Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-04-2007, 05:31 PM   #11
GoddessWifeMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: HELP! My 21m old REFUSES to wean from her bottle!

My DD is 20 mns and she still has 2 bottles during the day of milk, when she gets up and before bed and the occasional one after her nap.

But she also will drink from a cup or sippy, she LOVES her sippys. She will take milk from a sippy instead of a bottle.

I don't know what to suggest Mama I can totally understand the wish that she would drink from something other than a bottle, even just a little bit we've been there.

I think your DD sounds like one of those kids that will only do things when they are good and ready, I'm not sure that it's really something to worry about that much right now she's still young. Our Dr. said they much prefer a child to have a bottle over a pacifier, the only thing I do know is that they seem to not like the bottle in the bed but it might be different because your DD only has water to bed.

I would just keep trying even though it frustrating, it seems like you've done this but try EVERY sippy you can.

Does she drink from Avent bottles?? I know you can get a sippy attachment thingy for the Avent bottles that's supposed to work well with transitioning because they often don't realize it's a different thing.

If you do use those that might be worth a try. Or maybe your brand has something similar.

Hope you get it figured out.

Advertisement

Old 04-05-2007, 04:05 PM   #12
SarieQ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She uses the Playtex Airflow bottles. I'm not sure how attached to that model she is at this point. I'll have to see. Thanks for the advice!
SarieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:52 PM   #13
milehighmonkeys
Registered Users
Formerly: ultconsumer

DD had a bottle for a while, too and refused a sippy cup as long as there was a bottle. The bottles all disappeared at the same time and she had no choice but to use the sippy cup. It was much more stressful for me than it was for her. I guess I thought she'd never drink anything again. That didn't happen. If I remember correctly, she refused a drink for breakfast and for her mid-morning snack, but by lunch time she was ready to use the sippy.

ETA: We tried almost EVERY sippy cup out there and had the best luck with the "take n toss". I think it's made by First Years.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:27 PM   #14
jlkhorn
Registered Users
seller

I'm a bf'er so I've never had bottle issues, but our bf weaning story may help you. When dd was 28 months I wanted to finally wean her from her last 2 feedings a day. SO we had a "No More Boobies" party. We really talked it up the week before and she was so excited about it. She got to choose the theme (DIsney Princesses, of course). My parents and my sister's family came over, we ate cake, sang "No More Boobies For You" to the tune of Happy Birthday, and she got a couple small gifts (baby doll, hair barrettes, small toy...) That night at bedtime she asked to nurse and it was hard, but we just kept reminding her about the party and her new gifts. Same thing happened in the morning. (those were the only 2 times she nursed) Day 2 was fine. She understood and we replaced nursing with back scratching and cuddling, to this day even. Silly as it all was, it worked. You may have luck with something like this.

My only other suggestion is you could let her "buy" some new sippy cups that she picks out and pay with her bottles. Good Luck!!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 11:40 PM   #15
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read the other responses but here is my opinion. Let her have the bottle. She is showing you she is not ready for a transition yet. The bigger of a deal you make of it the more she will cling to it. Ignore the bottle all together. Don't talk about it and deal with it in a matter-of-fact way. In the meantime you can try to introduce another lovey to her if you think she would like one. Maybe a stuffed animal of sorts. Then later (give it at least a couple of months) you can try to limit bottle use to when and where. For example, you can only have your bottle when you sit in a chair, or when you lay down, etc. You will just need to repeat and repeat. When she is walking around holding the bottle you can say "we only have our bottles when we drink at our chair" and be firm but loving. I don't think she is ready for this yet though, give it awhile.

Then, once you have the bottle in the chair (or wherever) thing going down you can look for signs of her being ready for a big cup. You can take her to the store and let her pick out her own cup and put it on a shelf she has access to. Leave it there and let her choose when she wants to use it, don't nag her about it.

Anyway, just remember she *will* outgrow this and she is just showing you that she's not ready for the transition yet.

Hmmm, I guess I missed that part about the mess and whatnot and the spilling bottle. Maybe it is time to limit where it can be used all ready. And for bedtime I'm not sure. Maybe get a bottle that has a lid and show her how to put it on when she's not drinking it.

