Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #11
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: 3 month old fighting naps PLEASE HELP!

If she sounds like she is in apin, she could be. Dairy (including chocolate) is usually the main culprit. Try cutting it out for a few days and see of that helps. CIO isn't going to work for an infant. They need to know you are there and they need to feel safe. If she falls asleep in your arms then wakes when you move her you should try to nurse her to sleep in your bed so you can get up without disturbing her. Thats what I have to do with Dd sometimes when she gets cranky. Agreeing with pp about taking more than 2 naps. Dd is 9 months and just started taking 2 instead of 3.
(Tried to catch all the autocorrects on my phone, sorry if i missed some)

Advertisement

I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #12
arhodes728
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Swaddled her and put her in the swing with a paci and she eventually fell asleep! I'm hoping swaddling is the answer for now. She really seems to struggle with waking herself up from so much movement - she's a wiggler and I know they can't really control their movements.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #13
arhodes728
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake
I have found that in a really young baby, that morning nap comes really quickly after waking up in the morning--like within 45 minutes to an hour. If you miss that window, it will be harder to soothe her to sleep and hard for her to stay asleep.

Also, a baby that young will often take short naps--maybe 45 minutes long--and either need to be soothed back to sleep or can get up for a short while (90 minutes) and then go back to sleep. My DD at that age was taking 5 short naps a day. That's a normal variation, though not very convenient for getting anything much done.

Anyway, a baby that age definitely needs 3 naps a day, not just 2.
DD nurses 45 minutes-1 hr after waking. Should I try putting her back down for a nap after she nurses? She usually nods off towards the end of nursing.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:25 PM   #14
NewCDerInCO
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arhodes728 View Post
DD nurses 45 minutes-1 hr after waking. Should I try putting her back down for a nap after she nurses? She usually nods off towards the end of nursing.
I think you answered your own question

Also, it's true that babies under 4 mos are not capable of self-soothing. Even sleep experts (Dr. Weissbluth, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child) don't recommend CIO before 4 mos.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #15
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

Although my personal parenting style doesn't involve CIO, I believe different things work for different people. That being said, my pedi recommended soothing after 5 straight minutes of hard crying (which is a really long time when the baby is crying... I can usually only stand 45 seconds which feels like 5 minutes)!

I have a 3 month old who sometimes resists sleep - when she does this, I simulate her nighttime sleep situation. I also recommend the happiest baby on the block and the 5 s's - swaying, shushing, swaddling, sucking, and side lying.

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #16
arhodes728
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Swaddling for naps and putting her in her Fischer Price rock n play sleeper instead of the crib has helped tremendously! she took 3 naps yesterday each 1.5 hours atleast!
Old 07-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #17
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arhodes728 View Post
Swaddling for naps and putting her in her Fischer Price rock n play sleeper instead of the crib has helped tremendously! she took 3 naps yesterday each 1.5 hours atleast!
Awesome!! I'm just trying to figure out what my DS wants at 2 1/2 months. He seems to like a really long afternoon nap with a short morning one and a short evening one. I would like to be able to count on scheduling, but we'll see what happens. It's hard when you have older kids that want to run around and do stuff, kwim?? I've just been trying to be more consistent and always lay him down in the same conditions- in his crib, with his noise machine on, with the room dark. Previously I was sometimes putting him in our room in the bassinet, sometimes downstairs in the pack n play, sometimes in his room. Since I started being more consistent things are evening out.
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #18
br112
Registered Users

When DS was that little I nursed him to sleep or wore him for naps. I was amazed at how many "standing up" chores I could get done while wearing a baby and moving with him. I also found that he was much easier to get along with when I cut out dairy and caffeine from my diet.

For the record, I'm anti-CIO and I still have a pretty fussy kid. He fights sleep still at 15 months but I've never let him CIO. When he fights sleep and I am exhausted he goes in a wrap and we pace around the house until he relaxes and sleeps. I've become a pro at untying us without waking him.
br112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #19
UnschoolingFamily
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arhodes728
Yay!!!!!
UnschoolingFamily is offline   Reply With Quote