Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-04-2007, 11:55 AM   #1
SarieQ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
HELP! My 21m old REFUSES to wean from her bottle!

I had to wean my daughter Evelyn from breastfeeding when she was 6m old because I lost my supply due to another pregnancy. She has been attached to her bottle since then. I tried getting her to use a sippy cup when she was around 9m but she refused it then and has refused sippy cups of all sorts and shapes and sizes and colours (she even turns her nose up at her Klean Kanteen!) She still isn't a big eater so she moreorless subsists off of organic soy milk, so her milk intake is a BIG DEAL to her. She carries her bottle around everywhere and uses it as a lovey. My mother and sister visited us a month ago and we all really made an effort to get her off the bottle. We offered her sippy cups of milk, cups with straws, etc. but she refused them all and became really upset. After 7 or 8 hours of her not drinking anything my husband and I decided it was absolutely ridiculous and she was going to become dehydrated (we live in Florida!) and it was time to throw the towel in. I'm at a loss as to what to do and I feel really badly about it. Ideally, she'd still be nursing! It's really becoming a messy problem -- she drops the bottle and milk splatters everywhere. She sleeps with a bottle of water at night and rolls over on top of it and it soaks her clothes and wakes her up. Anyone been through this? Advice?

Thanks!

Advertisement

SarieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:21 PM   #2
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: HELP! My 21m old REFUSES to wean from her bottle!

Ds is 23m and still on a bottle...but we have NEVER put him to bed w/ 1. He usually has 1 when he 1st gets up (if he wants), 1 before naptime and 1 before bedtime, *maybe* 1 throughout the night, but as I said we have never put him to bed with 1
Old 04-04-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
SarieQ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She takes a bottle of water to bed. I'd let her take a sippy cup of water if she wanted.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarieQ View Post
She takes a bottle of water to bed. I'd let her take a sippy cup of water if she wanted.
yeah see ds only drinks water out of his cup, and he doesnt take it to bed, never has, and its not something Im going to start
Old 04-04-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
smielebehappyjennifer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Something that I heard works (this is second hand since my kids never were into a bottle much since they went straight from BF to sippys) only give her water in her bottle and give her milk, juice whatever she really likes to drink in a sippy. That way it is her decision. Then when she has shown that she will drink from a sippy throw all bottles away (or give them to someone that you can't get them back easily in a moment of frustration). I'm sure it can be frustrating but at that age she is capable of drinking from a sippy. We like the nubby soft spout for using at first since it is soft. Plus it is really cheap at Walmart. Good luck

Another idea is cut the end of the nipple off. I did that with binky's at it worked so it might be worth a try.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd was just about that age just before my second was born, and we wanted her to be done with the bottle before her sister was born. (I weaned her to a bottle at 12 months - I won't do that again! But anyway...) I started slowly with offering the bottle of milk before bed, but she couldn't take it in with her. If she didn't drink it, she didn't get it. We slowly moved that up to after dinner and just offered a sippy with water at bedtime. Same with naps - offered a sippy with milk before naps - if she didn't take it, she didn't get any. This was met with tantrums for a few days, but over the course of a couple weeks, she began to take the sippy with milk at meals and the sippy with water at bedtime. It is difficult, but worth it in the end. In a few months she won't remember it, and everything will be a lot cleaner. (I remember the dribbled milk! )
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:27 PM   #7
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had good luck with the Nuby sippys with the silicon soft spouts. My ds refused and hard sippys.
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:47 PM   #8
balthahm
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd just gave up her bottles about 2 months ago! She'll be 3 in June!

She still drinks her milk in a Nuby, and has always had other beverages in a sippy since she was 5 months old, but that milk bottle wasn't going anywhere! I called it our 'dirty little secret' because she never had one in public, but she needed that when she was on the edge at home. BUT here's what worked for us -
We told her that baby LAMBS need bottles sometimes (she's a big animal lover). I found some pictures of lambs drinking from bottles online. Big hit. So one day she woke up and I asked her if she was ready to give the bottles to the baby lambs. Worked like a charm! She even boxed them up, and we wrote an address on the box. When she went upstairs later that afternoon, I pretended that the UPS guy picked them up! She was so proud of sending the bottles to the baby lambs!
She only asked for them a few times, and each time I reminded her that the lambs needed them and she was ok.

Last edited by balthahm; 04-04-2007 at 03:48 PM.
balthahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
SarieQ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthahm View Post
My dd just gave up her bottles about 2 months ago! She'll be 3 in June!

She still drinks her milk in a Nuby, and has always had other beverages in a sippy since she was 5 months old, but that milk bottle wasn't going anywhere! I called it our 'dirty little secret' because she never had one in public, but she needed that when she was on the edge at home. BUT here's what worked for us -
We told her that baby LAMBS need bottles sometimes (she's a big animal lover). I found some pictures of lambs drinking from bottles online. Big hit. So one day she woke up and I asked her if she was ready to give the bottles to the baby lambs. Worked like a charm! She even boxed them up, and we wrote an address on the box. When she went upstairs later that afternoon, I pretended that the UPS guy picked them up! She was so proud of sending the bottles to the baby lambs!
She only asked for them a few times, and each time I reminded her that the lambs needed them and she was ok.
That is so hilarious! Unfortunately my 21m old doesn't yet have the cognitive ability to process baby lambs and bottles.

The frustrating thing with Evelyn is that she doesn't care about juice, etc. at all! She turns her nose up at juice because it comes in a sippy. I wish my daughter would drink more water, but I'm not about to start offering her bottles of water during the day. It would only reinforce my problem, I think!
Old 04-04-2007, 04:01 PM   #10
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

You and I could write a chapter of the same book. She uses other sippys for water and juice, but will not drink milk from anything but a bottle. She's 18 months and she never goes to bed with one either.

Sigh. Oh yeah, she hates those soft nubby things from Walmart as well.