Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
rachelstella
Registered Users

My Mood:
Nipple Pain with 13 month old

I have had nipple pain (both sides, worse on right side) for about three months now. I had this same pain a few months ago for a few weeks too. At first I thought my son was gnawing on me because he was getting teeth but I don't see how that could still be going on--if it ever was. And then I thought it must be yeast, but it seems to only be on my nipple and is different than previous yeast infections. I generally don't have any pain when he is not eating, maybe a minute after, but that is all. The pain will be more at some feedings than others for some reason. My son also seems to be pulling out while eating, mainly on the right side, which is a bit unusual for him and intensifies the pain. Pain isn't burny like, but hurts like a raw sore.

Any thoughts? I am pretty sick of this. I kept thinking it would go away, but obviously it is not! I really don't want to wean just yet, but I am starting to seriously consider it. It can be extremely painful at times.

TIA!

Advertisement

Last edited by rachelstella; 07-27-2011 at 12:33 AM.
rachelstella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
LittleClaraLove
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't have an answer but I'd love to find one, too. I've got the same issue going on with 10mo dd.
LittleClaraLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:29 AM   #3
rachelstella
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Nipple Pain with 13 month old

Really?! You mean I'm not alone. Isn't it driving you mad!! It's like I'm breastfeeding a brand new baby all over again--but it is lasting for months!
Old 07-27-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
Murphett
Registered Users

My Mood:
It could be teeth. I had this at different times with both DD's. Sometimes when they are in weird positions their upper teeth pinch into my skin a bit. Look and see if there is a little tooth indention when you are done nursing.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
rachelstella
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphett View Post
It could be teeth. I had this at different times with both DD's. Sometimes when they are in weird positions their upper teeth pinch into my skin a bit. Look and see if there is a little tooth indention when you are done nursing.
Will do, thanks!
Old 07-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
sungold17
Registered Users

Is it constant pain or does it really come and go when you stop and think about it?

My number one guess is you are having nipple pain related to your fertility cycle. Are you having your period yet? Do you have any signs of fertility? (Like egg white cervical mucus?)

Some moms get nipple pain when their bleeding actually starts. Others at ovulation. I get pretty painful nipples for a few days while ovulating. Chart it and see if this might explain it.
sungold17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
rachelstella
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungold17 View Post
Is it constant pain or does it really come and go when you stop and think about it?

My number one guess is you are having nipple pain related to your fertility cycle. Are you having your period yet? Do you have any signs of fertility? (Like egg white cervical mucus?)

Some moms get nipple pain when their bleeding actually starts. Others at ovulation. I get pretty painful nipples for a few days while ovulating. Chart it and see if this might explain it.
I don't usually have the pain unless I am feeding except for the times when it is really bad during a feeding and then I will have the pain for a couple hours if not longer. Some feedings are defiantly more painful than others and sometimes there are days and weeks that are more painful followed by periods that are less painful. Right now it has been extremely painful (think being poked on the nipple by a needle!) during a feeding and I am having nipples pain all day now.

I haven't had my period yet. I have never had nipple pain except for when I am pregnant or nursing but it is possible it might start up now. It does seem weird that I would have the pain for months without a period but maybe my hormones have been changing a bunch getting ready for a period. Actually, I had the tiniest tinge of red a few weeks ago and again yesterday. Hasn't turned into anything more than that.

Thanks for the thoughts! I'll see if I can notice any kind of pattern with the pain.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:07 PM   #8
sungold17
Registered Users

Hi,
I actually meant does it hurt (while nursing) every day or just for a few days, then feels better for a while. I only have the nipple pain when I"m actually nursing my toddler (and I'm ovulating.) I don't remember having any nipple pain during my cycles when my 7 yr old was nursing, so I think our individual reactions can change.

It does sound like your period might be starting soon or your body is gearing up (and remember it is possible to ovulate before that first period!)

If you are having nipple pain even when you aren't breastfeeding, you might want to read up on raynaud's syndrome.
sungold17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #9
momof2littles
Registered Users
seller

Couldyou be pregnant?
Old 07-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
rachelstella
Registered Users

My Mood: