Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
gracie1025
Registered Users
seller

Is it always going to be this tough

I am on day 10 of breastfeeding my new baby and I am straight up miserable...

My boobs hurt so bad that I can hardly touch anything. Just putting on a shirt takes work.

My son takes AT LEAST 30 minutes to latch

When he latches, it hurts like heck for the first 30 seconds...every time (LC says latch is ok, that pain is normal).

Breastfeeding is messy. Regardless of the many gadgets I have to collect milk (milkies, breast pads, hydragel pads), I am soaked and baby is soaked every time.

I am so sad because I couldn't really breastfeed with baby 1 (supplemented until month 3), and I want so badly to nurse this baby. Everyone says breastfeeding is so beautiful and wonderful...but this is painful, messy, and frustrating! Will it always be like this? If not, how much longer do I have to tolerate this?

Advertisement

Padded Tush Stats reviews are based on survey responses from many mamas and are sorted based on different baby characteristics (heavy wetter, chunky, etc). Come fill out a quick survey or check out a review! http://www.paddedtushstats.com/
gracie1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Is it always going to be this tough

It gets sooooo much better, mama! Hang in there!

Personally, I noticed things got a bit better at about 2 weeks (DD kind of settled in to nursing better), and then gradually it got easier and easier. Most women say that by 6 or 8 weeks, the hardest part is over.

I leaked for a long time, too, and a lot! But that gets better, too--often around 6 weeks you'll notice a big reduction in leaking, though sometimes earlier.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
Jaci
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mama, I'm so sorry BFing can definitely be a struggle and while some pain is normal, the intense pain for 30 seconds does indicate something is wrong. Have you looked into finding a breastfeeding support group or La Leche League in your area? Often times I find that meeting with a group of women who've been there, done that, helps way better than an LC who may not have even BF'd any kids yet.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
pbb119
Registered Users
seller

I'm sorry you are going through this! Its hard when it is not going smoothly. My experience w/ds 1 and 3 was like that, so painful, to the point where there was even some blood. I lathered on the Lansinoh constantly, also taking warm bath cloths and laying them on you before and after each feeding should help w/the pain. After about a week you should start to feel better.

Are you working w/and LC for latching issues? Have you tried different nursing positions? With dd, I had do the cradle hold to nurse her on one side and the football hold on the other to get her latching correctly. Now at 8 mos, I can hold her however, but it was just figuring out how she needed to be held to get her in the right position.

Good luck! I really hope things get better for you soon!
pbb119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
dolphingirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry to hear that breastfeeding is so painful for you right now! Yes, it can be a bit uncomfortable at first but it really shouldn't hurt so badly every time if your baby is latched on correctly. If possible, I would really suggest seeing another LC (be sure she is an IBCLC-- Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant). Otherwise, or in addition to that, it would be a good idea to find a La Leche League Leader in your area to call and perhaps get together to evaluate your baby's latch.

As far as the soaking wet part, I've experienced that too. It can sometimes be a bit of a messy affair until your milk supply regulates itself. It's always helpful for me in the first couple of months to tuck a small prefold diaper under baby's face/chin to soak up all of the milk that dribbles out and to catch the milk if she pulls off suddenly. I always leak very heavily from the side that's not being nursed on as well, so I've had to use disposable nursing pads (could never find a cloth or wool pad that's absorben enough). Sometimes I'd just use a prefold though to soak up that milk in order to save on nursing pads if I was just at home with my family.

As far as how long it takes. With my first baby, I told myself that I'd stick it out for six weeks, and I have to admit that those weeks were really hard. As determined as I was to breastfeed, I remember nearly giving up several times-- especially in the middle of the night when I had a screaming baby who was clearly hungry yet wouldn't latch on! However, I kept reminding myself of all the reasons why I was breastfeeding. By the time I got to six weeks, it was easier and I told myself I'd stick it out to twelve weeks. Well, by the time I got to twelve weeks, both baby and I had completely gotten the hang of it and there was no way I was going to stop--it had made life so much easier.

Now I'm nursing my fifth baby and it seems that each baby has had its own little nursing personality. Some have been easier to nurse than others. I'm wondering if your baby is taking that long to latch on if there are some issues that might be helped with a chiropractic adjustment by a chiropractor who specializes in working with babies. I know quite a few moms who've had babies who had difficulty latching on and/or had a poor latch who've been helped. Especially if your birth experience was difficult, it can be really helpful, but even babies who were birthed really easily can benefit.

Hope some of this helps!
Kristin

Last edited by dolphingirl; 02-22-2011 at 10:15 PM.
dolphingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #6
gracie1025
Registered Users
seller

Well i met with two lactation consultants at my hospital and they say it is normal as the np is pulling out. They call it toe curling pain and it really is! But u guys have me wondering if i should contact la leche. Thanks for your help. Remind me again...why am i doing this?
Padded Tush Stats reviews are based on survey responses from many mamas and are sorted based on different baby characteristics (heavy wetter, chunky, etc). Come fill out a quick survey or check out a review! http://www.paddedtushstats.com/
gracie1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
alwhitmore
Registered Users
seller

It DOES get better. With DS1 I had no issues after the first couple days however DS2 was another story. He had a hard time latching also. He has a tight frenulum and he gumed my nipples to pieces. It was a messy first few weeks with lots of pain and bleeding. It did get better though and I do have to say that if you stick with it you'll look back and be so glad that you did. GOOD LUCK!

As far as soaking wet goes I have soakes through nursing pads and a few shirts. My milk comes out so fast it sprays everywhere and sometimes has choked my LO. It gets better as your supply levels off.

Last edited by alwhitmore; 02-22-2011 at 10:44 PM.
alwhitmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #8
jenndoxx
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've only nursed one baby (weaned at 14 months) but my first few weeks were rough. My nipples were so raw and sore it was momentarily excruciating when he'd latch on and that pain happened every time he nursed for a week or maybe two. At the time it seemed like forever, in fact it was the week Michael Jackson died, and I swear all that was on tv was Michael Jackson specials and videos and funeral, I'll never forget that (LOL) But the initial pain went away once my nipples healed and got used to their new function and it didn't hurt at all from then on. I found the Medela's Tender Care lanolin nipple cream was much smoother and easier/gentler to apply than the Lansinoh lanolin. Its texture is more like Neosporin and it really helped. For me, the Lansinoh was too thick and it hurt more than it helped.

Good luck, mama! Hang in there

Jenn
Mom to two little boys
jenndoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It WILL get better, mama. It took me and DS a good 2 months to get breastfeeding down. Its not easy, but just remember that it is benefitting both you and your baby, and you're saving money. Stick with it!
Old 02-23-2011, 12:24 AM   #10
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

Agreed! It gets better! The first two weeks are the worst... the first month is still very very hard... I didn't have my milk regulate until about 3 months... but after that, it was a breeze. Once they can latch on their own and you're not leaking all the time and you don't want to scream when you accidentally brush your boob against the wall... yes, it gets better!!

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote