Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-20-2011, 07:05 AM   #11
minneapolisite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Are nipple soothers (gel pads, cream, shields etc.) necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoMeijin View Post
I didn't get any of that stuff, but I did have a friend give me a tube of lanolin. I only used it a bit in the beginning and that's it. I haven't had any bfing problems luckily, so if I had gotten any of that it would have been a waste. I would just get that stuff if you need if after the baby is born.
If you have leftover Lanolin, try rubbing it into your feet (with socks) at bedtime. It's like magic.

Advertisement

At-home mom of DAK (Oct 2011) and #2 (Oct 2014)
minneapolisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #12
Qylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nipple soothers were amazing for me for days 1-4. The hospital will give them to you. I also used some lanolin for about a week. After your body and your baby get the hang of it then you don't really need it any more.
Qylie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:53 AM   #13
lagoon66
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow, thanks for all the great advice. I guess it makes the most sense to wait and see what happens (and what the hospitals has on-hand - these supplies are expensive!).

On a different note, does anyone use a milk storage container system in their freezer or is that a waste? I was thinking I could just buy cheap plastic containers but people seem to rave about the milk-specific ones you can buy at the store.
lagoon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #14
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessie View Post
Breastfeeding is a learning process for both mom and baby and that learning process can cause rawness and pain till you get to the point where latching is regularly good. There's no way to know if you will have an easy experience or if it will be a learning process. For me, even the second time, the medela gel pads and shields were necessary in the beginning. Mostly this is due to an inverted nipple that is hard to latch onto. Usually the hospitals have these on hand if you need it. If you don't have help in the house or LLL nearby for the first weeks you might want to have one available for just in case.
The bolded is exactly true For us, the only thing I found necessary were some good nursing pads.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:52 AM   #15
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1 View Post
OK we should clear up the nipples shield thing.

There are 2 kinds. One you wear while nursing one you wear at other times.

Now the ones while nursing, these can be used for people with flat or inverted nipples. They are also marketed for sore nipples. I would not use these unless you have a medical need. As mentioned some babies will not nurse without them and they cause your milk supply to drop. I nearly lost my milk using them for flat nipples.

Example:http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

^These are called nipple shields

Type 2 is different you wear them in your bra, this can be to catch milk or form inverted or flat nipples Also marketed to protect sensitive nipples from chaffing on bras. These will not harm your baby or your milk supply.

Example: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

^These are called breast shells
Thanks for the clarification, I added the correct names for each type to your info. Many people get them confused, my DD's doctor did I didn't figure out the difference till later on.
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #16
ammcmaho
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

not necessary for most women. nipple cream may be useful (lanolin if you're using wool covers works well if you don't have a wool allergy) as you both get used to it, but otherwise, ah... not entirely.
Paying for two in child care? An au pair may be cheaper! Great for families who need flexibility!
ammcmaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:12 PM   #17
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used Soothies b/c they were a cooling gel pad that also kept my super sensitive/raw nipples from rubbing in my bra! The Soothies also have Lanolin in them which helps keep your nipples from cracking!
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #18
mom23boys
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolittlebeans View Post
If you get cracked nipples they are good for moist wound healing . I used them off and on while my nipple damage healed and was glad I had them on hand.
ditto - they're the only thing that got me through beginning nursing. Even with baby #4 who was a great nurser from the get-go I still used the pads for the first 3 weeks. They were really a life saver for me but everyone is different!
mom23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #19
nappymaven812
Registered Users

I didn't need it. With my first baby, she latched on well and there was no pain. With my second baby she also latched on correctly but it did hurt for a few days and I still didn't need anything to sooth them. So no it's not nessasary. I was told to express some colostrm form my brest and rub it on my nipple and let dry for soothing. Even that wasn't needed for me. If you do need something I would use lanolin because it's natural and safe for baby.

Last edited by nappymaven812; 07-20-2011 at 09:53 PM.
nappymaven812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:01 AM   #20
A&M'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I haven't ever used a shield. I don't think I even really know how they work lol. But I have used lanolin and soothie gel pads. I used lanolin with both babies and this with dd2 I had trouble getting a good latch and my LC gave me soothies to help heal me up. They were awesome. But don't use lanolin with your soothies because they won't stick right! I probably wouldbt get anything else till you see how it goes. The hospital has lanolin for you if you need some while your there.
A&M'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote