Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
A&M'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pumping at work ?

When you pump at work are you on the clock or do you have to clock out? My boss keeps making me clock off and I feel like it's so stupid that I have to clock off just for a 15 minute break.

Advertisement

A&M'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pumping at work ?

Do people have to clock off when they take a smoke break?

Not attacking smokers or anything, but it always seemed unfair to me when I was working that smokers got extra breaks.
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
A&M'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
That's a really good point! I'm going to tell them that! Because I used to smoke when I first started here and I never had to clock off then...
Old 07-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
SenoraE
Registered Users
seller

If it is an extra break beyond what other people get, or if everyone clocks out for their breaks, then definitely clock out... but if no one clocks out for their break & you're using your time to pump, then I would surely push the issue.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
A&M'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenoraE
If it is an extra break beyond what other people get, or if everyone clocks out for their breaks, then definitely clock out... but if no one clocks out for their break & you're using your time to pump, then I would surely push the issue.
See I work in a hair salon and we are paid hourly. We never had to clock out for smoke breaks or if we want to walk down to the end of the shopping center to get a drink but my manager has been clocking me off when i take a break in the back to pump...

But there isn't really set breaks but when we have spare time we hang out or go get something to drink...

Last edited by A&M'smommy; 07-21-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #6
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

Are there laws to protect you? I'm not sure...

I was able to 'work' while I pumped. Some work, not all.

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
Barbarap
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It may be the issue of you are not available to come back to work easily if needed. It may be viewed that coming back in from smoking or down the block might be quicker than waiting on you to finish pumping.

I personally don't think you should if everyone else is smoking/getting a drink. Good luck.

You might look up the laws before pushing the issue.
Barbarap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #8
Lu&Ce'sMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2Lucas
seller

My Mood:

Nope no one has ever told me to clock out to pump thank goodness.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The new fed law gives you the right to take the pump break, but doesn't say it needs to be paid. My employer won't let me clock out for it, because technically we're allowed 2 breaks (although no one takes them. They had to mandate (and still often remind) that we take lunch breaks. However, the breaks count against me productivity-wise, so I'd rather clock out. It makes it hard for me to prioritize pumping, which has begun to affect my supply, of course.
So I sympathize with you. It's so very hard/complicated to pump when you work full time. Anyone who does it has my utmost respect.
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #10
jenmm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm salary, BUT my boss is a major PITA about my pumping breaks. She'll often leave nasty notes on my computer screen if I take more than 10 minutes. Unfortunately, the lactation room is on the other side of the building and it takes me several minutes to get there. I have to work through my lunch in order to make up my time. The kids have to be dropped off/picked up at daycare at certain times, making my life dictated by the clock.