Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
IslaRose
Registered Users

Please explain the concern about bleach and microfiber...?

I'm new to cloth and still learning.

Please explain to me why some mamas don't like using bleach or bleached products (I know it's a harsh chemical but doesn't it rinse out well?)

and

What are the issues/concerns with microfiber?

Thanks!

Advertisement

IslaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
KimA
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please explain the concern about bleach and microfiber...?

Bleach is a nasty chemical and it pollutes the environment. A lot of moms don't use it fir those reasons. I don't ever recommend the use of bleach, commercial detergents, or additives like Calgon that contain phosphates, that is just me though. I have done enough research to know how damaging these products are to our environment.

Microfiber is difficult to get clean and is notorious for developing stink and repelling. Some babies are sensitive or allergic to it.

In my opinion natural fibers like cotton, hemp and bamboo are the best for cloth diapering.
KimA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
MrsA08
Registered Users
seller

I am actually on the bleach wagon. I feel like if you are going to be reusing something that can harbor bacteria you need a cleaning agent that is powerful enough to get that bacteria out. I don't use bleach a lot, but about once a month all of my inserts are bleached.

I have all microfiber inserts. I think what people dislike about them is that they do tend to get stinky after use, but as previously mentioned, bleach seems to take care of this with no problem.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
SarahR.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I've resorted to bleach too since I have tried other things and nothing was working to get the stink out without a long and tedious wash and rinse routine. I figure it's better than the alternative, using disposables.

I do a lot of Eco friendly things but being able to put a clean diaper on my baby's bottom is important and if that means using bleach then so be it.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 07-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
adahsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think that most of the environmental concerns about bleach are more about industrial bleach (like of paper and other products). I've never seen anything that shows that household use of bleach is an environmental concern.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Microfiber can be hard to clean, particularly if you have hard water.

As far as bleach goes, it is a pretty harsh cleaning agent... Many mamas have little ones who are sensitive to it, too. But other mamas find it necessary to effectively clean their diapers.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsA08 View Post
I am actually on the bleach wagon. I feel like if you are going to be reusing something that can harbor bacteria you need a cleaning agent that is powerful enough to get that bacteria out. I don't use bleach a lot, but about once a month all of my inserts are bleached.

I have all microfiber inserts. I think what people dislike about them is that they do tend to get stinky after use, but as previously mentioned, bleach seems to take care of this with no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahR. View Post
I've resorted to bleach too since I have tried other things and nothing was working to get the stink out without a long and tedious wash and rinse routine. I figure it's better than the alternative, using disposables.

I do a lot of Eco friendly things but being able to put a clean diaper on my baby's bottom is important and if that means using bleach then so be it.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

all my inserts are microfiber,cloth, & hemp i also use bleach on them as needed for the same reasons as above. i mostly use cleaners that r all naturall but bleach is one of the few i found that is still needed @ times.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
Mommax2in2006
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Im on the bleach wagon too, I dont use it much maybe once a month but when i do i only use 1/4 cup in the wash and then extra rinses, however my cloth smells MUCH noticably cleaner IMO... I use a combo of Microfiber, Flats, Prefolds, Hemp and Bamboo
Old 07-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
Mama2GBGB08
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use bleach every now and then, especially on my mf inserts. Or if there has been yeast or a stomach virus, or if I just plain feel like it lol. I've been cd'ing for 4 years and never had bleach ruin my diapers. I wash with Tide (full scoop!) and use bleach. And no horrid ammonia smell that burns my eyelashes off.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #10
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

From what I have read household bleach at it's lower concentrations is generally pretty safe. The use of phosphates in detergents sold for residential has been banned since 1993. I would not use bleach for every single wash simply because I find it unnecessary but I think some people believe even a little might hurt their diapers.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote