Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2007, 09:36 PM   #1
mommy2alisa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Rash Help...

DD has had a rash for about 3 weeks now and it's just getting worse It started a couple days after she began taking antibiotics for an ear infection. I assumed it was yeast so I took her back to the pediatrician who looked at it and said, "It's not yeast, just a regular diaper rash". I treated it by giving her bum lots of air time and using balmex. The rash continued and started spreading. I had a pharmacist look at it and he too said "it's not yeast, just a reg diaper rash". I don't understand I never leave her in wet diapers and she has never had diaper rash before now. I bought some over the counter antifungel(because I think it is yeast) which I'm using under a heavy layer of balmex to see if that will clear the rash up. I also got a pack of sposies because I don't want to mess up my CD's and because I'm wondering if they could be the cause of the rash?

Advertisement

mommy2alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:41 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Rash Help...

what kind of diapers are you using, she might have an allergy to the material, some babies have a fleece or suede cloth allergy, hope she feels better soon and it goes away quickly
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:46 PM   #3
mommy2alisa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use pockets, prefolds and fitted. I've been using the pockets for 2 months with no rash, could an allergy just now show up?
mommy2alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:48 PM   #4
dbassett
Registered Users

do you have build up? Could it be a reaction to your detergent? A food allergy? Just throwin things out there I hope your LO gets better soon!
I have feedback here of course as well as here
dbassett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:52 PM   #5
DEmomof2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you use tea tree oil in your wipes solution or in your wash? My DD is sensitive to TTO and I was actually making her rash worse by using the wipes on her. I felt awful and it took me a LONG time to realize it. Also, with my DD she tends to be sensitive to fleece when she already has a slight rash and then the fleece irritates it. Maybe yours is too?

Good Luck and I hope you figure it out soon!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:52 PM   #6
Ali
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2alisa View Post
I use pockets, prefolds and fitted. I've been using the pockets for 2 months with no rash, could an allergy just now show up?
Well allergies can pop at any time really, but if you've gone two months w/ no problems it is *probably* not an allergy.

When ds gets a rash I put him in fitteds w/ no cover and change more often since I think it helps to have him in breathable stuff.

My ds got one nasty diaper rash once... it took about a week to go away but once it cleared up it was gone for good. But I noticed that it was once I stopped using our diaper cream that it went away.. instead at my drs direction I used hydrocortison (available OTC) and it worked wonders.

Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:31 AM   #7
Sweetforestcat
Registered Users
seller

Could it be detergent build-up? Synthetic Pocket inners are more susceptible to build-up than more natural fabrics are. Also, it could be TTo as my DS get a horrible rash when we use any amount. Or it could be your baby's sensitivity to acidic foods?

oh, one more thing, does your detergent contain enzymes? It took me 18 months to figure that one out for DS...he would get horrible burn-like rashes and it was because of the detergent I was using.

Maybe if you could tell us what type of detergent you are using and your wash routine we could help you better? Also, descrbe the rash's appearance better..raised, bumpy, dry-peely, bright red, flat etc...

Do you give your baby any nekkid time as this will help tremendously with any rashes. Have you tried limiting acidic food or juices at all? I do hope your baby's rash will get better soon!
Old 04-04-2007, 02:54 AM   #8
Ashwin'sMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: onebumatatime!
seller

My Mood:

Hi! I just had the same exact thing happen and although the pharma may have said it is not yeast, the fact that it started after the antibiotics means it is likely yeast (BTW ours didn't look like "typical" rash either!) Here is what we did - high quality probiotics specially for infants - I gave a double/triple dosage in a dropper at least x2/day...then we used nystatin (with a prescription - it is pretty inexpensive - but ask for ointment not cream as it will stay on your dc's butt better and no need for any other "cream". I bathed him in GSE (grapefruit seed extract, not grapeseed extract) - about 15 drops in bathwater as well as a splash of vinegar (GSE is an antibacterial etc etc and vinegar neut. yeasties), and added both to his wipe water as well. Then I put ds in sposies for about 3 days and just piled on the ointment while stripping his dipes. I stripped with a capful of bleach, Dawn (in case there was ANY buildup), vinegar and GSE (about 30 drops per med load) and added boiling water to the washer from my stove (I do not have pockets, so you may need to check with someone about boiling water and pockets). I did the cold rinse as usual and soak, then I did hot hot hot wash with the above, then another hot wash with a tiny amount of Dawn (I checked for bubbles but there were none so no buildup), then I rinsed probably 3-4 times and then dried everyhting in the dryer on hight for about twice as long as I normally would. The high heat of the water (56 degrees or higher will kill anything) as well as the dryer will kill all yeast. In 3 days he was healed significantly and back in cloth! Oh, and we washed his clothes and sheets the same way, as the yeast has spread to a few spots on his body - so you want to check their body and just out the nystatin on those spots too! Also, if dc has any open breaks in the skin, get a script (again, inexpensive) called Silvasorb or the generic brand - it is actaully a derivative of silver I bealieve and used for healing wounds - I put that on the small breaks in his skin without the nystation (apparently they cancel each other out) and it healed very very fast, and then later i out the nystatin on it!

I HTH!

Tara