Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
jessca06
Registered Users
seller
seller

when did you start giving your LO cows milk?

DD is almost 16 months old and BFing but hasn't had any cows milk yet. She has had yogurt and cheese, but no milk. Does she need the cows milk now? When did you start giving your LO cows milk?

Advertisement

jessca06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
SenoraE
Registered Users
seller

Re: when did you start giving your LO cows milk?

DS self weaned around 15 - 16 months, but I had a pretty big freezer supply. When that started to run out I mixed them together to transition. Around 18 months he was drinking whole milk from the store. I think it depends on if your child has weaned yet or not. My assumption would be that she's getting dairy from yogurt and cheese so she wouldn't need cow juice if she's still nursing. I am sure others can give better guidance!
Old 07-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If she is bf she doesn't need cows milk. It is a nutritional replacement for bm, just like formula for babies. I stayed away from ALL dairy for at least 2 years with mine and they have all been very healthy.
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: when did you start giving your LO cows milk?

My oldest tried cows milk around 13 mos, because I was already pregnant with ds2 and ds1 gradually weaned from bf by 17 months. he loves milk and would drink it all day if he could. He drinks skim now.
Ds2 (3 years old) still does not drink cows milk (although dh recently let him try choc milk and of course he liked that!). He does not like plain cows milk. He bf'd until 31 months. He generally just drinks water. He does eat plenty of yogurt and cheese. He will sometimes drink soy, and prefers soy on his cereal.
I think the way I did it with ds2 is fine. I will probably do that again with ds3.
aept is offline   Reply With Quote