Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:32 PM   #1
ArtyMtnMama
Registered Users
seller

Night nursing ?

It's starting to drive me nuts! But I'm determined to BF as long as possible, she's only 4 months. She doesn't go to bed until10-11pm then she has to nurse to sleep but everytime I try to get up she wakes up and cries, wanting to nurse more. This goes on until 3 am sometimes, other nights not so long. I try to get my artwork done at these late hours but not much luck lately. She no longer needs to eat that much does she? She also doesn't take a solid nap during the day. But she will sleep until noon if I let her. If she were formula fed what would I be doing? Mixing endless bottles? She's not soothed any other way, except on time she found her thumb. But that rarely happens.

Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
ArtyMtnMama
Registered Users
seller

Forgot to mention the main thing thats driving me crazy is the back pain resulting from the marathon night nursing. I do love my time with her.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:06 PM   #3
dknute
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Night nursing ?

It may help your back to nurse her in bed while laying on your side. It certainly won't help you get any artwork done, but you may get more sleep and less back aches!
Old 07-20-2011, 12:18 AM   #4
ollie_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think how much a baby eats, and whether they sleep through the night is different for every baby. I know people that say their BF babies slept through the night at 2 months and know plenty of babies FF and BF that don't STTN at a year old. So I wouldn't say her behavior is abnormal, my DD didn't STTN at that age either so we started co-sleeping so I could get some rest. SHe's 13 months old and we're still co-sleeping and she still nurses at night. It works for us
ollie_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:21 AM   #5
ollie_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also I wanted to add that it did get better, babies get better and more efficient at nursing as they get older, at least mine did, so the hours long nursing sessions were a temporary thing for us
ollie_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #6
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is there any chance you can put her to bed earlier? I do know babies are all different, but unless she's napping at 7 p.m., a 10 or 11 p.m. bedtime is too late for most babies. If she's overtired, she won't be able to sleep as restfully.

Try gradually moving her bedtime up to 7 or 8--or just do it suddenly one night and it might make a huge difference. Babies this age can really only be happy staying awake a maximum of 3 hours--and often much less than that. My 4 month old DS can only manage 45 minutes to an hour and a half--but he's a sleepy guy.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
kgmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Double post
Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum

Last edited by kgmom; 07-20-2011 at 11:52 AM.
kgmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
kgmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
I agree with PP -- I have found at that age there's a window of time around 6:30 - 8:00 where it seems like baby is just really fussy and hungry. What's really happening is they're tired and overstimulated. If I take them up to the quiet dark bedroom and try to nurse them sleep they will settle down for the night. They may still wake up during the night to eat but will settle back down again fairly easily after nursing.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum

Last edited by kgmom; 07-20-2011 at 11:51 AM.
kgmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
rachelanne820
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is almost 4 months old and goes to bed at 930. She is a good sleeper. Wakes up on occasion to nurse but I do nurse laying down and we co-sleep so its really easy. I let her sleep in as this works with our schedule better than early to bed, early to rise.

No tips for getting your work done, but I would def start nursing laying down.