Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #11
Mama2LilBit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: OMG, cannot get rid of "old stink"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnmyboys View Post
how about an oxyvin soak outside? that eliminates the fumes. otherwise, i'd try bleach again.
lol I didn't even think about going outside

I am going to do an overnight bleach soak tonight, and if that doesn't work I think I'll be breaking out a big bucket for an outdoor oxyvin soak tomorrow

Thanks for the tips mama's! *fingers crossed* that this takes care of it

Advertisement

Mama2LilBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #12
ma-meem
Registered Users
Formerly: ecoMama2b
seller

The only detergent (and I've used soooooo many) that works at all for me is Tide Original Powder...and if you can, do half dry in the dryer and half dry in the sun...not sure if it's the same where you are, but the sun and outside air here makes my cd smell way better than dryer alone. good luck!!!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #13
homeschoolkitty
Registered Users
seller

my laundry is close to the bedrooms too. by the way there are no fumes on the vin oxy treatment. if there is something coming out is oxygen as oxyclean is nothing but hydrogen peroxide. I tried it twice in my washer. 1 bottle of vinager. a lot of oxy and filled w/hot. then let overnight. in the AM it should still be hot. then rinse and wash as normal. people that put too much get a big fizzz...wich is oxygen being released. I can't remember how much oxy to tell u the truth. I have like new diapers now.
homeschoolkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #14
Evolution Diapers
Registered Users
Formerly: goddess3_2005
seller

Any type of urine from mammals, whether it is human or pet urine, contains uric acid crystals, which can only be removed by using an enzyme based cleaning product. Traditional products involving soap and strong chemicals aren’t able to work because they do not break down the uric acid crystals. The only permanent method of removing urine odor and stains is by using products specifically designed to bind with and destroy the uric acid. This is exactly how our enzyme based cleaners work.

The enzyme products that really work are those that have the correct combination of enzymes and other ingredients to destroy the uric acid crystals and at the same time eliminate the bacteria surrounding the urine which causes the odor. The enzymes are applied to the stain in a liquid form and take the same path that the urine would have taken originally.

What you are going to need to do is get an enzyme cleaner, BacOut or Tide Sport, or even one of the pet cleaners that they sell for pet messes at the pet store. Soak your diaper over night in this. Then to kill the bacteria soak in 1/2 and 1/2 water and Hydrogen Peroxide. Its less chemicals and should do the trick.

OS AI2 Hybrid and Pocket Diaperswww.evolutiondiapers.comThe revolution continues! Check out the E2 the Worlds First Cloth Diaper with fully adjustable gussets!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYpXC3UvJU8
Evolution Diapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #15
Mama2LilBit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for this info - it totally makes sense. I already did a bleach soak last night (see updated post #1) and the diapers are sunning now, but if they are still smelly, I have some bac-out I can use next

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution Diapers View Post
Any type of urine from mammals, whether it is human or pet urine, contains uric acid crystals, which can only be removed by using an enzyme based cleaning product. Traditional products involving soap and strong chemicals arenít able to work because they do not break down the uric acid crystals. The only permanent method of removing urine odor and stains is by using products specifically designed to bind with and destroy the uric acid. This is exactly how our enzyme based cleaners work.

The enzyme products that really work are those that have the correct combination of enzymes and other ingredients to destroy the uric acid crystals and at the same time eliminate the bacteria surrounding the urine which causes the odor. The enzymes are applied to the stain in a liquid form and take the same path that the urine would have taken originally.

What you are going to need to do is get an enzyme cleaner, BacOut or Tide Sport, or even one of the pet cleaners that they sell for pet messes at the pet store. Soak your diaper over night in this. Then to kill the bacteria soak in 1/2 and 1/2 water and Hydrogen Peroxide. Its less chemicals and should do the trick.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #16
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: *updated 1st post* and another question - OMG, cannot get rid of "old stink"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2LilBit View Post

UPDATE
so last night, I poured probably about 2 cups of bleach in the washer with enough hot water to cover the diapers and allow for some swishing around, let it agitater for a minute or so, then went to bed. They probably soaked for about 7 hours, then I ran them through a few rinse cycles. Now they don't stink, BUT they are still wet, and I put them out to sun on the deck.

I noticed, however, that the PUL inside the pocket now has a brown tint to it - I'm guessing discoloration from soaking in bleach - has anyone had this happen, and has it caused any problems?

If this doesn't work, next I'll try a bac-out soak as suggested by Evolution Diapers (below). *fingers crossed*
Oh no! I think you may have bleached the life out of the diapers. That much bleach with such a small amount of water and soaking that long may have ruined the PUL. But I hope it didn't! Does the PUL still look normal but just discolored? Like not wrinkled or puckery? Are any of your white diapers looking a little brown as well? I have heard the Bleach can attract iron from water, so if you have really hard water with iron in it maybe that could have caused the discoloration?

After the diapers are dry, check and see if the PUL still feels normal. If it feels and looks normal except for the discoloration, then maybe it was just iron in your water.

I hope your diapers are okay, mama!
Old 07-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #17
Mama2LilBit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: *updated 1st post* and another question - OMG, cannot get rid of "old stink"

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_just_me View Post
Oh no! I think you may have bleached the life out of the diapers. That much bleach with such a small amount of water and soaking that long may have ruined the PUL. But I hope it didn't! Does the PUL still look normal but just discolored? Like not wrinkled or puckery? Are any of your white diapers looking a little brown as well? I have heard the Bleach can attract iron from water, so if you have really hard water with iron in it maybe that could have caused the discoloration?

After the diapers are dry, check and see if the PUL still feels normal. If it feels and looks normal except for the discoloration, then maybe it was just iron in your water.

I hope your diapers are okay, mama!
I hope they are okay, too! The PUL does still look normal - no puckering or wrinkling at all, actually. I am going to try one on my toddler DS later to see if they are still waterproof. Unfortunately, they were so stinky before that I wouldn't have ever used them anyway, so I guess if I ruin them trying to make them usable, I'm not really out anything, KWIM?

Maybe it is just the iron/bleach in the water - we do have hard water around here. Hmmm . .
Old 07-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #18
Anna.Loves.Toast
Registered Users

What brand of diapers are these? I'm having the same problem with some FB I got off here about 2 months ago. I could smell the pee without even opening the package After I opened them, I had to take the package outside, where they sat until about 3 weeks ago. I washed with Tide/hot water with an extra rinse. Still stink. Washed again with Sun (out of tide), oxyclean and threw them in the sun to dry. Smelled fine right out of the sun, but the next day stink was back. I have some bleach, but I'm scared to use too much, so I haven't tried it yet.
Anna.Loves.Toast is offline   Reply With Quote