Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
jenbo
Registered Users

Baby Food Storage Containers...your favorites?

My soon-to-be-adopted (in three days! Whoo!!) DS is just past the 6 month mark, and he experienced runny rice cereal for the first time today and was totally into it! So now I'm wrapping my head around starting solids. When I do start making my own baby foods, which storage containers work best? There's a lot of choices out there -- help!!

Advertisement

jenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Re: Baby Food Storage Containers...your favorites?

I personally just make everything, put it into ice cube trays covered with plastic wrap (I heard not to use tinfoil because it could "flake" into the food). Then the following day I put all the cubes into their respective freezer safe ziplock bags, labeled and dated, and they store in the freezer. For meals, I was using these: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20 which I was very happy with. But once he cleared the 4 cubes a meal volume, they wouldn't hold more cubes. Each cube is about 1 oz. the bowls hold more in volume, but the cubes in cube form wouldn't fit. Just so that makes sense!

So I just picked up some nice containers at the store, not babyfood specific, and they work fine. I store 3 - 4 days in the fridge at a time. Since they are frozen, I figure by the time they thaw out they're really only being refrigerated for 2 days to 3 max.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
I personally just make everything, put it into ice cube trays covered with plastic wrap (I heard not to use tinfoil because it could "flake" into the food). Then the following day I put all the cubes into their respective freezer safe ziplock bags, labeled and dated, and they store in the freezer.
This is what we did. We bought ice trays with covers though. Then thaw as you go. Used tupperware/ziplock containers and sometimes glass baby food jars for on the go. the jars don't seal well after they are originally opened, but we used them when the food wouldn't be in the container long- from house to restaurant type thing.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh- BTW- Congratulations!!!!!
Old 07-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
MrsA08
Registered Users
seller

I like these from Amazon. The company themselves have excellent customer service as well. I had one crack (it was kinda my husbands fault) and they sent me a whole new pack. they make bigger ones also. I also use the little 2 oz round containers from walmart, but three of the lids broke when they fell out of the freezer, so they are kind of worthless, but very inexpensive and easily replaced.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
jill_wv
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Congrats on the adoption!!

Now is a great time to start making baby foods because there are so many fresh goodies in farmers' market stands right now.
A few things to get if you don't already have--a steamer basket, a food mill/food processor/magic bullet--just something to grind it up.

I used ice cube trays to freeze some things and I also found some Ball brand plastic freezer jars on clearance, and I also use Avent breastmilk storage containers. All worked great for differnet things. I liked the frozen cubes to use here at home since they thaw quickly and it's a small portion which is great in the beginning. I liked the Ball jars for big batches of mostly fruit, I could thaw it in the fridge and then take out what we needed and it stayed good in the fridge for several days. And the breastmilk storage containers were perfect for the diaper bag or on the go.
jill_wv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

I loved the Baby Cubes, and we still use the 2 oz ones a lot. They are perfect for a little leftover veggie snack for my DD to help herself to from our fridge.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
BeanDip
Registered Users

There's a lady who started a business making glass baby food containers. Some people like to avoid plastic. I don't recall what her business is called though, but I always thought that was a great idea.
BeanDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:59 PM   #9
jenbo
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
Oh- BTW- Congratulations!!!!!
Thanks so much -- we are thrilled and beyond excited!!
jenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:15 AM   #10
momof_3

Formerly: momof_2girls
seller
seller

My Mood:

We never really used baby food in our house but my cousin does and she uses these.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/B004B7R3L2
They are a bit expensive but really nice and I've seen them get dropped even and they don't break.