Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-21-2011, 07:08 AM   #1
mynde
Registered Users
seller

what do YOU do during a potty pause?

i feel like i should stop offering the potty as it causes a major meltdown lately. but i hate to give it up all together... i think i just need to hear other people's experiences - what have YOU done during a potty pause?

Advertisement

mynde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
sprinkle pocket
Registered Users
seller

Re: what do YOU do during a potty pause?

You could stop offering the potty. Or you could change how/where you do it like offer holding your babe over sink or outside, during an impromptu snack you have stashed and ready, singing,... The main point is to communicate though not how many catches. :-)
As long as your babe knows you're listening, they'll let you know when they're ready. I would just keep cuing because that seems to do wonders! Hope that helps!
We have never really had pauses per we so I just kept going even when getting peed on a lot due to intense teething interrupting their ability to communicate with me.
sprinkle pocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
silvermaille
Registered Users
seller

I let her play in the bathroom with me. She often sits on the potty in her diaper. I also take her outside and let her go diaper free. Lately she hasn't peed while we were out there when her diaper is off. This is for a 16 month old so your situation may be different.

Married to DH for 18 years, Mom to a little miracle queen bee (3/10)
silvermaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did as much diaper-free time as I could when Claire would have a potty strike. I don't think I ever stopped offering altogether; I really felt that consistency was key
Old 07-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 18mo DS has been using the potty to varying degrees of success since 5 months. Lately when he is resistant, we let him choose a book or toy to bring to the potty. That seems to do the trick most of the time.
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
mynde
Registered Users
seller

thank you everyone for your suggestions! today was especially difficult. he is getting 4 teeth all at once and working on standing up and new signs and all kinds of new stuff. pottying is the LAST thing on his mind! so, we really laid back today. if he refused when we offered, we left it. i did take his diaper off tonight before bath for a little while. he looked at me, fussed, held himself and then peed. so, i am glad to see that he IS still aware. i was beginning to wonder! we will just be patient and get back to it after these teeth come in.
mynde is offline   Reply With Quote