Last edited by camdensmommy; 04-05-2007 at 11:44 PM.
camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:19 AM   #16
SarieQ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The limiting where she can have the bottle is a good idea. We've never done that before. As soon as she started walking she started carrying the bottle with her everywhere, and we thought nothing of it. Won't make that mistake again!

I will go out today after our area's La Leche League meeting and look for straw sippy cups and Avent bottles. Hope they work!
SarieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:39 PM   #17
usandthegirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarieQ View Post
I had to wean my daughter Evelyn from breastfeeding when she was 6m old because I lost my supply due to another pregnancy. She has been attached to her bottle since then. I tried getting her to use a sippy cup when she was around 9m but she refused it then and has refused sippy cups of all sorts and shapes and sizes and colours (she even turns her nose up at her Klean Kanteen!) She still isn't a big eater so she moreorless subsists off of organic soy milk, so her milk intake is a BIG DEAL to her. She carries her bottle around everywhere and uses it as a lovey. My mother and sister visited us a month ago and we all really made an effort to get her off the bottle. We offered her sippy cups of milk, cups with straws, etc. but she refused them all and became really upset. After 7 or 8 hours of her not drinking anything my husband and I decided it was absolutely ridiculous and she was going to become dehydrated (we live in Florida!) and it was time to throw the towel in. I'm at a loss as to what to do and I feel really badly about it. Ideally, she'd still be nursing! It's really becoming a messy problem -- she drops the bottle and milk splatters everywhere. She sleeps with a bottle of water at night and rolls over on top of it and it soaks her clothes and wakes her up. Anyone been through this? Advice?

Thanks!
I am dealing with the same thing. DD (28 mos) still drinks a bottle. She drinks one in the morning, naptime and at bedtime. That's it, no walking around with it or anything. I really want her to give it up but she isn't ready. The only thing it's hurting is that it drives me crazy She really likes it, doesn't want her milk at those times in a sippy (which is just like a bottle IMO) so I let it go. I figure she will get rid of it when she's ready. I can't handle the battles right now!

I look at it like this: If Brenna is still nursing at 28 mos (I hope she is) I won't push her to wean...So I am cutting Macie some slack for that reason. She must have some need for the comfort of it. I just wish I could be giving it to her instead of the stinking bottle!
Old 04-06-2007, 11:03 PM   #18
CookClanMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the PP who said let her have the bottle. She is still a baby, & as long as it isn't affecting her teeth or diet, it should be a non-issue. She will let you know when she is ready to give it up. In the meantime, work on giving her water in the bottle some instead of only milk. That way, her teeth won't be in danger. Also, limit her to only having the bottle at nap/bedtimes or something of that nature. Don't let her carry it around with her & it won't be such a security object for her. I understand the problem with the mess, but there are some bottles that you can buy at Walmart with leak-proof silicone nipples. I believe that a child should decide (for the most part) when he weans from the bottle the same way he should when he weans from the breast. Don't push her-she'll be all grown up soon enough!
CookClanMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #19
chameleon607
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son is 18 months and we are in the process of weaning from the bottles. He hasn't had a bottle in 2 days (I'm jumping for joy), but that said, it was NOT FUN. We had the tantrums and the screaming.... He went from having 3-4 bottles a day (formula) down to 2, down to 1 over the process of a week and a half- and that last bottle was the hardest for him to give up. My DS loves to eat though- so instead of a bottle, he would get cottage cheese instead- that stopped the tantrums once he realized he was getting his favorite. I just have been very careful to make sure he always has a sippy cup of water or juice available and that he's drinking enough. He will drink from a sippy cup well enough- just not alot at a time... good luck!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2007, 12:59 PM   #20
lippeaveboys
Banned

I definetly second the water in a bottle, maybe it will be boring to her...
I dont know kids are so funny like that....
Just remember and I tell this to myself all the time that the things they do now using a paci, still in diapers those kind of things. They wont be doing it down the aisle on there wedding day.
I have family thats all over me about PT my 2 year old... I just say when he's ready he'll be ready and of course they make comments he's not going to be able to go to kindergarten if you dont start now...
I just do the rolling eye thing and the subject gets changed.
Good luck...
My son doesnt even know how to drink from a cup, he wont he wants his sippy.
and of course I give in.
lippeaveboys is offline   Reply With Quote