down a flap and they don't feel as bulky as the white Thirsties I have. I buy them individually from www.babysbottomline.com they are baby premiums - 15-30 lbs.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:27 AM   #10
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thank you Kelly

Kelley~ I love the covers at WWB! They are so cute, I found a few different fabrics that I like.