Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2007, 01:16 PM   #1
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
15 month old slapping heads of other kids- advice?

Ethan has started "slapping" kids heads - not hard, but not soft either. I honestly don't think he's doing it to be mean. I think he's trying to "connect" and isn't sure how to go up to a kid and say "hi!". I mentioned this to a friend at Stroller STrides today b/c Ethan bonked her 2yo on the head. I go over and lightly stroke Ella's head and said, "Nice hands Ethan. Gentle hands" but I'mnot sure how else to handle it. Ella's Mom said that her daughter did that too and she felt it was also her way of trying to interact, but not sure how at that age. When I picked him up at the church nursery yesterday, they told me he did alot of hitting. (Great.. I have "that kid" LOL). i mean, he'll do it if a kid takes his toy, and that I an understand and deal with ,but its the random, out of nowhere "bonk" that's suprising me. Any tips to address the issue?

thanks!

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 15 month old slapping heads of other kids- advice?

A boy in my DD's gym class went around pulling her hair for a few months now he learns he gets more interaction with the kids with just a smile.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
2sweetboys
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think you're right....he just doesn't know how to say hi. Maybe you could try showing him how to say hi by offering to share a toy or maybe to touch their arm/hand instead of their head.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I say "gentle hands" and then lightly touch the kid's head or arm (like I'mpetting it) and say, "nice hands. .. Hi Sydney!" . I did tht today- both he and his buddy Syndey (14 months) were taking turns hitting each other's heads from their strollers LOL
Old 04-03-2007, 05:27 PM   #5
Merolu
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mack does that too. We had to start early on taking the initiative and walking him up to a child (or adult or pet) that he knew and take his hand, wave and say "say, 'hi XYZ!' "
If he does smack, he is shown the right way to behave and if it persists we won't allow him to be part of the group til he decides to be nicer.
Ours isn't just not sure of what to do, he's also got a bit of a temper. Our way might not work for you, but it seems to for us!
HTH and good luck.