Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Mama2LilBit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
*updated 1st post* and another question - OMG, cannot get rid of "old stink"

This is exactly what it sounds like. I bought some AIOs from FSOT (thank goodness I was buying ahead and my DD doesn't need them yet), and they have got the most god-awful, old poop/pee stench that I am seriously doing laundry rehab on, and making VERY little progress.

They have suedecloth lining and a cotton sherpa soaker (no microfiber).

Here's what I have done already, in addition to just throwing them in with almost every load of diaper laundry to just keep washing them:
1. Bleach in the regular hot wash w/ detergent - this took care of the "knock me out" stench that they had coming out of the poly mailer

2. Couple hour soak in the bathtub in hot water and oxyclean, then washed w/ regular wash routine - seemed to help a little more - they still smelled yucky while wet when I put my face near them

3. Last night, I soaked them in the washing machine over night (more than 12 hours) in a boatload of oxyclean and hot water - then rinsed a bunch and put through another regular diaper wash. Now they don't smell yucky when wet, but they are about halfway dry now and they are still stinky, especially when I "pull apart" the layers of the inner soaker - it's kind of stiff and crunchy - you can almost feel all the old nasty crud in there

I am pretty sure I will only buy from tide-users from now on (I use tide F&G and am very happy with it ) - all the tide dipes I buy smell like tide when I get them, and the scent eventually goes away - I can tell these things were washed in some crappy "safe" detergent.

I am making SOME progress, but am not sure if these will ever be usable. Please offer your best suggestions! I am not opposed to very aggressive measures (I heart bleach and harsh detergent!).

Only one condition - I wanted to do an OxyVin soak (I'm sure some of you have read that thread), but I think it's got some fumes, and my laundry room is on the 2nd floor of my house in a hallway closet, so it's not really ventilated - so I think that's out for now.

Thanks mama's!

UPDATE
so last night, I poured probably about 2 cups of bleach in the washer with enough hot water to cover the diapers and allow for some swishing around, let it agitate for a minute or so, then went to bed. They probably soaked for about 7 hours, then I ran them through a few rinse cycles. Now they don't stink, BUT they are still wet, and I put them out to sun on the deck.

I noticed, however, that the PUL inside the pocket now has a brown tint to it - I'm guessing discoloration from soaking in bleach - has anyone had this happen, and has it caused any problems?

If this doesn't work, next I'll try a bac-out soak as suggested by Evolution Diapers (below). *fingers crossed*

Advertisement

Last edited by Mama2LilBit; 07-25-2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: updated
Mama2LilBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
crumpetmlp
Registered Users
seller

The only thing that has ever worked for me completely - not with just diapers, but anything (even an ikea ektorp couch cover I bought that wreaked like rotten eggs) is water at least 140 degrees- usually the sanitary cycle if you have one. And I use regular tide with it, and vinegar for the rinse instead of fabric softener. I run another rinse cycle with fabric softener just because (Ecover)
Old 07-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
mebl0901
Registered Users
seller

Re: OMG, cannot get rid of "old stink"

I don't really have any suggestions just curious how the mama that sold them to your listed their condition? I would be TICKED if I got some diapers that were that nasty and I wasn't expecting them to be. If she didn't acknowledge their stench, have you contacted her over it? I would be doing some follow up there. I'm sorry, mama.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
SarahR.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Try the bleach wash again but let it soak a little first. Do lots of plain water rinses and put a cup of white vinegar in one of the rinse cycles. Then sun them all day.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 07-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
Mama2LilBit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebl0901 View Post
I don't really have any suggestions just curious how the mama that sold them to your listed their condition? I would be TICKED if I got some diapers that were that nasty and I wasn't expecting them to be. If she didn't acknowledge their stench, have you contacted her over it? I would be doing some follow up there. I'm sorry, mama.
Thanks mama. I think they were listed VGUC. Pics were posted and they looked fine, but there was no mention of the stench. I never did say anything (though now I'm thinking I should have) because I figured that smell is so subjective anyway, and what I think is stinky may not smell so offensive to someone else, especially if they are used to a crappy laundry outcome that is smells normal to them, KWIM? Also, I kind of pride myself on being able to deal with laundry, so I thought I'd be able to take care of it anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahR. View Post
Try the bleach wash again but let it soak a little first. Do lots of plain water rinses and put a cup of white vinegar in one of the rinse cycles. Then sun them all day.

I was thinking that a bleach soak would probably be my next step - how long do you think would be adequate? Not sure if I should try overnight, or just a few hours . . .
Old 07-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
JnS Mama
Registered Users
seller

I'd do overnight.

The only thing I've found that gets rid of that smell is to use bleach and vinegar. But you have to do it in a closed washing machine due to the fumes. Making the environment more acidic lets the bleach work longer.

I'm wondering if it's less the bugs that eat the ammonia versus the ammonia crystals themselves? Do you have a He washing machine? If so, all the washing won't help. You need to add extra water to your washer.

Ami
Old 07-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
Mama2LilBit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnS Mama View Post
I'd do overnight.

The only thing I've found that gets rid of that smell is to use bleach and vinegar. But you have to do it in a closed washing machine due to the fumes. Making the environment more acidic lets the bleach work longer.

I'm wondering if it's less the bugs that eat the ammonia versus the ammonia crystals themselves? Do you have a He washing machine? If so, all the washing won't help. You need to add extra water to your washer.

Ami
I kind of thought the same thing, since the soakers feel kind of crunchy still. And nope, I don't have a HE machine, I have a nice big ole TL - at least I have that going for me!

How much bleach and vinegar would you suggest for the overnight soak?
Old 07-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #8
Mamata3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouuld try and use double the amount of tide in a load see how that works, maybe that will help you.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
SarahR.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I soaked my microfiber inserts over night recently and they don't even have a hint of pee left. I wad dealing with pee smell and some ammonia.

I used about a cup of bleach and 2 1/2 gallons of water. I also now have bright white inserts again instead if dull gray and dingy.

I've also done several boiling water treatments in the past to get rid of old soap and pee smell from laundry experiments going wrong lol. Not quite as effective as bleach but it's a close second.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #10
luvnmyboys
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2muncher
seller
seller

My Mood:

how about an oxyvin soak outside? that eliminates the fumes. otherwise, i'd try bleach again.
luvnmyboys is offline   Reply With Quote