Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-07-2006, 06:34 PM   #1
Nhmommyof3
Registered Users

Which should I get?

I was going to get a set of 12 little lambs for 90 something but then I was told that it was the lady that is ripping everyone off so I decided against that so I looked on heinyking.com and found 2 package deals that sound good. Bumkins AIO 6 pack or fuzzibunz aio 6 pack. Now remember please I am new and these will be my only diapers. Is this enough??? I was also thinking of getting 2 dozen premium diapers, 6 Prorap classic covers, 6 large microfleece liners, 3 snappis. Which do you all think will be better and enough for a beginner?? I was thinking the 3rd option but that I should ask you all. Also is it hard to do the diapers in the covers with the liners and are the liners for all day or just at night?? Now that I am all set on this all I have to do is convince SO he is not to sure about poo in the washer...

Advertisement

Nhmommyof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
aliks
Registered Users
seller

Re: Which should I get?

You have to try out dif ones to see what works, my boy is really skinny, so bumkins don't fit him well but fb fit him perfect! I started out w/12 fb but I had to do a lot of laundry. The diaper fairy (from a dif board) visited me and I just added a few more here and there when I had the money. I've only done pockets and aio, so I have no clue about the other stuff!
aliks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:57 PM   #3
momto3boys
Banned
seller

if you are wanting this to be the bulk of your stash definentely go with the prefolds and covers. I would get the prefolds and then as many covers as you can - you can rinse and hang dry them and be able to reuse them. As far as the fleece liners you can just buy fleece at wal-mart or a fabric store and cut it into strips for liners. Also how big is the baby you will be diapering?? premiums are too big to just lay into most covers unless you want to use a snappi to fasten them on. HTH Kelley
momto3boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:05 PM   #4
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It depends on how often your little one poops and pees and how often you will do laundry. For my heavy wetter, 6 fuzzibunz stuffed with chinese prefolds would last 1 day if he only pooped once. Pocket diapers do have an advantage over AIOs because the absorbancy can be adjusted. As for Proraps and prefolds, these are cheap and work great! You can reuse the cover all day (unlike pockets and AIOs) until it gets soiled or stinky. I used them without a snappy with no problems. Pockets are a little easier for putting on for those changes on the go, though. As for fleece liners, you can get them much cheaper at a fabric store or walmart. Any polyester fleece will do, just cut it up the right size and it won't fray at all! They are nice to use in every diaper, and especially at night because it keeps baby's bottom dry and rash-free. Liners also make cleaning poop easier. Exclusiviely breastfed poop is water soluble and can be washed in the machine no problem. Once solids are introduced, you gotta blast the poop off into the toilet with a sprayer or with the jet blaster on a hose into a bucket then dumped down the toilet. Some dunk the dipe in the toilet or use a diaper duck, too.

I started out with 6 proraps, 2 dozen prefolds, and 3 fuzzibunz and did laundry every 3 days and washed the covers by hand if needed. HTH! Congrats for choosing cloth!
Old 06-07-2006, 07:20 PM   #5
EmmalinesMom
Registered Users
seller

6 diapers wouldn't last a full day here. That said, if you are easing into cloth, you could add to your stash a bit at a time and still use whatever sposies you may have at home.

I have both Bumkins and FBs in our stash for Catie, but I prefer the Fuzzi Bunz most of the time. I like that you can adjust the amount of stuffing in them for night time, car rides, etc. The Bumkins are not very absorbant, but I have sewn in microfleece topped hemp doublers and that helps a lot. With the doubler, I really like them pretty well too.

Prefolds and covers are going to be your most economical bet. I've used that system on both of my girls off and on, and sometimes I long to go back to the simplicity of basic prefolds and covers! Depending on how often and how much your son pees, 2 dozen prefolds would be enough for washing about every other day, I would think.

As for poop in the washer, you can always buy or make a diaper sprayer and that really helps minimize the amount that actually goes in the washer. It's not really a big deal though, and you can periodically clean your machine if needed.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy cloth!
Old 06-07-2006, 07:20 PM   #6
Nhmommyof3
Registered Users

I think I will get the last option then and then a few fuzzibunz since we are very low on cash at the moment. So let me make sure I have this all straight with the covers and prefolds you fold the diaper and put it in then put in a liner for extra absorbancy. With the fuzzibunz there is a little pocket you can stick the prefold or liner in? I really truelly do need a CDing for dummys book like I said earlier!
Old 06-07-2006, 07:29 PM   #7
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

We have Fb's and love em! But, maybe I'm just anal about changing, we have 20 for 2 days. We also have a few fitteds for the afternoons when she doesn't wet very much. W/ Fb's, most people use a Microfiber liner like what comes with nickisdiapers.com's fuzzi bunz. I think also cottonbabies.com and fuzzibunzworld.com or something like that come w/ free inserts.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:33 PM   #8
Nhmommyof3
Registered Users

Oh yeah I forgot to tell you all he is 17 months and he wets ALOT!
Old 06-07-2006, 08:26 PM   #9
lararum
Banned

You can get microfiber towels at Walmart or Target to stuff pocket diapers with.
If he wets alot you might need two at a time. I started of with six Happy Heinys when I started cding dd at 16mos. We did alot of laundry. The prefolds and covers are definitely the most economical option. I would say you need at least 12 diaper options per day, sometimes they are pee/poop machines, some days you might only need 6-8. Good luck.
lararum is offline   Reply With Quote