Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
EmilyA874
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Another one of those threads! Laundry help please!

I started out using Rockin' Green (because I saw all the raves and what not) but by the time DD was 10 weeks we had stink no matter what I did! We had crazy hard water at our old place (well water) so I thought that must be why, and so I switched to Tide F&G. All was great, no stink, we we're happy. But then about a week into that DD started getting a funny rash, kind of like little red pin pricks all over where the diaper touched. It would come and go. Oh and it would be hardly noticeable in the morning, but worse by the end of the day We were moving so I just figured I'd switch back to Rockin Green once we moved to see if it was the Tide. But I've been using the Rockin Green again for ~2 weeks and we have no rash but have stink again, so I did a wash with the Tide and no stink, but now the rash is back. So I guess my question is, what soap should I try next? She's having a reaction to the Tide F&G obviously, but I don't want stink either so Rockin Green is out. Why is it so hard to just have clean dipes and a rash free baby!? Help please!

Advertisement

EmilyA874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
EmilyA874
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Another one of those threads! Laundry help please!

I'm looking at this right now: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

Has anyone tried that? Or use it?
Old 07-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
buggylovemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lots of mamas like this. Honestly, I would just add some baking soda or washing soda to your wash cycle and then wash on hot a couple of times with no detergent. Rinse, rinse, rinse and see if that helps. You could even try Ecos F&C (walmart has it) and see if that helps. Everyone is going to tell you to try different detergents, etc. But, sometimes washing on hot a couple of times with nothing but washing or baking soda helps us alot!! Also, if these are bleachable fibers-not PUL or TPU, you could try putting a little bleach in your wash cycle, and do the hot water thing and rinsing. Maybe your baby has yeast? My baby would get like that when she was smaller, and it turned out to be a yeast thing from her antibiotic. We bleached her nb prefolds and problem was gone along with any ammonia smells.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Give All free and Clear Small and mighty a try.
gingerpeachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:27 AM   #5
Best Green Things
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

what type of diapers do you use? The manufacturer probably has some specific suggestions, but honestly, I found some diapers are just harder to clean than others. Synthetic fibers tend to hold smells and retain residue more than natural fibers. You could try washing more frequently and adding more rinses, or if you have pockets they might need stripped because of the Tide. Once they are stripped and clear of residue, the rocking green might work just fine. Charlie's soap is what we use, and have never had stink issues, but that's with natural fiber diapers.
Best Green Things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
mummy2lolo
Registered Users
Formerly: cay***ali

Cheer Free & Gentle POWDER, it has enzymes but apparently no brighteners. I just got a box, but haven't tried it yet - we are using Tide Free ATM. I find with Tide Free it takes a lot of rinsing to get it out. I am hoping Cheer Free rinses better. here's a thread on cheer http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...ght=cheer+free

I still think rinsing is key with using commercial detergents to get those enzymes out, I think that is why so many people swore by Original Tide as it rinsed out clean.
mummy2lolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
gabmaxi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Have you tried planet? You could add a little rng to it if you want more oxygen cleaning power. I find that oxy (very similar to rng) alone left my diapers stinky, and tide took too many rinses to get the detergent out, but planet is a good fit for us.
gabmaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
EmilyA874
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We use prefolds and PnP cotton sherpa fitteds with wool (and a few Flip covers now and then). We also have some pockets (sunbaby) that are stuffed with hemp inserts, but they only get used maybe once or twice a week (when DH changes DD). I don't think it is yeast since it went away when we switched to Rockin Green again, and it's not oozy or anything, I'll watch it though. I'd like to avoid using bleach if I can (I hate how bleach smells :ick: )
Is Charlies much different that Rockin Green? I was under the impression they are pretty much the same, just Rockin Green is scented? I don't think we need to strip, our washer was new and we had only ever used Rockin Green (used for clothes and everything) until we had the stink problems with the diapers and then I tried Tide. And the Tide works, but she get's a rash with it which isn't any good.
I don't know why we get stink with Rockin Green
Old 07-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
EmilyA874
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was looking for planet detergent but couldn't find it. I've also looked for Country Save because I've read a lot of people like that. I know it's on Amazon, but that is a huge amount to buy and not have it work, you know? Hannaford (our grocery store) used to carry Planet but they stopped
Old 07-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lots of mamas like the Dropps and can buy it locally. I also really like Country Save, and I can buy it locally too. I hear alot of problems with Tide - i know I had issues. and I also had issues with Rockin Green. gl!