Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-07-2006, 06:23 PM   #1
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Evening Primrose Oil

I know a lot of you mamas have taken (er.. in one way or another) Evening Primrose Oil to help soften the cervix. I talked with my doctor today (36 weeks... whoo!) and he said it was cool either way. He basically said "It's not proven.. but it won't hurt you or the baby"...

My question is: what were your experiences taking it? How did you take it? And... erm... how does one use it vaginally? If it's TMI you can just PM me... I was raised in a very "biologically-sound" family where we talk about things as they are... there's no shame in the correct terms.

Also.. I've heard of another suppliment called 5W... or 5M... or something like that... anyone got any ideas? Basically I'm ready to get this wagon rolling and willing to do what I need to do (oh good grief... sex at 9 months.. ugh...) to help things along.

Any other homeopathic suggestions are more than welcome as well. We live out in the country (with a few crunchies thrown in for good measure) so we don't have any acupuncturists... but any herbal suppliment suggestions to help get this party started are greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:36 PM   #2
CourtneyinAlaska
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Evening Primrose Oil

It's been nearly a year so hopefully I remember correctly. I took EPO orally and vaginally. Vaginally I inserted 2 gelcaps up by my cervix before bed. Make sure you wear a liner to bed cause it might leak a bit. I drank red raspberry leaf tea. When I hit 39 weeks I had my ob strip my membranes and again on my due date. Over due I drank caster oil (didnt help at all), tried the breast pump (nipple stim) ate spicy foods and got accupuncture.

In the end he was 4 days late. The EPO made my cervix "mushy" the midwife said. I honestly think it was the accupuncture that worked as I was in labor less than 24hrs later.

I wouldnt reccomend trying anthing drastic (accupuncture, nip stim, caster oil) until you are at least 39 weeks. IMO.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:06 PM   #3
Radish4ever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also inserted EPO vaginally - kind of like a suppository up there... Do wear the liner because you will probably have "gel like" discharge which is the gel capsule that didn't absorb

I took 5W as recommended on the bottle..........

I also tried nipple stim and sex to get labor going (but didn't do nipple stimulation until my actual labor started "stalling")........ I also took red raspberry leaf capsules daily (I don't drink tea - ever. LOL) and it was something like 6 or 8 a day.........

Good luck!
Radish4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:12 PM   #4
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I used w/both pregnancies. I guess it's supposed to have prosteglans or whatever like in sperm. Anyway, we'd BD & then I'd put a few up there "for good measure" LOL & I'd always do it like right before bed so I'd be laying down anyway. By the time I got up to pee in the night they'd be long dissolved but you may spring a leak LOL
Old 06-07-2006, 08:18 PM   #5
Merolu
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used it to the end of my second pregnancy because my first never began labor or dilated even after my water broke. I wanted to avoid that if possible, so I used EPO both vaginally ( I pricked the capsule, inserted it up directly on the cervix and wore a pantyliner) and I took them orally daily for the last two weeks. I used it because it's worked for other moms I know to soften and prepare the cervix for dilation but it won't do a darn thing unless your body is ready for it. Safer that way. I went into natural labor and dilated fully. Worked for me, I'll be using it again next time!
Merolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:46 PM   #6
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

What exactly is 5W? Where did you get it at (national chain of something?)

How about red raspberry leaf capsules? I'm not a huge tea-drinker either... I just forget!

So.... the bottle of EPO says to take it three times a day.. once with each meal.... should I just take it twice and use it vaginally at night... or is that too much?

Thanks so much for the advice.... I'm just now getting into the wide world of homeopathic remedies.... I love it so far!
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:39 AM   #7
bethanyjoy
Registered Users

I took EPO orally when I was 5 days late with DS2, labour started before I could insert capsules at bedtime that night. I think I was probably just ready to go.

I'd definitely take it orally, if nothing else, it's good for your skin. And inserting the capsules for good measure wouldn't hurt at all...I think it's more of a preparing-for-labour thing than an inducer.

DTD is good...if you can, go to the bookstore and pick up a copy of "Hot Mama" by Lou Paget It's all specific to pregnancy.

Other than that...stay well hydrated (dehydration will cause lots of braxton hicks, but that only wears you out and gets you frustrated), eat really well, sleep as much as possible. Get everything ready for the birth, cook meals for the freezer...anything you can do to relax and get rid of stress/anxiety is great too, I've learned the hard way that negative emotions really can slow down labour.

Oh, and I've heard (but not tried) that using Clary Sage EO in a diffuser can help trigger contractions. Sure wouldn't hurt!
Old 06-08-2006, 09:35 AM   #8
Radish4ever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I found Red Raspberry Leaf capsule and the 5W at our local health food store - you might call around about the 5W - not all places regularly carry that.
Radish4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:40 AM   #9
LilHippyMamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never got around to trying that one, heard some good things though
Old 06-08-2006, 10:28 AM   #10
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Yup, I did the EPO as well, starting at about 36 weeks and that greatly softened my cervix by 39 weeks I was ready to have my membranes swept I went into labor EARLY for a change and that has NEVER happened before! Wahoo!

Like somebody else said, insert 2 before bed, wear that liner to bed and in the morning! And lay down right after otherwise they will slip out. Also, take them throughout the day.